Darth Sidious Light Saber/ Anakins??

Darth Tyranus 7

Has anyone else noticed in ROTS, when Mace Windu, and the other 3 Jedi confront Palpatine in his office.
When his light saber drops out of his sleeve, it's the saber that belongs to Sidious.
But once the fight starts, he's using a saber that looks just like Anakins, but with a red blade?
What up with that??
SORRY if this has been dicussed before, I didn't know of this til the other day, when I slowed the flim down, to better see the moves in everyone's fighting style, and I noticed that Palpatine's saber is just like Anakin's, but red bladed.

THANKS.

In another version of that scene, Anakin goes with Mace and the others to arrest Sidious, only to have Sidious force pull Anakin's saber and fights the crew with it.. Some of the scene's were meshed

Yup, thanks to some rewriting but not reshooting, Sidious uses Ani's Graflex in half the fight. I guess Uncle George didn't think anyone would notice. :p

Originally posted by allosaur176@Jan 10 2006, 02:55 PM
In another version of that scene, Anakin goes with Mace and the others to arrest Sidious, only to have Sidious force pull Anakin's saber and fights the crew with it.. Some of the scene's were meshed
[snapback]1155479[/snapback]​

Yep, post production changes to the scene. There either wasn't an opportunity to reshoot the sequence (actors moved on to other projects/sets dismanteld), or they didn't feel it warrated the time/effort/expense. I suspect the latter. If the paychecks for actors and crew and rent for studio space and equipment came out of your pocket, would you reshoot the scnene?

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Jan 10 2006, 12:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Jan 10 2006, 12:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-allosaur176
@Jan 10 2006, 02:55 PM
[snapback]1155479[/snapback]​

Yep, post production changes to the scene. There either wasn't an opportunity to reshoot the sequence (actors moved on to other projects/sets dismanteld), or they didn't feel it warrated the time/effort/expense. I suspect the latter. If the paychecks for actors and crew and rent for studio space and equipment came out of your pocket, would you reshoot the scnene?
[snapback]1155483[/snapback]​
[/b]

After seeing that in a still before the movie came out I thought it would bother me, but I can't even really notice the difference while I'm watching the scene so it doesn't bug me at all. The Obi/Ani saber swap is more annoying...hopefully ILM fixes it in a future DVD release. Oh well, continuity errors happen in all movies...ROTS is still awesome.

After seeing that in a still before the movie came out I thought it would bother me, but I can't even really notice the difference while I'm watching the scene so it doesn't bug me at all.  The Obi/Ani saber swap is more annoying...hopefully ILM fixes it in a future DVD release.  Oh well, continuity errors happen in all movies...ROTS is still awesome.
[snapback]1155498[/snapback]​

Yeah, I agree - just a continuity error accounted for by an earlier version of the script.

It is quite apparant in some of the shots, if you go looking for it.

The saber goof that bugs me is Grevious fighting obiwan with...obiwan's (and Anakins) lightsabers. :rolleyes

Oh well, you can't have everything - ROTS still rocks, regardless. :thumbsup

Originally posted by Probe Droid@Jan 10 2006, 03:02 PM
Yup, thanks to some rewriting but not reshooting, Sidious uses Ani's Graflex in half the fight. I guess Uncle George didn't think anyone would notice.  :p
[snapback]1155482[/snapback]​

After all they are just "Laser Swords" ;)

Originally posted by ob1al@Jan 10 2006, 04:26 PM
The saber goof that bugs me is Grevious fighting obiwan with...obiwan's (and Anakins) lightsabers. :rolleyes

THANK YOU... I refused to believe that I was the only one who is bothered by that, but it never gets mentioned. I also wish the LucasFilm prop makers had made more designs for the various and sundry Jedi in the prequels rather than the 4 basic "Clan" models. But we can see how much trouble the prop masters had getting the right props in the actors' hands as it is, so maybe it was a good logistical choice.

i personally think its sad that LFL couldnt make more sabers... or hell im sure that people in the prop community woulda donated plenty if were asked...

and the GG thing... im sorry i dont see an excuse. that needs to be fixed.

and the ani saber is VERY obvious to me, one time seeng sids with a tiny single handed almost impossible to see hilt (his) then a big ol shiney chrome hunk of metal that he is holding with both hands with parts still visible... to me they could have at least used CGI tricks to make it at least not blatently chrome.

Not to veer too OT, but a thought: As Palpy loses his saber in the duel with mace Windu, what saber does he use to fight Yoda with? Is it supposed to be the same one?

