Dark Rey Lightsaber - Aluminium [Many Photos]

Red parts back from anodising. The little pieces are a little patchy, I should drilled a hole down the centre to allow the anodiser to hold them better. However I can manage as most the part isn't visible and cover the rest up with weathering. Also the the colour is somewhat different with part in the 2nd and 3rd image, hoping to be able to making it look coherent with weathering.

IMG_0677.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg

Last edited:
I have glued the 12 small parts round the central holder. I used some CA glue, probably should have used something less brittle. When I assembled the lightsaber for the first time it one popped out, sanding the high points off on a surface table, seemed to resolved this problem.

IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0732.jpeg

Next I have turned down the narrow handle pieces to leave the red anodising only in the grooves. Not much room for error, I was careful to ensure I didn't damage the anodising in the grooves.

IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg

Here is every I have completed so far assembled. It's coming along well, many things still to finish.

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg

Completed the radial features on this piece, 8 - 1.6mm holes for M2 thread. Only did the drilling on the CNC. Decided to hand tap, slower but much safer. Machined the flat to receive a panel with button of some kind, drilled a 1.6mm hole, this is mostly a placeholder I haven't completely designed all the details on the button sections. The broad outline is finished so I feel confident machining features such as the flat and profile. At some point you have to start making parts, even if the whole design isn't totally finished. I feel it's useful to just start making some decisions even though they may not be the most perfect design solution.

IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg

An in process photo, probing the fixture before machining. Drilling the holes 8 of them, really 4 pairs of 2 holes.

IMG_0740.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting down to the fiddle little bits now, just some little modification to existing parts that had not yet been completed.

I have been working on parts circled in red below, where there is still the most to finish.

1.jpg

Put the cut out in this part the block with the buttons fit in the cut out. The tool on the right was used for this operation. 6mm with a 1.5mm radius. These components are now complete and have to be anodised black.

IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0893.jpeg

Cut a profile and drilled a hole in these parts. the profile is to receive the button panel

IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg

Last edited:
Cut groove in the end tube sections, had a little trouble get everything lined up and spinning correctly on the lathe, the tube a move and warped after cutting the slots and angle on the end.

IMG_1052.jpeg

Then I got the blow touch on these to get the heating effect, which I believe is painted on the originals. Likely because the real effect is subtle and many not show up well on camera.

IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg

Started making the the small blocks that hold the buttons.

M3 cap heads in both ends. Also tapped M3 to hold the buttons on.

IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1286.jpeg
IMG_1288.jpeg

These end up black, I'm saving all the black anodising for when I made all bits can go to anodising together.
Also had to put the slot into the piece this mount too. Required an interesting setup to get it at 90deg to the cross hole already drilled.

IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I have finished the turning work. on this collar piece. Next I will put the holes in and spilt it carefully in 4 pieces.
Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 09.12.02.png
IMG_1510.jpeg

First I turned a ring piece with parted it off. Then turned the profile with it on the little fixture I made, which also be used the the mill for the holes and spitting.

IMG_1505.jpeg
IMG_1504.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back