Dark Shadows trailer out...

OK, I was a fan of the original. The original was a soap opera, complete with convoluted sub-plots of sub-plots; it took itself seriously, and for the time was pretty entertaining.

This re-boot appears to be a comedy - which might be interesting. Those old episodes may well appear to be comedic in today's context (I haven't watched one of the old episodes to see if it holds up, as I fear I may be disappointed with it now).

Remember people's reaction to The Wild, Wild West? A somewhat comedic re-boot of a venerated classic - and everyone hated it (although I still like it!). Any time there's a re-boot, there will be polarized views. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen it. :)

I watched the trailer; it looks like Dark Shadows in a funhouse mirror - but it *does* look interesting!

I like Depp & Burton but will pass on this one, doesn't look good. :thumbsdown

Never liked the originals much, nor the remake in 91 (didn't see the remake in 03 or 04)

I had no idea they were going with the comedic route. So it's kind of like The Brady Bunch Movie. Hmmmm... interesting.

Actually, there was already a reboot of this done in the '90s. I think it lasted a season. I actually enjoyed it. It definitely wasn't a comedy though. I also remember watching some of the originals as a kid in re-runs (my mother was a fan). Once again... not a comedy.

I'm kind of interested though.

I don't think it looks terrible, but it's definitely not Dark Shadows. The original was not a comedy. It just makes me wonder why they even used the same title. It seems like it would stand on it's own as a completely separate movie. Just like 21 Jump Street. The new movie coming out with Jonah Hill is a comedy, unlike the original tv show, and has nothing to do with the original series. In both cases these films might be good, but have big enough stars in them to not have to rely on the name recognition of older franchises.

But the plot appears essentially the same... except comedic... and set a year after the original series ended... Okay, so it's not exactly the same.

It just makes me wonder why they even used the same title. It seems like it would stand on it's own as a completely separate movie. Just like 21 Jump Street. The new movie coming out with Jonah Hill is a comedy, unlike the original tv show, and has nothing to do with the original series.

Probably for the same reason they are using "21 Jump Street" as a name :lol

I figure there is name recognition in the title, but I would think that star names like Johnny Depp or Jonah Hill would have the same effect.

Hollywood can't help but ruin everything.... they can't come up with an original idea. Thus all the remakes, reboots and sequels.

I figure there is name recognition in the title, but I would think that star names like Johnny Depp or Jonah Hill would have the same effect.

Hollywood can't help but ruin everything.... they can't come up with an original idea. Thus all the remakes, reboots and sequels.

QFT!! :)

Didn't know it was going to take a comedic turn.....
And always the highly creative--NOT, cheap sex jokes!?!?

Depp in indelibly Jack in my mind....can't shake 'im!!!
My brain defies what my eyes see!!
All I hear is Jack-- and all I see is a more modern nearly zombie looking Jack Sparrow with a hair cut. :lol

Shylaah

WOW, that looks absolutely terrible. I was also not expecting a full on wink/nudge comedy. I figured there might be some humor, a little camp, but not boob jokes. This is a pass for me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back