Originally posted by ob1al@Jan 10 2006, 02:33 PM
Not to veer too OT, but a thought: As Palpy loses his saber in the duel with mace Windu, what saber does he use to fight Yoda with? Is it supposed to be the same one?
[snapback]1155630[/snapback]​

In the novel its explained that he keeps an identical backup hidden in his office.

And you know, with all the things they did with CGI (transplanting faces, making closed eyes open, etc) I'm surprised that they couldn't make the Graflex hilt look like Sidious', at least in a visual sense, if not in scale.

Originally posted by ob1al@Jan 10 2006, 09:26 PM
After seeing that in a still before the movie came out I thought it would bother me, but I can't even really notice the difference while I'm watching the scene so it doesn't bug me at all.  The Obi/Ani saber swap is more annoying...hopefully ILM fixes it in a future DVD release.  Oh well, continuity errors happen in all movies...ROTS is still awesome.
[snapback]1155498[/snapback]​

Yeah, I agree - just a continuity error accounted for by an earlier version of the script.

It is quite apparant in some of the shots, if you go looking for it.

Oh well, you can't have everything - ROTS still rocks, regardless. :thumbsup
[snapback]1155502[/snapback]​
Didnt keep the movie from getting 3 1/2 stars outta 4. :p
Great movie. Noticed it the first time I saw it, but never bothered me ethier. :thumbsup

Originally posted by jlee562+Jan 10 2006, 06:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jlee562 @ Jan 10 2006, 06:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ob1al
@Jan 10 2006, 02:33 PM

In the novel its explained that he keeps an identical backup hidden in his office.

And you know, with all the things they did with CGI (transplanting faces, making closed eyes open, etc) I'm surprised that they couldn't make the Graflex hilt look like Sidious', at least in a visual sense, if not in scale.
[snapback]1155633[/snapback]​
[/b]

jlee, my thoughts EXACTLY, and some of the most heavy face transplant stuff is in THIS SCENE. seems like while someone was getting paid big bucks to stare at this frame by frame, they woulda taken note...

of course kevin baker (kennys son, and actually a friend of mine) told me some horror stories of working on TPM (where he was a crew member) and people pointing out GLs "errors" and how much longer they were working for LFL... or the movie buisness in general... im not going to go into detail on who and how, but i promise you... i believe him whole heartedly and its kinda bad. (edit to clarify no one was killed in the filming of TPM. LOL.... realised it sounded kinda bad)

so maybe i just answered my own question...?

ILM CGI guy:"hey georgie... um this is a different lightsaber than this one..."

Lucas to rick mcallum:"kill him... DO IT." JK... :p

Originally posted by oldken+Jan 10 2006, 03:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Jan 10 2006, 03:20 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jlee562@Jan 10 2006, 06:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ob1al
@Jan 10 2006, 02:33 PM

[snapback]1155633[/snapback]​

jlee, my thoughts EXACTLY, and some of the most heavy face transplant stuff is in THIS SCENE. seems like while someone was getting paid big bucks to stare at this frame by frame, they woulda taken note...

of course kevin baker (kennys son, and actually a friend of mine) told me some horror stories of working on TPM (where he was a crew member) and people pointing out GLs "errors" and how much longer they were working for LFL... or the movie buisness in general... im not going to go into detail on who and how, but i promise you... i believe him whole heartedly and its kinda bad.

so maybe i just answered my own question...?

ILM CGI guy:"hey georgie... um this is a different lightsaber than this one..."

Lucas to rick mcallum:"kill him... DO IT." JK... :p
[snapback]1155668[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah, but on the other hand, it gives hope to aspiring film students like myself, who are too lazy to correct their own continuity errors. We too can make multi million dollar flims one day. :D

Originally posted by oldken@Jan 10 2006, 02:27 PM
i personally think its sad that LFL couldnt make more sabers...
[snapback]1155622[/snapback]​

I think it's very sad considering how many sabers were made for EpI and barely even saw screen time. I don't see why they couldn't have used some of those designs.

Originally posted by Chingon+Jan 10 2006, 07:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chingon @ Jan 10 2006, 07:31 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-oldken
@Jan 10 2006, 02:27 PM
i personally think its sad that LFL couldnt make more sabers...
[snapback]1155622[/snapback]​

I think it's very sad considering how many sabers were made for EpI and barely even saw screen time. I don't see why they couldn't have used some of those designs.
[snapback]1155679[/snapback]​
[/b]

yeah, but even those lacked diversity, and are almost the same as those found in AOTC and ROTS anyway. :( just kinda grey bland hilts with black and/or red buttons. the main character designs have nothing in common, unless you get into the OT, but thats another discussion, and it at least has answers, but well save it for another time. :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back