Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files

Yeah the problem comes in that if he modelled all the parts separately rather than as a cohesive piece then none of the scales will relate at all. Hopefully that's not the case though.

I've found the easiest way to scale parts is to upgrade to the latest Pepakura Designer.

It lets you measure the distance between two points on the 3D model. Then I measure, say my forearm and increase / decrease the scale of the 3D model until the measurements are 'close enough' to fit me physically.

C

OMG you can measure from point to point?!?! This would have saved me sooooo much time. Thanks for the tip, Simple.

*Off to play with Pepakura Designer*

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a Mark VII helmet Pepakura file? I saw the directory with just about everything else partwise in the directory (by Darkside5).

As a matter of fact, the only foam Pep file I have for the helmet is Mark III

OMG you can measure from point to point?!?! This would have saved me sooooo much time. Thanks for the tip, Simple.

*Off to play with Pepakura Designer*

Yeah - I read it in a thread here (maybe even this one?) and upgraded. I find it makes things waaaay easier.

C

Dancin fool, thank you for taking the time to reply to my message lol. I was fully expecting to be shot down in my tracks lol.

Darkside's file defaults are all over the place, I've just gone through them:
19... 21... 23... 22.5...
1.67???? (very surprised at this scale... its the upper forearm modified by ironmaided).

The fluctuation between scales has confused the pants off me.

I noticed that too, and also noticed the overall assembled measurements changed when I adjusted the scale, as Simple says. I am assuming, since the files all come from Darkside's storage space, that the scales all relate to one another, and should be adjusted at the same numeric value. That's a BIG assumption on my part, so do not take it as gospel, but checking the basic mm measurments of an assembled piece (once the scale has been changed) in the pepakura desinger leaves me at least marginally confident this should work. I have also used a tailor's measuring tape to double/triple check the numbers on myself and a mannequin. I am just over 6'1", and so far scaling the cod/abs at approximately 26 seems about right, and I will work outward from there.

Worst case is I adjust the scale again and remake the piece, which should not be too much of a headache since I have decided to go the foam route for most of the armor, as opposed to fiberglassed pep.

Well I have sat there for a few hours tonight measuring myself, rescaling, rechecking, more measuring, checking against robos files and I am confident I have the right scale. For those the are wondering, I'm 5'11.5" slim build.

I have gone with a scale of 25 all over except the chest back and flight stabilisers which I have set to 24 so they coincide with each other.

Well I have sat there for a few hours tonight measuring myself, rescaling, rechecking, more measuring, checking against robos files and I am confident I have the right scale. For those the are wondering, I'm 5'11.5" slim build.

I have gone with a scale of 25 all over except the chest back and flight stabilisers which I have set to 24 so they coincide with each other.

Oh really? You opted for 1 less value for the torso pieces? Hm. I may need to double check my measurements before I move on to those pieces.

I dont have a very large chest at all and I remember Robos parts swamping me when I built his model, so i had to rebuild those parts, I've tried to use my structure to build something as close to the sleek image of iron man as possible.
I do recall robo's abs and cod parts being extremely snug though so I might even scale those up to 25.5. If its to big i'll cut a few sections out while they're still foam.

The biseps were also to big for me so i cut a 1.5 inch strip out the back of each bisep and then glued it back together. Made the arms look more sleek and toned as opposed to muscly. The good thing about foam is there is room for improvement when each piece is complete. When you pep something out of cardstock, you cant start cutting it around if its to big or small as the entired shape collapses, and if were entirely honest, you dont wana spend 8-12 hours pepping a piece, to then find out its to big, as i have done in the past... ouch! Thank God for the invention of foam for pepping :)

Last edited:

Hey guys, super fantastic stuff here. Just joined to stay closer in touch with this project. Just was wondering, is there a foam pep file for the helmet? I have sharkmark's helmet file but didn't know if someone had already turned it into a foam pep.

Here again gif weapons armor MK7 found on the net, hoping that its going to help you Darkside501st's

scaled.php

I know he uses this laser in IM2 as well: he mentions to Rhodey it's a "one-off" during the battle with the bots before Whiplash shows up. You might be able to find better/Longer caps of it from IM2. After he fires it in Avengers, the laser ejects from his suit like it does in IM2.

Yeah, it's a little snug, but it's only being held onto me by tape. I can move the tape and give myself more room. I'm 5' 10", 160lbs. Hopefully, when i start with the Smooth-on, THAT should give me some room, mabey? or atleast let me Ditch the tape once and for all.

I'm making a Hybrid Suit. A Cross between SEVERAL of Tonys Suits.

028c.png

MK3 Shoulders, MK4 Arms, MK7 Chest and Back, MK2 Helmet?, War Machine Abs, etc...

Last edited:

Yeah, it's a little snug, but it's only being held onto me by tape. I can move the tape and give myself more room. I'm 5' 10", 160lbs. Hopefully, when i start with the Smooth-on, THAT should give me some room, mabey? or atleast let me Ditch the tape once and for all.

I'm making a Hybrid Suit. A Cross between SEVERAL of Tonys Suits.

028c.png

MK3 Shoulders, MK4 Arms, MK7 Chest and Back, MK2 Helmet?, War Machine Abs, etc...

These pics answer that Seinfeld debate whether or not Iron Man wore any underwear underneath his suit.

Cheers.

Hi guys, I've been following this forum thread for a while now but I only decided to join the RPF now. Well better late than never.

Anyhow, I'm kind of new to the pepakura way of building costumes but I do have experience with model planes, paper mache sculptures and the like. And I've got a few questions:

I REALLY want to build a fiberglass suit and not just a foam one, however as I said earlier I don't have experience yet with pepakura. Yet the foam pep files seem way less confusing than the regular pep files. I was wondering if I could use these files to build the mark vii the traditional way. Just a few modifications, and we would have ourselves a much simpler regular pep costume. Is it possible to do that? In the regular files, there seem to be several "unnecessary" parts that could be made without the pep designer (I'm talking about those edges that are really hard to pep,which Stealth mentioned in his video on modding regular pep files to foam). The foam files don't have these, and though they lack flaps to join the parts together, that could easily be fixed.

So there...could it be done?

Also...I see we have a problem with the scaling of the suit, so I thought of a way to standardize all our measurements so we all know we're on the same page. For example when we say the "forearm leangth", we would all know what that is, instead of wondering if that meant the length from the tip of the fingers to the elbow, or the length from the wrist to the elbow. Then by comparing the scale of one guy's build to another, we could come up with our own scale without having to go trial and error. It's just and idea..but if you guys like (or understand it :p) I'd be glad to help make standard measurments for all of us.

Syrus54, looks great. don't forget the collar piece should also give you a little extra room (between the back and chest) as it would slide under the chest piece.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back