Delayed and Cancelled conventions

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Dr Jones Sr

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
2020 LA Comic Con (aka Comikaze) tickets went on sale today. I got the "three session" pass.

December 11-13 2020.

Each of the three days will be divided into a morning and afternoon session.

I didn't see anything about selecting which sessions you want, which I assumed you would decide at the time you bought your tickets.

We shall see if they're able to actually do this thing!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SickleClaw

2020 LA Comic Con (aka Comikaze) tickets went on sale today. I got the "three session" pass.

December 11-13 2020.

Each of the three days will be divided into a morning and afternoon session.

I didn't see anything about selecting which sessions you want, which I assumed you would decide at the time you bought your tickets.

We shall see if they're able to actually do this thing!
I am still unsure whether this convention will actually go on at it's scheduled date. I mean, I am only able to go for one day probably, so I decided to wait until the one day passes go on sale later this month. Then it will likely be decided.

Dr Jones Sr

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Cancelled, really no surprise.

I'm letting my passes roll over to 2021.

What I don't know is what the "three session pass" will translate into if 2021 has a normal schedule. Will three half days mean three full days?

SickleClaw

Yeah
Cancelled, really no surprise.

I'm letting my passes roll over to 2021.

What I don't know is what the "three session pass" will translate into if 2021 has a normal schedule. Will three half days mean three full days?
I don't know what that will mean either. The three session pass definitely seems very inconvenient, but it might change depending on what happens.

Dr Jones Sr

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So here in Greater Los Angeles, here's the cancellations I see so far for 2021:

Anime LA (Ontario Convention Center) new dates January 6-9 2022

Long Beach Comic Expo (Long Beach Convention Center) new dates February 12 & 13 2022

On the other hand, 2021 tickets are currently on sale for:

Stranger Con (Los Angeles Convention Center) March 20 & 21 2021

Phoenix Fan Fusion May 28-30 2021 (yes I know it's in a different State, but within driving distance)

Last edited:

masterjedi322

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update - DPCC has officially been canceled for 2020. The city of Denver continues to use the convention center as an overflow medical facility, and intends on doing so through the end of the year.

DPCC 2021 is currently scheduled for 14-16 May 2021, which is great news as it does not overlap with any major holidays as has been the case the last few years.

Sean
And another update - Denver Pop Culture Con 2021 has also been canceled with plans to return in 2022.

Sean

Supe

I'm really hoping this doesn't last through the entire year.
I fully expect that it will. Convention centers require massive cash outlay for rent, and with any kind of social distancing measures in effect, you're going to lose a lot of vendors and likely be unable to let enough bodies through the door to even break even.

I do hope that the extended break results in some REALLY cool costumes/props for 2022, though.

Dr Jones Sr

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Things like polio and tuberculosis were virtually wiped out in first-world countries through universal vaccination.

I expect Covid will be like that as soon as the various vaccines are available widely enough.

There was a football game the other day where they announced that everyone entering must produce a recent negative Covid test.

I can see the near future when events will require proof of vaccination for entrance. Then no masks or social distancing would be necessary.

In any case I took the risk of buying a pass for Phoenix in May.

ksj

Things like polio and tuberculosis were virtually wiped out in first-world countries through universal vaccination.

I expect Covid will be like that as soon as the various vaccines are available widely enough.

There was a football game the other day where they announced that everyone entering must produce a recent negative Covid test.

I can see the near future when events will require proof of vaccination for entrance. Then no masks or social distancing would be necessary.

In any case I took the risk of buying a pass for Phoenix in May.

The problem I fear is an institutional bias to continue allowing the Corona virus which includes the common cold aka the flu to continue. I expect that we could never truly beat the common cold was due to the mutagenic nature of the bug. I have a feeling that despite what has been done it may be for naught. And I am wondering when SPARS will become an issue as well...

enterprise0216

Sr Member
Not that it’s a convention, but Tinker AFB has also cancelled their upcoming 2021 Air Show. Reason given to much of a risk with mass gathering of people cannot guarantee people safety with the pandemic. I suspect maybe 2022 might be the year of Sci Fi and Comic Convention will not happen. I agree all these event center cost big bucks to open and operate. They make their profits from people attending, Vendors showing up and buying tables, Same thing for Fan Club Communities they also buy tables etc etc.
My concern is buying tickets and driving or flying wherever only to arrive spend a night at the hotel only to be informed the following day it was cancelled because of something COVID related. Yes it stinks, but until event organizers / promoters get permission from the powers that be it’s all touch and go.

ksj

Not that it’s a convention, but Tinker AFB has also cancelled their upcoming 2021 Air Show. Reason given to much of a risk with mass gathering of people cannot guarantee people safety with the pandemic. I suspect maybe 2022 might be the year of Sci Fi and Comic Convention will not happen. I agree all these event center cost big bucks to open and operate. They make their profits from people attending, Vendors showing up and buying tables, Same thing for Fan Club Communities they also buy tables etc etc.
My concern is buying tickets and driving or flying wherever only to arrive spend a night at the hotel only to be informed the following day it was cancelled because of something COVID related. Yes it stinks, but until event organizers / promoters get permission from the powers that be it’s all touch and go.

I have been suspecting as much about 2022 as well. Really read into the 1918 spanish flue pandemic. I did an analytical write up on another forum I haunt and I will link that here when I can get a chance to remember. There are some significant historical notes that differentiate it from now mainly the fact that in the 1940s less than 40% or so of all standing homes hand indoor plumbing with hot water. Chloronation and public water was only a mainstream thing in the early 20th century. But more to the point the roaring 20s were a result of the pandemic and the resulting 1930s stock market trash can some what be attributed to the failed debts from the1920s and late 1910s, though further research has led me to conclude that that prohibition was the main contributing factor and cause of the stock market crash which was a direct result of the growth of protestant christianity and the banding together the temperance movement created and that movement left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth that in the 50s they made it such that no church can campaign for an office or political stance.

So beyond we can look forward to another stock market crash in the coming years. The historical precedents and trends are there.

I will still contend that the bug was around in early 2019 but because of a multitude of factors it was not recognized until the 2020 fiscal year which started in september/october.

If we follow historical trends it could be 2022 or it could be 2023. It could be mid to late 2021. I just know that everything being pushed down and forced upon everyone is not going to last much longer. I have been reading that too many countries are dealing with a populace that are pushing back at everything so that it appears in a few months the lock downs and forced restrictions will be impossible to effectively enforce.

ksj

I looked through what I had written was in posts and not an individual thread. I did some analytical write ups contemplating if the virus was engineered. A little bit too conspiratorial but some rather compelling evidence does exist, but, such postulations would detract from this thread. All I know is COVID-19 is just the start and with only having to invest 20k to make your own home into a level 4 bioweapons research lab, anyone could tweak this bug into any number of things. Lockdowns in this regard are a very, very, very bad idea...