DEAD SPACE Helmet - Lights installed

Re: DEAD SPACE Helmet WIP

I cant wait. I'm building a Dead Space costume and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the helmet.
I'm excited to see this all lit up!!
What are you making the rig out of? are you going to sculpt it?
I made my rig out of craft foam. you can check it out if you want :)

I cant wait. I'm building a Dead Space costume and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the helmet.
I'm excited to see this all lit up!!
What are you making the rig out of? are you going to sculpt it?
I made my rig out of craft foam. you can check it out if you want :)

Thanks! I saw your DS rig, nice job. My rig will be made out of styrene as a base and foam for the details.

I added the face shield plates where the light will go. I got the look by using very fine sandpaper on the backside of thin plexiglass then ftting them in place.
Yes, I can see. There are very small gaps in the middle slot near the top and upper slot near the bottom. If I hold my head at the right angel I can see fine. I tested this by walking around my house and up stairs with the helmet on. Lights are on order and should arrive next week.

ds5_zps6d23873d.jpg

Let there be Light!!! I wired 25 LEDs in for the glow. I used cool white LEDs then hand painted them with acrylics to achieve the desired color.
ds9_zps48a1dd82.jpg

ds7_zpseeac6215.jpg

This looks really nice. I have a question though. What kind of acrylics did you paint the LEDs with? I have cool white LEDs too and wasn't sure what to color them with. I've heard of people using aqua sharpies but I wanted something a little more permanent and that wouldn't rub off. I saw window catcher paint and was thinking that would work but I haven't bought any to try.

This looks really nice. I have a question though. What kind of acrylics did you paint the LEDs with? I have cool white LEDs too and wasn't sure what to color them with. I've heard of people using aqua sharpies but I wanted something a little more permanent and that wouldn't rub off. I saw window catcher paint and was thinking that would work but I haven't bought any to try.

I used liquitex heavy body paint but you want to thin it and add it on in layers. That way you tint the LEDs you don't paint them and obscure the light.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for XD
I'm hoping to build one of these in the near future. I'm thinking of building mine out of craft foam
What is the one piece of advice that you would give somebody starting out on this?
Also where did you find all the reference pictures from I am having trouble finding them
It looks amazing btw I love it

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for XD
I'm hoping to build one of these in the near future. I'm thinking of building mine out of craft foam
What is the one piece of advice that you would give somebody starting out on this?
Also where did you find all the reference pictures from I am having trouble finding them
It looks amazing btw I love it

Thanks, Honestly if you are just starting out I would try and find a pep file for foam and build it that way. Sculpting this by had was no easy task! You might want to mock it out of paper first because most of the dead space helmets I have seen on the web are way to big. As far as the reference I replayed the game through to where Issac gets the level 3 suit and left a save. That way I can keep going back to see little details here and there.

Last edited:
Amazing work, I'm just starting work on this myself, can't wait to get stuck in! Fingers crossed I can get it anywhere near as good!

Thanks for all of the awesome comments and feedback! I will be moving on to the back rig next. I hope to have the entire costume done by March for Planet comicon in Kansas City

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back