Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files

This suit has a lot of detail and I'm working on the Mark VI helmet right now maybe if the version 2 is ready soon I will proceed with the Mark VII instead but if not I will keep on working on my Mark VI since it looks a bit easier to make and it's my first suit. Maybe the Mark VI would be my icebreaker to take on the Mark VII. :)

Syrus54, what helmet file did you use?

It says "CASCO" on the file. I dont remember where I downloaded it though....

Darkside, can we get an update? Mabey a screenshot of your PC of the part your working on/part(s) you've finished?

Thanks

The biggest difference is on the chin... I will modify it... just check the pictures of the Mark VII vs the Mark VI... look at the chin. The difference is not much and could be fixed/modified in the finishing stages if you didn't want to wait for the version 2 file.

Thanks for the appreciation. ;)

Also, take a look at how the sides of the "bottom lip" meet the rest of the helmet on the sides. On the cheek areas, there is a small curve upwards that rises to meet the back edge of the "bottom lip."

Can't wait to see progress.

...I also can't wait to see you stat to put one of these suits together yourself.

-Nick

Hi guys, I've been following this forum thread for a while now but I only decided to join the RPF now. Well better late than never.

Anyhow, I'm kind of new to the pepakura way of building costumes but I do have experience with model planes, paper mache sculptures and the like. And I've got a few questions:

I REALLY want to build a fiberglass suit and not just a foam one, however as I said earlier I don't have experience yet with pepakura. Yet the foam pep files seem way less confusing than the regular pep files. I was wondering if I could use these files to build the mark vii the traditional way. Just a few modifications, and we would have ourselves a much simpler regular pep costume. Is it possible to do that? In the regular files, there seem to be several "unnecessary" parts that could be made without the pep designer (I'm talking about those edges that are really hard to pep,which Stealth mentioned in his video on modding regular pep files to foam). The foam files don't have these, and though they lack flaps to join the parts together, that could easily be fixed.

So there...could it be done?

Also...I see we have a problem with the scaling of the suit, so I thought of a way to standardize all our measurements so we all know we're on the same page. For example when we say the "forearm leangth", we would all know what that is, instead of wondering if that meant the length from the tip of the fingers to the elbow, or the length from the wrist to the elbow. Then by comparing the scale of one guy's build to another, we could come up with our own scale without having to go trial and error. It's just and idea..but if you guys like (or understand it :p) I'd be glad to help make standard measurments for all of us.

I'm sure it could be done. but for those tricky edges and crevices, i would add crafting foam along those edges for depth.

I'm doing that right now for my suit, but i'm still using regular files, not foam templates. Im just using the "foam on edge" thing for the tiny crevices and indents that the suit has... but i need to make sure that the resin doesn't eat away at the foam before i go any further :facepalm . before i resin any piece with foam on it i should give the foam parts a few coats of mod podge, that should prevent the resin from doing any damage

hope i was of help :)

These files ROCK!!! I'm thinking of using some these files to build some parts for my Dream suit. Back looks really nice. Any info about the progress of the ver.2 files ??

Guys.

I've been working on the minor mods the helmet has. I only need to add a small change which goes in the blue circled area of the new helmet, I'll do it sometime soon. Oh, and this is Sharkmark's helmet, only with the minor changes.

Check it out.

251944_3859497601261_118417557_n.jpg

BTW, I'll be needing for someone to unfold the helmet, since I can't handle Pepakura Designer very well as of yet.

Last edited:

It says "CASCO" on the file. I dont remember where I downloaded it though....

Darkside, can we get an update? Mabey a screenshot of your PC of the part your working on/part(s) you've finished?

Thanks

That's Shark's helmet by a long shot. Good work there, matey.

I'm sure it could be done. but for those tricky edges and crevices, i would add crafting foam along those edges for depth.

I'm doing that right now for my suit, but i'm still using regular files, not foam templates. Im just using the "foam on edge" thing for the tiny crevices and indents that the suit has... but i need to make sure that the resin doesn't eat away at the foam before i go any further :facepalm . before i resin any piece with foam on it i should give the foam parts a few coats of mod podge, that should prevent the resin from doing any damage

hope i was of help :)
Thanks bro, that was helpful indeed. In fact I may just do that :) And in case the resin does eat away at the foam when you test it, instead of removing all that foam and wasting all your hard work, I suggest putting a layer of paper mache on it. That should be enough to protect it :p

Darkside...your work on this project is amazing. I am very new to the world of pepakura, but have wanted to do something like this for a long time. Seeing your work has inspired me to get off my ass and do it.

