Davy Jones hat - WIP

claymore61

So onto the next Davy Jones prop.

you guys will be aware that DJ has a few key features, apart from his face :rolleyes
We have the crab claw, crab leg, crab pipe, and the hat. The rest is mainly costuming with some barnacles.
I'm in process with the main face and tentacle sculpt, and moulding the pipe.
but onto the hat....
i looked around for one off the shelf, and saw the one being sold at captain Jacks, but the price was waaaay beyond my budget. Plus, it looks like they've stopped trading after 10 years. I am , however going to use it as a reference, as the original was obviously CGI.

aaaanyway, I've never made a hat and never slept with a hatmaker, so I'll need to make it up as I go along.

first stage get the former for the skull cap and its back to old school papier mâché .
i coated the former with some Vaseline to help the release, then coated it over with strips of paper soaked in diluted PVA.

After I make up the basic shape etc, the plan is to cover it with black felt and decorate with barnacles etc.

Watch this space...........:facepalm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
Instead of PVA glue, try wallpaper paste, mixed really thick. It works great for papier mache. Dries hard as a rock.

Instead of PVA glue, try wallpaper paste, mixed really thick. It works great for papier mache. Dries hard as a rock.

Too late Bornkillr , I've already started, but thanks.
I've used PVA before, it's pretty strong, and I always have it handy. Lol

Just an update guys, but still a bit away.......

I thought I'd create a wee practice piece for me to test various bits and bobs, paint, techniques etc.

I painted some layers of latex at the bottom of he sculpt, just around the chin area.
I also made a mould of a " secondary" tentacle, made a couple, then stuck them on.

First time - not too shabby, but loads to do.

The pic shows the hat in progress too, but that's a bit away also. See my other post for the WIP on. The hat.

Keep watching, and as always, comments welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
I bought a felt hat blank from these guys. , I never finished my hat. But you can use a spray bottle mixed up 8 ounces of shellac to 4 ounces of alcohol. Sew anchors of the rim to the bucket part to make its shape. Then spray it, and let it dry.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back