Darth Maul Saber Wall Mount Build/Interest

Hatefrost

So after receiving Anakin Starkiller’s latest kit I got inspired to make my own wall mount for it. I’m going for the later years Maul or even Savage Opress horns look as inspiration for the build.

IMG_8026.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

IMG_8039.jpg

Starting to model clay over foil and wires on plywood. Not sure if there’s a better/easier way to do this.

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

Got the rough details of the horns finished.
I let the saber rest on this, it held and was balanced. The width of the wood is 8 inches, and the widest space between outside horns is about 8.5 inches.

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

The plan now is to add some clay to the base and round it out a bit to mimic the shape of the forehead. Then I’m still not sure if the tattoos will just be carved in outlines of the design or fully recessed.

I’m also not sure of how to mold this exactly, I bought this Smooth-On 30 and was planning on taking it apart when it’s finished and molding the horns and base as a 1-part mold then keeping everything together with screws.

IMG_8102.jpg

Would this be enough to hold the weight of the saber or should it be molded as one solid piece?

What kind of resin should I use, and is there a way for me to mold in reinforcements?

I appreciate any and all help in this! Thanks

You know I’m a huge fan of this project!

I’ve always had good luck with smooth-on 300

I’m also a huge fan of mold Star T30 silicon, it’s a platinum silicone so the mold lasts a lot longer

It’s probably easier to find something on YouTube

I personally would probably do a 2 part mold.

Then with the wood plaque, screw some screws in so the threaded part is sticking out of the face of it

Then pre drill the correct size holes to match the thread into the resin cast horns. And screw the horns to the plaque

I would use the end where you drill the holes for the screws on the horns as the pour spout

Let me see if I can find a video tonight and share it here

Wow thanks man
Really appreciate it

Gonna be getting the resin and silicone you recommended this week.

Again, that’s just the stuff I like to use

I don’t remember if I mentioned the mold release spray? That’s kinda a must

You can use other alternatives, but since this is your first go, it just makes things so much easier for ya

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back