As a first timer, what do you think would be the best way for me to start: using cardstock or foam? I have zero experience in working with either medium, but have done some leather and metal working.

Thanks for any answers, and keep up the good work!

i started rebuilding my mark 7 suit using darkside's mark 7 chest (i'd been tweaking the chest and here it goes, removable rib panels) and here's some updates. . .

270905_329584420457357_187365745_n.jpg

533338_329585190457280_1067249175_n.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER

168548_329583033790829_400280883_n.jpg

Thanks bro, that was helpful indeed. In fact I may just do that :) And in case the resin does eat away at the foam when you test it, instead of removing all that foam and wasting all your hard work, I suggest putting a layer of paper mache on it. That should be enough to protect it :p

Good idea, thanx bro :p , i haven't tested it on foam yet, but i have put resin over mod podge before for a captain america helmet (helmet itself was a failed attempt), but it doesn't eat at that, though it seems to take a little longer to set

p.s. mod podge is what i use for paper mache

I was thinking along the same lines, maybe test some PVA glue on some foam then resin over it and see if that is sufficient to protect the foam while it finished its reaction and hardens.. Think Mod podge is basically thinned PVA?

Hello forum-dwellers! A few people were discussing a while back about the odd scale differences in some of the pieces. Most stuff being at 23, whilst others being 21.
I'm skinny and 5"10, so I thought I'd keep the 23 scale and it's been going well so far (all torso done and fitting well)
But the bicep was stock scaled at 21, so I thought, being as I have long arms, I'll scale it up to 23 anyway to hedge my bets. But it after 5 hours of work it turns out it's way too large, its length is enough that when bending the arm it pushes into the arm pit and bends the bottom into the elbow.
So it would seem that 21 in this case is equivalent to 23 in the others, so scaling it to 23 made it about a 26 which explains its largeness. Hope this helped!
Happy pepping!

I just got these files. Just wanted to thank thanks man. There awesome. Can't wait to get a start on them :)

i started rebuilding my mark 7 suit using darkside's mark 7 chest (i'd been tweaking the chest and here it goes, removable rib panels) and here's some updates. . .

270905_329584420457357_187365745_n.jpg

533338_329585190457280_1067249175_n.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER

168548_329583033790829_400280883_n.jpg

ang linis tol! :D ilang mm yan?

Hello forum-dwellers! A few people were discussing a while back about the odd scale differences in some of the pieces. Most stuff being at 23, whilst others being 21.
I'm skinny and 5"10, so I thought I'd keep the 23 scale and it's been going well so far (all torso done and fitting well)
But the bicep was stock scaled at 21, so I thought, being as I have long arms, I'll scale it up to 23 anyway to hedge my bets. But it after 5 hours of work it turns out it's way too large, its length is enough that when bending the arm it pushes into the arm pit and bends the bottom into the elbow.
So it would seem that 21 in this case is equivalent to 23 in the others, so scaling it to 23 made it about a 26 which explains its largeness. Hope this helped!
Happy pepping!

Sh*te!!! Now I'm freakin out! Foam should only take me two hours so it's not as bad as your 5 hour loss. I shall report back when I've tried this piece. Thanks for the warning though.

Hey guys Im attempting my first iron man pep build and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with something. I finished one palm and Im ready to start fiberglassing, now I know how to apply it but I'm not quite sure how to fiberglass pieces that have removable parts (i.e. faceplate, palms, etc). Any tips on how to fiberglass these pieces and ensure the removable parts remain removable and still hold their shape to be symmetrical to their main piece? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sh*te!!! Now I'm freakin out! Foam should only take me two hours so it's not as bad as your 5 hour loss. I shall report back when I've tried this piece. Thanks for the warning though.

You might be OK actually, after spending another 8 hours completely pepping the smaller 21 scale bicep, I have no idea if it is too small ><
I've measured the scale needed for the lower forearm and I'm going to need it to be 25 (up from 21) to make it extend past the elbow like it does in the movie.
I'm getting quite frustrated at the amount of guesswork and wasted time that keeps occuring.
Sharkmarks helmet was set to a scale of 1.13 by default and it was just massive, the learning curve for this is incredibly steep

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back