Death Eater costume help... And then build.

I totally agree about the tongue, but I'm at work and couldn't articulate it well enough. You did very well with that one.

Also, I have exhausted hours looking at your reference pics... On my phone. No Internet at home right now.

This has been the most revealing pic, though... I believe, anyway!

Thanks.

Alright guys...

I'm pretty sure I can work out the tunic, but I'm stumped on the pattern for the cloak! Anyone got one? A pattern, I mean.

That fabric wasn't "off the shelf" so I dont think you'll get one as they were done by hand. I think you'd probably just need to create a template from the stills. You could even just draw on the swirls (using taylors chalk or something similar), and then stitch over them

Note:
Some of the swirls were sewn, some were drawn, and some were a mix of both, so to get an authentic look you may want to try the same.

Both of my reference libraries (DH and OotP) have some nice reference pics, but I'd head to the OotP one first as there are some shots like these in there (these are a bit blury as they've from screengrabs, but there are some high res ones too):

Showing the sewing being done (and you can just make out the trace pattern)
3043946408_5499db61d4_o.png

Showing some "weathered" versions:
3043110643_29bab2e280_o.png

Swirls on some leatherwork:
3043110557_da866d938e_o.png

Lucius' OotP (Death Eater Outfit) Tunic Pattern:
3043109663_7c5865f22d_o.png

This one is quite dark, but what it shows nicely is how each Death Eater's swirls and fabric vary:
3043946138_4199c21601.jpg

They all have the swirls, but the swirls themselves seem to have random size, direction, shape, compression (i.e. some are like very loosely sprung springs, and other seem more tightly wound), different colour threads, different amounts of weathering, etc... and yet the beauty is, they're all still obviously so related. Very nicely done.

I dont think you'd get this kind of effect if you used a regimented template/printed patterned fabric, and that's why they look so organic I think.

Check out the "Costume drama" documentary as that's where those screengrabs are from. It's a really great insight into the work of the costume team!

Last edited:
Once again, kessa, awesome reference pics! And thanks for taking time to help.

I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I'm looking for a sewing pattern for the cloak. So I can sew my own. I'm fairly new to sewing construction, so I'm afraid i'd make an illfitting cloak. If someone has a pattern that they used, I'm savvy enough that I could alter it to fit and for specific details. I think it's very impotrtant that it falls properly and the hood rests properly on the shoulders to get the menacing look of the death eaters, and I don't know enough about construction to make a pattern from scratch.

Sooo... Time is running short, so I've altered my plan. I'm thinking of buying a black sith robe and modifying it. Removing the sleeves, mainly. Or, if you guys knows someone who makes the sleeveless style death eater robe for an affordable price, I'd much rather pay someone on the RPF, than give my money to s complete stranger.

I'd say that the fabric is a very heavy slub peace silk or Noil Silk ( peace silk doesnt kill the caterpillar but creates a far rougher natural silk.)
You could also create the effect with a heavy slubby fabric in a natural fibre. in the UK we have Whaleys that do many of these types of fabric. you could always send them photos of the costume fabric details and ask if they have anything like it.

I like that boot. I looked at those for a whe, but ultimately, I settled on more simple design.

It's the same company, I think, but it's called 'superhero' I believe. I'm just going to add the ankle straps like the one in the previous reference pics.

But I do like this boot a lot!

I found a guy who can recreate the holsters perfectly right in my own town. He's definitely a leather expert. Still working on finding hardware that I like.

Nice. Have you looked at the ones without the hardware? The ones with the leather that wraps directly around the O-ring.

I've got a few pics of what Robert's refering to if that helps, but here's a quick one to show you what he means:

5327438784_210f590ac7_o.jpg

See that the Death Eaters visible to the immediate left (pos1) and right (pos3) of Emma have the non-metal work versions, whereas the DE's in Pos 4& pos 6 have the metal work versions.

and here's a bit more of a clearer pic:
5504274186_c5306a140d_b.jpg

Personally I have to admit to prefering the metal work versions as the others look a bit too simple (as if something is missing), but they're not supposed to look like uniforms so it's good that they are different.

Still need to hem the bottom, and find a suitable tunic. After looking at so many reference pics, I'm pretty sure I have a shirt already, I just have to dig it outta my garage. Then pics!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back