Darth Vader Loses His Powers?

DS Operative

Sr Member
Has this been brought up before?

I was just thinking. I'm really not a big fan of the "midichlorian" storyline that says the more you have in your body, the stronger you are with the force. But that's a completely different argument that's already been covered dozens of times before....

Since Anakan had his limbs chopped off, it would suggest that he had less blood volume than a normal person and therefore fewer midichorians in his system. Which would suggest that he lost some of his power in the Force.

Am I off base on this? I look forward to hearing your replies.

(All in fun, please don't take this too seriously and start arguments :p )

I figured the Emperor might have found a way to mechanically augment them with the suit and cybernetics he's fitted with. Mind you i just thought of this lol. Don't give Lucas ideas for any new footage though.

Hmmm. Didn't Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan say that Anakin had more midichlorians in him than they had ever seen? If so, it seems that even with some loss, he would still be stronger than most. Alternatively, there's no reason they couldn't regenerate, in essence, making him even more powerful because they are an increased concentration in a smaller volume.

If neither of those theories work, how about "'cause that's the way it was written!" ? :lol

I took it to mean he was weaker. Yes strong, but still weaker which is why he's so tragic. He could have been the next ruler, but instead was nothing more than an enforcer. Look at ANH. He's essentially Tarkin's lacky. ESB he shines on his own. ROTJ he's back to being essentially a gopher for the Emperor. Go here and wait, then bring him to me.

Read Cyborg, the original 6 million dollar man novel. Because he doesn't have to supply bodily resources to his limbs, even with reduced force ability, he's a Juggernaut. He can run and swing that saber all day and not get tired. With the replacement of limbs he's even more powerful and effective a fighter than before.

Wasn't there something about this in the EU that it was because his arms were gone that he couldn't do the force lightening thing?

"Life creates is makes it grow."

That's why Yoda hid on Dagobah, he used the Force (and all the life on Dagobah) to hide.

Vader is definitely less powerful, but still more than most others. Note: no super jumping and fancy fighting moves.

Midichlorians are not what generate the force..they are merely attracted to the creatures that are strong with the force. They are just a convenient way for them to measure how much of the force a person has in the PT.

Or so I've been lead to believe....

"The magnitude of the midi-chlorian count served as a measure of one's potential in the Force,[9] though there were other inheritable characteristics that could influence Force ability as well.[10] Indeed, though Force ability often meant a high midi-chlorian count, it was not always the case.[11] "

"Midi-chlorians could be influenced by the Force to create new life, a technique developed by Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Plagueis.[12] There was even a possibility that they could induce conception in a Human; Anakin Skywalker was believed to have been conceived by the midi-chlorians, with no biological father.[2] This was considered impossible by many Jedi, however, and the idea received only shock when it was first proposed to the Jedi Council.[1]"

"Blood rich in midi-chlorians could be transfused into an injured organism to keep it alive, but this would not transfer any of the blood donor's Force-sensitivity.[14] T"

I think Mic nailed it. I have always believed that Vader was less of a Bad Mutha Hush Yo Mouth (What? I'm Just Talkin' 'Bout Darth!) because he was "More machine than man now.", and the prequels pretty much confirmed that for me. Seriously, Ep.III Anakin would have diced Luke without breaking a sweat.

Midichlorians are not what generate the force..they are merely attracted to the creatures that are strong with the force. They are just a convenient way for them to measure how much of the force a person has in the PT.

Or so I've been lead to believe....

So who are you going to believe?

Qui-Gonn in a PT movie?

Or Yoda in TESB?

That's what I said when the movie came out; 'I guess he's just a lackey now'. He was talking about taking on the Emperor before. Now he's a goon in a suit. And no doubt the Emperor can control him by the suit somehow.

But then he lost an arm in Ep 2 and he still got stronger, or more skilled at least. Or was he tapping into the dark side already? And if he was, then why couldn't he use the dark side to boost his remaining 'force bugs'?

Lucas has said this several times. Less body means that Vader could never live up to the potential that Anakin had. He also can't use Force Lightning because he doesn't have real hands. This is why the Emperor tries to get Luke to take his father's place because Luke could be more powerful.

I seem to remember reading a comment from Lucas years ago where he said that in ANH Obi Wan could have easily defeated Vader, but could do more good in the Force than living. This was before the Prequels so I took the intent to be that Obi Wan just had better training than Vader.

I seem to remember reading a comment from Lucas years ago where he said that in ANH Obi Wan could have easily defeated Vader, but could do more good in the Force than living. This was before the Prequels so I took the intent to be that Obi Wan just had better training than Vader.

That makes no sense. If he could have beaten Vader, they could all leave and Ben would still be alive. The only times he helped Luke as a spirit was to tell him to shoot and go to Dagobah. He could have used a radio to do that.

The rebels would have still destroyed the Death Star and lost fewer pilots with no Vader shooting them down.

He basically sat around during Luke's training, and Luke had no reason to end his training too soon. He and Luke and Yoda vs the Emperor.

That makes no sense. If he could have beaten Vader, they could all leave and Ben would still be alive. The only times he helped Luke as a spirit was to tell him to shoot and go to Dagobah. He could have used a radio to do that.

The rebels would have still destroyed the Death Star and lost fewer pilots with no Vader shooting them down.

He basically sat around during Luke's training, and Luke had no reason to end his training too soon. He and Luke and Yoda vs the Emperor.

Unless Obi knew Luke battling Vader when he was ready was the only way the Jedi could return.

Let's not give Lucas too much credit story wise. Obi turned out to be a punk in the end. Vader, even half a man was toying with him like a cat playing with it's prey.

I subscribe to the theory that Vader did loose much of his power and never reached his full potential do to his loss of limbs and damaged organs. Still, a pretty bad ass dude though.

swmmo.jpg

It made sense to Obi Wan because somehow he became more powerful. Don't know how, but I guess it made sense to him and Lucas. :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back