Delayed and Cancelled conventions

2020 LA Comic Con (aka Comikaze) tickets went on sale today. I got the "three session" pass.

December 11-13 2020.

Each of the three days will be divided into a morning and afternoon session.

I didn't see anything about selecting which sessions you want, which I assumed you would decide at the time you bought your tickets.

We shall see if they're able to actually do this thing!

2020 LA Comic Con (aka Comikaze) tickets went on sale today. I got the "three session" pass.

December 11-13 2020.

Each of the three days will be divided into a morning and afternoon session.

I didn't see anything about selecting which sessions you want, which I assumed you would decide at the time you bought your tickets.

We shall see if they're able to actually do this thing!
I am still unsure whether this convention will actually go on at it's scheduled date. I mean, I am only able to go for one day probably, so I decided to wait until the one day passes go on sale later this month. Then it will likely be decided.

Cancelled, really no surprise.

I'm letting my passes roll over to 2021.

What I don't know is what the "three session pass" will translate into if 2021 has a normal schedule. Will three half days mean three full days?

Yeah
Cancelled, really no surprise.

I'm letting my passes roll over to 2021.

What I don't know is what the "three session pass" will translate into if 2021 has a normal schedule. Will three half days mean three full days?
I don't know what that will mean either. The three session pass definitely seems very inconvenient, but it might change depending on what happens.

So here in Greater Los Angeles, here's the cancellations I see so far for 2021:

Anime LA (Ontario Convention Center) new dates January 6-9 2022

Long Beach Comic Expo (Long Beach Convention Center) new dates February 12 & 13 2022

On the other hand, 2021 tickets are currently on sale for:

Stranger Con (Los Angeles Convention Center) March 20 & 21 2021 EDIT: Stranger Con moved to July 17 & 18.

Phoenix Fan Fusion May 28-30 2021 (yes I know it's in a different State, but within driving distance)

Last edited:
Update - DPCC has officially been canceled for 2020. The city of Denver continues to use the convention center as an overflow medical facility, and intends on doing so through the end of the year.

DPCC 2021 is currently scheduled for 14-16 May 2021, which is great news as it does not overlap with any major holidays as has been the case the last few years.

Sean
And another update - Denver Pop Culture Con 2021 has also been canceled with plans to return in 2022.

Sean

I'm really hoping this doesn't last through the entire year.
I fully expect that it will. Convention centers require massive cash outlay for rent, and with any kind of social distancing measures in effect, you're going to lose a lot of vendors and likely be unable to let enough bodies through the door to even break even.

I do hope that the extended break results in some REALLY cool costumes/props for 2022, though.

Not that it’s a convention, but Tinker AFB has also cancelled their upcoming 2021 Air Show. Reason given to much of a risk with mass gathering of people cannot guarantee people safety with the pandemic. I suspect maybe 2022 might be the year of Sci Fi and Comic Convention will not happen. I agree all these event center cost big bucks to open and operate. They make their profits from people attending, Vendors showing up and buying tables, Same thing for Fan Club Communities they also buy tables etc etc.
My concern is buying tickets and driving or flying wherever only to arrive spend a night at the hotel only to be informed the following day it was cancelled because of something COVID related. Yes it stinks, but until event organizers / promoters get permission from the powers that be it’s all touch and go.

FYI: A website that has some addtl info re: Cons

Some West Coast US updates.

EDIT: updated June 2021

Anime LA Ontario cancelled 2021 moved to January 6-9 2022.

Emerald City Comic Con has been moved to December 4-5 2021. Tickets still not on sale.

FanX Salt Lake September 16-18 2021 tickets on sale!

LA Anime Expo cancelled for 2021.

LA Comic Con September 24-26 2021.

Las Vegas Comic Con has no tickets and no dates listed; "June 2021 dates unconfirmed".

Long Beach Comic Con September 4 & 5 2021 no tickets on sale.

Long Beach Comic Expo cancelled for 2021, moved to February 12 & 13 2022.

Monsterpalooza changed to "Son Of Monsterpalooza" October 8-10 2021 Marriott Burbank Hotel.

Ontario Comic Con December 18 & 19 2021, tickets appear to be on sale.

Phoenix Fan Fusion cancelled for 2021, tickets will roll over to January 14-16 2022.

San Diego Comic Con has been moved to November 26-28 2021 (being billed as "Comicon Special Edition")

SiliCon San Jose August 28 & 29 tickets on sale.

Star Wars Celebration Anaheim May 26-29 2022.

Stranger Con Los Angeles has been moved to January 8 & 9 2022.

Wondercon cancelled for 2021.

Last edited:
Looks like anything march is a toss up of go or no go. April and beyond is iffy, but may, june, july events look like they might happen...

Phoenix Fan Fusion 2021 has been cancelled.

I just spent some time there visiting family, there's no mask requirement in Arizona so I thought there was hope.

New stated dates are January 14-16 2022. They say all passes will roll over.

As I mentioned in another thread, Denver Pop Culture Con (formerly Denver Comic Con) has been acquired by FanExpo. The first FanExpo Denver is slated for 2022 (dates TBD), but they are looking into possibly holding a smaller event in October.

Sean

Fanboy expo in Knoxville, tn (knox county) is doing an October event as they could not book for the summer event.

Local board of health just had their power stripped and folks are clammering to get the city/county opened back up so that they can compete with surrounding counties.

Conapalooza in Kingsport, TN in October is cancelled this year again due to conflicting scheduling and health limitations and the organizer for it does not want to get nickel and dimed to death which is what all the venues are doing right now as they are bleeding anyone really wanting an event to death dry just to make up for the fact that their leadership created a situation in the first place.

Across the board it appears that any county with a local board of health with powers or city/county officials with health pnwers are over stepping bounds to certain extents and creating environments in which it is not profitable and not conducive for events to even survive let alone make a profit.

The hotel industry is in dire straights and they are looking at every opportunity to nickel and dime you to death. This has been the bigger factor as well as often times the hotels run the venues/own them. So be careful on your bookings, if they cancel do not expect a refund and in some cases o opportunity to rebook.

I just updated and expanded my list above.

Looking grim for 2021.

FanX Salt Lake is one of the few Cons selling passes for 2021, I'm going to purchase one and keep my fingers crossed.

SDCC is onboard for a december date. I do think December is going to become a clustered date of cons so prioritize your cons...

SDCC is onboard for a december date. I do think December is going to become a clustered date of cons so prioritize your cons...
They've abandoned their Thanksgiving weekend dates? I know they got a huge amount of pushback about the Thanksgiving weekend from pretty much everybody, celebrities and industry people as well as fans.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back