Darunia - Ocarina of Time build

fallimar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So! One good completed build thread deserves another. Now I've finished the Space Pope it's time for another large and unwieldy costume project, and I've been wanting to make something form the Zelda games ever since I started playing them years ago when the N64 was still a thing. Since I am a sexy potato shape I prefer to do bigger characters, and the Gorons are fabulous. Darunia is the most fabulous Goron, so I'mma build him. I'll be running off the OoT design but using the more up-to-date art from Hyrule Warriors to help bring out the details that you don't see in the old low-poly model.

That sorted, I've done a derpy looking proportion sketch to make sure it'll work. Gotta shrink the head slightly and play with the arms so things line up better, but I'll definitely be doing arm extensions. Not sure if I'll build or purchase them because building something mechanical isn't my area - but if all else fails I can easily whip up some static ones, no sweat.
Other stuff... hm. Well, I'm considering using fleece again for the skin since the Space Pope went so well, though since Antron is so pricey I was considering using something like regular anti-pill fleece... But then I figure if I'm doing that then I might as well just scour fabric shops for anything relatively usable. I guess I could try latex-coating the foam or something instead, but it won't squash the foam down like fleece does so it won't give the smoothing effect I'm used to and won't stretch anywhere near as well to cover moving parts. Unsure.
I'm also considering trying to do interchangeable faces, since he has two expressions in the game, his normal face and the creepy dancing face with his eyes closed and mouth open.

So, it's back to foam fabrication. I went out and bought sheet foam (a third of the price if you buy skins and just carefully tear off the rigid skin part!) and a spare block offcut for the arms and any thicker parts. I'm hoping to keep most of him hollow for weight and heat considerations, and if I can I'll run computer fans in his head and tummy so I don't die of face-melting. At least I can start on the head base and figure out where I want to go. Not sure what I'll do for the beard/hair yet, though I expect I can shape some EVA and lay crepe hair over the surface so it doesn't go anywhere, if that works. EVA for the bracelets and anklets, more EVA freehand for the back rocks and that's it really. shouldn't be too complicated, just a big build.
And now I've posted this, I have no excuse not to get it moving. Woo!

Rough proportion sketch:
DaruniaProportions.jpg

and references:
Darunia_OoT_3D.pngDarunia_(Hyrule_Warriors).png200px-Darunia.png

Last edited:
Could you use the nostrils for eye holes?
This looks promising. I am following this build.

Cheers!
Yep, I'll make the facial features from painted mesh (maybe not the entire eyes) so even though my face won't be right up close to the face I'll have a small field of vision. If you do it right it's not apparent that it's see-through!

I always seem to start with the head. Roughed out a foam base, cut eye and nose parts for reference, now I'm blocking in features.
After this I'll trim the head into a better shape and stat adding the beard/hair understructure.

I'm still unsure what I'll do with the eyes, but the nose is open because I want to have that as a frontal vision port, so the nostril distinction will be done with paint only. Shouldn't be horribly visible, if it is I'll add a little definition with thin foam, but I'm hoping not to have to.

DaruniaEarlyFrame1.jpgDaruniaEarlyFrame2.jpgDaruniaEarlyFrame3.jpg

So that's where I am right now - did a quick paintover of the second pic to see if I like where the features sit - looks like it'll work just fine so far:
DaruniaPaintyface1.jpg

The is thread is right up my alley. I've been wanting to do Goron Link from MM for a while now, but I had no idea where to start on the bodysuit. I'll definitely be watching this thread for ideas on how to tackle my own project.

Lookin' good so far!! And if it caves, then you could make an awesome grumpy cat outta the mask thus far too! So awesome.

The is thread is right up my alley. I've been wanting to do Goron Link from MM for a while now, but I had no idea where to start on the bodysuit. I'll definitely be watching this thread for ideas on how to tackle my own project.

Awesome! I'd love to see it, I hope this thread helps you out and you can improve on my techniques :)

Lookin' good so far!! And if it caves, then you could make an awesome grumpy cat outta the mask thus far too! So awesome.

Haha! It really does look so grumpy. Raw rough foam work always looks so terrible, I love how much better it gets once you start adding skin!

I always start with the head too. I feel it sets the proportions for the entire costume.

True! Darunia has a massive, massive head o..0

~~~~~

In other news, I spent this afternoon thinking about how to do the hair eventually. Still not entirely sure but for now I'm blocking in the basic hair shapes. I have to cut them down a bit and then figure out how to add detail in the way I want to.

DaruniaHairblock1.jpgDaruniaHairblock2.jpg

You could lay/glue wig hair onto the shapes you carved out?

That's the idea so far, I need to trim them, move them around a bit, fill in the shapes on the back of the head so they're all 3D and stuff and carve in some lines for a more textured look. I think I can get some synthetic hair off ebay relatively cheaply, and I can lay it on with glue and then airbrush.

Fixing hair placement and texturing the beard. I'm just using a craft knife to cut channels into the foam to represent clumps of hair and gluing some of the strips that are cut out on as high points. Seems to be working. I'll see how it looks with hair over it as soon as my braids arrive.

BeardTexture1.jpgBeardTexture2.jpg

I'm continuing the texturing tomorrow, but it takes so long to do. Oh well! Once the front is textured I've got to go in and add pieces until the hair is all 3D spikes instead of just plates. Might leave the backs of the three bottom points open so they don't catch on the body, but the rest need to be all enclosed.

More work on Darunia - textured up the front parts of the hair, added more panels to the top and glued mesh into the vision ports.

DaruniaHairBlocking1.jpgDaruniaHairBlocking2.jpgDaruniaHairBlocking3.jpg

Considering removing the cheek crescents and just rounding out the face more. I think his cheeks are lower and rounder in the games.

The hair is plodding along at a snail's pace - getting each panel shaped correctly, textured then glued in is a bit of a chore. Still, plenty done since the last post though it may not look it - I've been filling in the back of the head with hair spike thingies. You can see my little sacrificial pin forest in the last pic there, organised chaos. heh.

DaruniaHairprog1.jpgDaruniaHairprog2.jpgDaruniaHairprog3.jpgDaruniaHairprog4.jpg

WAH! Finally!
Damn, always feels crappy when you've done so much work but it looks like no progress at all. The hair spikes are all 3D now, I've got one set of hair to glue down but the colour is a bit too blonde so I've ordered some white to mix it with. Once I have that I can start laying the synth hair on, then once I get the fleece I'll start laying the face.
For now, I think I'll tackle an arm. Fwooar... just that head frame has taken 3/4 of a foam skin roll.

View attachment 439552View attachment 439553View attachment 439554

Unfortunately I'm seeing "Invalid attachment" for the photos on that last post. This is a really cool build so far though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back