Darkside501st's Fallout NCR Veteran Ranger and Pip-Boy 3000 Build

Re: Darkside501st's Fallout NCR Ranger and Pip-Boy 3000 Build

I was working over this past weekend on finishing up the mask. I have a few WIP pics to show. I have already put a couple coats of filler and primer on these parts and this is pretty much the last coat of filler that they are going to need. The light, battery, and ear pods are done... kind of. I still need to attach them to the helmet and then paint. I also just cut the front breather off the mask this way I can drink or eat something without having to take off the whole helmet... very important during those after Con parties!

Perhaps I am trying to make these parts too perfect... but that is just my OCD taking over... I have to make them perfect and then beat them up for the sake of weathering. It would probably save a little time to just not give them such a smooth surface but I have a hard time with that. Anyways, take a look:

great work as pre the norm :thumbsup

So what's this, huh!?! You expect me to do a good job so now you are not impressed by it anymore, lol. :behave :love

Thanks bro. I saw that you are interested in my Iron Man electronics. :thumbsup

So what's this, huh!?! You expect me to do a good job so now you are not impressed by it anymore, lol. :behave :love

Thanks bro. I saw that you are interested in my Iron Man electronics. :thumbsup

i always except you to do great work, now get back to it :lol

yes some day i will make a iron Man suit and it will have your electronics in it (now get back to finishing that as well :darnkids)

Super clean, crisp details as always! I continue to be impressed by everything I see you make, my friend!

Super clean, crisp details as always! I continue to be impressed by everything I see you make, my friend!

Thanks buddy. So you ready to mold and cast that bad boy (Pip Boy handplate) after AllCon? Or maybe if you have time before the con... it might be better to cast it before the rivets and screws get put on... I know you like using real hardware.

If it's done by the con, I can get it from you then and mold it shortly thereafter :). I do prefer real hardware to resin detailing whenever possible, but having the holes marked for ease of positioning is best.

I agree with Skruffy! Looking super clean and full of awesome Fallout goodness!!! I am looking forward to the handpiece going into production so I can try and keep up.

If it's done by the con, I can get it from you then and mold it shortly thereafter :). I do prefer real hardware to resin detailing whenever possible, but having the holes marked for ease of positioning is best.

I agree with Skruffy! Looking super clean and full of awesome Fallout goodness!!! I am looking forward to the handpiece going into production so I can try and keep up.

Thanks. It shouldn't be long before the handpiece is available to everyone. ;)

Now feast your eyes on the finished handpiece (before the additional hardware... and well I am going to add one more little detail):

I also cut out the eyes and attached the eye bezels... now I have to go back and repair the damage... I probably should have done this at the beginning before using filler but I had planned on doing it a little differently and changed my mind. Anyways, I still have to finish the snout.

You guys will hopefully start to see quite a few updates this week since I have to be done by Wednesday night. I am gonna have to put off the PipBoy for now... not a big deal since this character isn't supposed to have one anyways.

I made a little progress this weekend but my sons birthday party was Saturday and I had to help my wife get things ready for the party and unfortunately for my schedule it wasn't just a 2-3 hour party... we had a sleepover. So most of the work I got done was from Sunday after lunch.

I will be pulling some late nights to get everything else done in time. I have three nights left. I am considering taking a day off work to help things along.

So, I mainly took these for my own reference but here is the back of the helmet and mask... I decided I was gonna patch in the back part with some elastic and magnets. That part is missing in the pics.

Next, I also decided that the helmet looks too thin... it is just a toy helmet after all. So I cut out some sintra and glued it in on the inside border of the helmet. This also allowed me to fix something that was gonna bother me... apparently they put the head band in slightly crooked... either that or the helmet was just warped out of the mold. The left side of the helmet did not have the same shape as the right side. It didn't come down as far on the little swoop down part. ;) You can see in the pic of the left side... the white and grey parts are the sintra and resin I added to 'fill in the blanks'. Now the left matches the right and the helmet appears to be thicker.

Here are a few pics of the snout. It isn't quite finished yet but it is close. I decided to pep it after all. Also in the first pic below you can see that I added some magnets to the side of the helmet and covered them with resin. They are recessed into the sintra. They are there to hold the mask in place. The mask will move with the helmet as if they are one piece.

And here is a pic of the helmet and mask all put together, sort of... I am holding the mouthpiece on there cause I have not yet put in the magnets. I think it looks a lot better with the extra thickness on the rim of the helmet.

I also cast 12 Wolverine claws, got part of the coat cut out and pinned, and I cut out the foam parts for the vest. I should be posting some more updates tomorrow. Feedback is appreciated. If you guys have any constructive criticism or if you think it is looking great then feel free to leave a response. Thanks.

Looking good! Are you going to do the red night vision effect on the eyes?

Looking good! Are you going to do the red night vision effect on the eyes?

At this point I will be lucky to get it in a presentable state for the convention this weekend... I think I will be able too have it ready in time but any little extras like LED eyes are gonna have to wait till the next con. It isn't very practical though... it might look good in some pics but it would reduce visibility so I wouldn't walk around like that anyways.

I am using a red reflective film on the lenses just like Kommissar did on his helmet. This gives a very good impression of the night vision effect and visibility is great. http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-n...nger-finished-101257/index18.html#post2560688

His build has been a pretty big inspiration for my own. There are a lot of things he did that I like.

----------------------------------------

I got a little more work done last night but I spent most of the night converting a couple Iron Man repulsor circuits that I promised a friend I would have done for the convention. So much to do and so little time.

I just wanted to quickly share the paint masks and decals that I made for the NCR Veteran Ranger helmet and armor. Here you go:

So at this point I was just guessing at the scale on the different decals and paint masks. Actually, they are not scaled at all... I made the file BIG so that I wouldn't have an issue with the resolution. But what I meant was I was guessing and the ratio of one decal compared to the others. I tried to get that as close as possible. You will have to use a image editing program to take these graphics and either make decals or paint masks. I ONLY spent a few HOURS getting all these just right and as accurate as I could. So, I hope you guys appreciate them. ;) Enjoy.

those are some sick decals!

Thanks man... some of them were loosely based on stuff that you and other members did here on other Vet Ranger builds. I am trying to figure out how to do the white decals now. I do need to take a closer look at the helmet and redo the decals.

Well I didn't get this done in time for the convention... too much other stuff came up and got in the way and I didn't have enough time to get the rest done.

The next convention is in May so that is my new goal. But maybe I should shoot for April, lol

Wanted to join the thread in congratulating you on an awesome undertaking. Can't wait to see this come. Eagerly anticipating the hand plate thread in the Junkyard!

Thanks for sharing!

Wanted to join the thread in congratulating you on an awesome undertaking. Can't wait to see this come. Eagerly anticipating the hand plate thread in the Junkyard!

Thanks for sharing!

Cool, thanks for joining. ;) I have to get back on this... I was taking a little break since I spent so much time on it before the last convention. Skruffy has the handplate but I haven't heard of him making molds yet.

I did do some more work on the mask so I need to take some pics of that and get them posted.

Ok, so I have a little more work to show you. I added some weathering... scrapes, scratches, cuts, gouges, etc. Also added the kill marks on the helmet. Wired up the lights on the side of the helmet too. The hose is only temporarily inserted into the hole... I have adapters and clamps to go there too. Take a look:

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back