death star

I did a search of Learman's posts. He used to work for Icons awhile back.

CCTV domes? They might just be a possibility.

3 ft diameter for DS I.

4 ft diameter for DS II.

Sounds like a measuring would seem to be in order.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1271639[/snapback]</div>
I've seen Lasse Henning's work on that one. Fantasic...

His was what...half-scale?
[/b]

Roughly half -- yes...

Just got off the phone with an acrylic supplier...

My interest is the ANH version, so guess how much for a 3' hemisphere?

Ph....thanks for that second link... Wonderful.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]1271643[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Interpolating from their prices, I'd say around $ 200 per half.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]1271644[/snapback]</div>
Ph....thanks for that second link... Wonderful.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]1271643[/snapback]

[/b]

Interpolating from their prices, I'd say around $ 200 per half.
[/b][/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Only $109 per hemisphere. (and sorry for all the guessing games.)...

Additionally, they are only an hour's drive for me and I have a van. Otherwise shipping would be insane -- $25 each JUST TO PACK, not including postage...

I am in southern Caifornia, and would seriously entertain a collaboration if anyone is interested...

109 per half?

Excellent.

That puts a DSI well within the range of affordability for many, shipping costs notwithstanding.

As for a collaboration, I can't commit to any arrangements at the moment. My schedule is in a state of flux and the Death Stars could be up to 2 years away on the horizon.

Comparing notes about how to proceed I'm certainly open to. And I thank you again for that supplier link.

Factor in packing and shipping, it's probably back up to $200 per half.

Treadwell/ Hand solo,
I guess you found the word 'oblate'. Yes fatter at the equator. I spent about three days trimming the edges before it was correct to the eye. The thing is put together and comes apart in 2 halfs with a lighting source in each. I havent worked up the cahones to cut the radar dish yet. It will need about another full week of play time and then its done. But for now it has sat in my shop for a year in blistering heat and hasnt warped yet. I think I am into it about $300 so far. Now its time holding it up and another 50 or so bucks.

Very nice PH... Look like a major pain in the behind doing all those windows. ;)

I would like to clear some of my current "out" commissions off my books before having this done, but I think it may be possible to take on a "Studio Scale" DS-II for '07'. I imagine this will be a 1 year-plus project,.. though 1 year or sooner isn't beyond possible. It would just be a matter of directing time and funds correctly. I had 3 "Studio Scale" Star Destroyer designs planned for commission in '07', (Republic, The Devestator of EpIV, and The SSD Executor), but I think this will will override their start dates for a short time. Well,.. at least 2 of them..lol. ;)

What do you think?

^ I think I could take on a DSI as early as Mid-'07, if that was your inclination.

But I don't know yet what all you have in the lineup to have done and with whom in the interim.

A DS II? Dunno. It took a team of ILM modelmakers a few months at least...

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 1 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1272107[/snapback]</div>
^ I think I could take on a DSI as early as Mid-'07, if that was your inclination.

But I don't know yet what all you have in the lineup to have done and with whom in the interim.

A DS II? Dunno. It took a team of ILM modelmakers a few months at least...
[/b]
A DS II is what I would want to have done. I agree it is a huge project. That is why I was thinking 1 Year. Of course the possibility of collaborator's may be discussed as well.

I do have many build-ups for you when you are free in Sept. and imagine that buy Jan 07 many of them can be completed. We'll talk more about the DS II's start date upon their completion.

Exciting isn't it? A DEATH STAR II .... Did you ever imagine doing this as a kid? I never thought of even having the ability to have it done back then. ILM seemed like gods. Well... kind of still are. LOL.

Going to Scott's shop today.... call ya later.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 1 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]1272111[/snapback]</div>
We'll talk more about the DS II's start date upon their completion.[/b]

rotj_vader8.jpg

" The Death Star WILL be completed on schedule, my Master..." :D

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Exciting isn't it? A DEATH STAR II .... Did you ever imagine doing this as a kid?[/b]

Yes and yes.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
I never thought of even having the ability to have it done back then. ILM seemed like gods. Well... kind of still are. LOL.

Going to Scott's shop today.... call ya later.
[/b]

Okeeday.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 1 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1272123[/snapback]</div>
I would be up for making a DSII, very cool small moon that one is.
[/b]

If we rape the metallurgical resources of several hundred worlds and a few million asteroids, I'm sure we can whip something up. Like maybe something a few hundred kilometers in diameter.

Or something. :love

If any of you guys are willing to work in the 8" range, you could always get one of those floatong globes and rework that.

Theoretically, you shouldn't run in to any of the problems I had with my hovering training remote. The larger hemisphere and added greeblies were just too much for the original magnet. And my lack of indepth knowledge when it comes to electromagnetic levitation didn't help either.

All you'd have to do is paint the globe and add a laser dish - that shouldn't change the weight by much at all. Then you'd have a free floating Death Star. I've been considering doing it to my spare 5" globe.

-Fred

I read that recently two boys found the ROTJ Deathstar in a storage unit, and sold it BACK to Lucas. The piece quoted the model as being SIX FEET...
Is this story true, and was it 6 feet or four?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back