Delayed and Cancelled conventions

It's like trying to hit a moving target, keeping track of these Cons!

Last year many Cons changed dates, some more than once, only to cancel anyhow.

This year, so far, has been a repeat of 2020 in that regard.

Monsterpalooza, formerly in Pasadena CA has been re-branded "Son Of Monsterpalooza" and will be held at the Marriott Burbank Hotel on October 8-10 2021.

Ontario Comic Con December 18 & 19 2021 has tickets on sale.

Stranger Con Los Angeles has been moved to January 8 & 9 2022.

Doesn't look like the Las Vegas Comic Con will happen.

I have tickets for FanX Salt Lake, SiliCon San Jose, and Los Angeles Comic Con, all supposedly happening in 2021.

Monsterpalooza, formerly in Pasadena CA has been re-branded "Son Of Monsterpalooza" and will be held at the Marriott Burbank Hotel on October 8-10 2021.
No, they've been doing this for years now - the original large Monsterpalooza is still in Pasadena and is in the Spring. Son of Monsterpalooza is a smaller offshoot that's in Burbank in the Fall.

As I mentioned in another thread, Denver Pop Culture Con (formerly Denver Comic Con) has been acquired by FanExpo. The first FanExpo Denver is slated for 2022 (dates TBD), but they are looking into possibly holding a smaller event in October.

Sean

FanExpo Denver recently announced a small con Halloween weekend! FAN EXPO Denver I A three day weekend offering big family-friendly events, bigger workshops, and huge world-renowned celebrities!

I’m excited to see what FanExpo brings to the con.

Sean

No, they've been doing this for years now - the original large Monsterpalooza is still in Pasadena and is in the Spring. Son of Monsterpalooza is a smaller offshoot that's in Burbank in the Fall.
Thanks for the correction! I've been to Monsterpalooza but for some reason I'd never heard of Son Of Monsterpalooza.

DisCon III, the 79th World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon) was delayed until December 15 - 19. It's location was changed to the Omni in Washington DC. DisCon III

SF & Fantasy literature focus, secondary focus on other media, hall costumes welcome, Masquerade competition on the Saturday night (typically). The Hugo Awards are given out at this con.

SiliCon San Jose is supposed to still happen, however a couple days ago I got an email saying that they have added a host of new restrictions due to the rebound of Covid cases.

One of these restrictions will be a temperature check; anyone with a reading too high will be denied entrance.

Where I work we all had to do daily temperature checks, and we found that these inexpensive forehead thermometers (in the hands of people who aren't medical professionals) often give false high readings, especially if the person has been walking outdoors on a hot day, and particularly if they were wearing a hat. Seems that the forehead being in contact with the hat-band raises its temperature. To get a correct reading we had to get the person indoors, have them take off their hat, and sit for a few minutes.

Being that San Jose in August might be hot, and that the people will be approaching the Convention Center by walking outdoors, I expect a large number of false high readings. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for travel and accommodation only to be denied entrance due to the false reading of a $15 thermometer being used by somebody who doesn't know what they're doing.

So I've cancelled my trip. Too bad I can't get my ticket refunded even though SiliCon unilaterally changed attendance rules without giving us options.

Last edited:
Phoenix Fan Fusion, which had been moved to January 14-16 2022, has now been moved again, to May 27-29 2022.

This puts it on the same weekend as Star Wars Celebration May 26-29 2022.

I have passes for both! which have been rolling over multiple times since I purchased them in 2020.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back