death star

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by hartmann, Jun 24, 2006.

1. hartmann

hartmann New Member

y has to you it a project by master replica of death star yes or not

2. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

? Que ?

3. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hartmannph @ Jun 25 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]1267677[/snapback]</div>

not

4. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

:confused

OWEN: Do you speak Bocce?

THREEPIO: Of course I can, sir. It's like a second language for
    me...I'm as fluent in Bocce...

5. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(EchoLeader @ Jun 25 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]1267751[/snapback]</div>

OWEN: Alright, shut up. ;)

6. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:confused
    :eek
    :rolleyes
    :(

and finally

:unsure

7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

8. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

[​IMG]

We got Death Star. We got Death Star. We got Death Star.

9. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Um.....well.... ummmmmmmm

Is the question regarding if MR should do a Death Star?

10. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jun 28 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]1270506[/snapback]</div>
    I'd take nothing less than a 4-footer.

Of course, I'd have to sell off a few things. House. Wife. Kids. Toothbrushes. That sort of thing.

11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Why four feet...? ANH original was three feet in diameter.

12. Cirielle

Cirielle Active Member

I would love to see it but I would :cry at the price.

13. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

How big was Return of the Jedi's DS? I LOVED the New Hope version, but ROTJ's detail would be amazing and probably very $$$$$$.

14. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

It's only a bloody great empty plastic sphere with grey paint, a lump and a line gouged out - why would it be expensive? Oh, MR - right of course.
    :D

SAS

15. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Ahhhh, but the ROTJ version was not an empty sphere. Much in detail. :)

LOL... MR... yes indeed. ;)

16. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 29 2006, 05:22 AM) [snapback]1270630[/snapback]</div>
    ROTJ's DSII was 4 feet.

Heck. I like my 'stuff' Plus-Sized.. ;) :lol

17. PHArchivist

Ah. DSII -- or as my 6YO son calls it, the "Death" (incomplete name comensurate with incomplete battle station.)

A 3' replica of the ANH station has always been a dream project of mine, but where too put it.?

18. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 29 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1270784[/snapback]</div>

On your dining-room table? It'd make a perfect centerpiece for a romantic dinner at home. :love

19. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The trick would be the paint job. MacQuarrie did exquisite work right on the model. Getting anywhere near that from the factory would be problematic and expensive.

20. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I'm going to build me a six-inch diameter DS I and call it good.

20 dollars for a couple of Plastruct clear hemispheres, a little dremel work, one high-output white LED and LOTS OF PATIENCE replicating that McQuarrie job in miniature and I'll be happy.

So much for me wanting a 4 footer and no less. :D

21. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Speaking of the paintjob - anybody got any good ref pics of the ANH DS? I'd like to see the model vs. any matte paintings they may have done.

Thanks,
    =Raj

22. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

23. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Yup... I think this would be a must have in Studio Scale. BOTH the ANH and ROTJ versions. :)

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jun 29 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1271042[/snapback]</div>

Find me 3 and 4 foot translucent spheres.

I'll get to work. :love :p

25. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

To whet your appetite...

Here's an image of Bill George of ILM working on DS II:

[​IMG]

27. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had to have the spheres custom made here in LA. Kicker is the deathstar is egg shaped and not round.

28. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wider at the equator than it is tall, yes, but do you really mean egg shaped, as in fat at the top and skinny at the bottom?

29. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lear60man @ Jun 29 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1271292[/snapback]</div>
    It's oblate. ;)

The look is easy enough to achieve. You just cut the edge of each hemisphere back just a bit.

30. Jango_Fett_Jr

Jango_Fett_Jr Well-Known Member

Pretty crazy, I was just thinking about a Death Star 1 project today at work. I've got so many projects on the go I wouldn't be starting for a while, but I'm hoping to find some more info out there on the original model.

The Star Wars 365 Days book has a couple pages about the model on day 43:
    "Distant views of the Death Star were originally planned as a matte painting. When initial test shots of this painting were deemed to be not realistic enough, it was decided to build a model instead. A three-foot diameter construct was created from two blown Plexiglas hemispheres. In order to produce the tiny lights on the surface, the clear plexiglass was opaqued by painting it silver (silver paint is much better at blocking light than black paint); after the final suface details were added and the final paint job finished, light points were added by scratching the model down to the clear plastic. A bright stage light was positioned so it shined through all the tiny scratches.

The Death Star originally had its laser eye along the equator, as seen in the matte painting. When this approach was abandoned and a model built, the laser eye was moved above the equator. However, the computer graphics for the briefing-room scene were already complete, and it was too late to change them, so the original design can still be seen in the film."

31. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ One day, I WILL do a 3 footer.

As practice, I'll be doing basically a 1/6 scale. My approach, coincidentally is the same as you just described for painting and lighting.

1. Clear plastruct hemispheres cut or sanded back and then roughed up to be translucent.

2. Superlaser dish hole cut and then built in.

3. Initial paint coat of silver.

4. Light gray color coat.

5. Patterns laid out with a specially made compass guide attached at the pole.

6. Darker gray shot in panels.

7. Using compass guide, make many many many lines drawn in with both thick and thin mechanical pencil leads on the dark panels.

8. Single H/O white LED mounted internally..aided with solar garden light reflector(s) if necessary.

9. Tiny nicks made anywhere that light is to be permitted to show.

In theory, quite simple to make. In practice, well....I'll be finding out.

32. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(hartmannph @ Jun 25 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]1267677[/snapback]</div>
    Have you used Babel fish to translate from your language-English, if so , it kinda translates into no sense sentences sometimes ;)

33. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Why don't we do a "Studio Scale" of that DSII Bob? After getting the sphere shape taken care of,.. that small and tiny detail is right up your alley for the surface and individual decks. ;) Then there is the billion light sources. LOL. This may be one to place on the books.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 01:13 AM) [snapback]1271320[/snapback]</div>

34. PHArchivist

I have what I call a 1/4 scale Death Star... Its actually the ERTL kit which is 9" in diameter (1/4 of 36".). I customized it to improve the equater and the dish.

I drilled holes in only the front 75% of the model.

Guess how many holes I drilled?

35. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jun 30 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]1271444[/snapback]</div>
    Let's put that in the queue. And give me a pretty generous deadline AND budget. But Oh Yeah...I'd love to give that project a whack. It'd be the ultimate. :love :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]1271480[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

" You drilled a Go-Jillion holes. You did that on a Tuesday, Jenn-ay. That's all I got to say about that. "

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I'll be hiring Geonosian and Wookiee slave labor to build Kurt's. :D

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]1271480[/snapback]</div>
    At 9 inch Diameter.... just the front.... I will guess.... sayyyyyyy......... about 2500? :confused

In any case,... that's alot of drilling. You have my respect.

I think we would avoid the drill on the Studio Scale if possible. Maybe a clear fiberglass shell like Richard is doing on my 41" 1701E commission. What do you think Bob? :confused

Lear60man.... is that Bill George? :confused

Well... maybe a few fiber optics wouldn't be bad. Did anyone of you work on the real deal here? If so,.. and Lucas doesn't flame your behind,.. feel free to tell all please. ;)

38. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jun 30 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]1271551[/snapback]</div>
    Fiber is one option. But someone else will have to lay those up and make the hemispheres. It would be really useful to find out the upper size limit of acrylic or some other plastics and who can make them that large. We'd be looking for four things:

1. Cost.

2. Uniformity of the curvature.

3. Overall durability.

4. Compatibility with finishing materials

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    That's got me thinkin'. More data, please. :D

<div class='quotetop'></div>

FO would work in some areas such as the exposed decks and reflected lighting near the interior would be my preliminary plan.

39. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jun 30 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]1271551[/snapback]</div>

Close, but not quite (Scroll down).

If that is Bill posting in our little world, we should feel blessed and graced.

9" diameter ball, 75% drilled for lights = 10,000 holes

But good point -- as this was the ERTL it in non-translucent lastic, I had to drill all the way through... On clear acrylic, you wouldn't have to go all the way.

And I'm fairly certan 3' diameter hemispheres can be found. But 4' or 5'...? Call a Union 76 station. I heard they're dismantling all they 76 Ball marquees....

40. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I have two large acrylic old CCTV domes that would be perfect for this.....hmmmmm...

41. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I did a search of Learman's posts. He used to work for Icons awhile back.

CCTV domes? They might just be a possibility.

3 ft diameter for DS I.

4 ft diameter for DS II.

Sounds like a measuring would seem to be in order.

42. PHArchivist

If you have not seen this page, it is required reading for those interested in this project:

Scratch-built Death Star

Also, there are some "Death Star VIPs" who ARE members of the RPF...

Additionally

Check this out...

43. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I've seen Lasse Henning's work on that one before on his site. Fantasic...

His was what...half-scale?

44. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1271639[/snapback]</div>

Roughly half -- yes...

Just got off the phone with an acrylic supplier...

My interest is the ANH version, so guess how much for a 3' hemisphere?

45. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Ph....thanks for that second link... Wonderful.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]1271643[/snapback]</div>
    Interpolating from their prices, I'd say around $ 200 per half.

46. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]1271644[/snapback]</div>
    Interpolating from their prices, I'd say around $ 200 per half.
    [/b][/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Only $109 per hemisphere. (and sorry for all the guessing games.)...

Additionally, they are only an hour's drive for me and I have a van. Otherwise shipping would be insane -- $25 each JUST TO PACK, not including postage...

I am in southern Caifornia, and would seriously entertain a collaboration if anyone is interested...

47. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

109 per half?

Excellent.

That puts a DSI well within the range of affordability for many, shipping costs notwithstanding.

As for a collaboration, I can't commit to any arrangements at the moment. My schedule is in a state of flux and the Death Stars could be up to 2 years away on the horizon.

Comparing notes about how to proceed I'm certainly open to. And I thank you again for that supplier link.

Factor in packing and shipping, it's probably back up to $200 per half.

48. PHArchivist

project and budget wise, its a bit in the future for me to. But within the next year is a possibility.

49. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Treadwell/ Hand solo,
    I guess you found the word 'oblate'. Yes fatter at the equator. I spent about three days trimming the edges before it was correct to the eye. The thing is put together and comes apart in 2 halfs with a lighting source in each. I havent worked up the cahones to cut the radar dish yet. It will need about another full week of play time and then its done. But for now it has sat in my shop for a year in blistering heat and hasnt warped yet. I think I am into it about $300 so far. Now its time holding it up and another 50 or so bucks.

50. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ You should put up some progress photos. :love