dark knight costume for halloween

ashholroyd

Have started making a dark knight costume for halloween 2012. Used an Instructable for a rough and ready (authors words) cowl I found online. Added to it and am now paper mache-ing for strength with an eye to fibreglassing later. Any other tips on how to go about the rest of the suit, templates for armour etc. Not fussed if its not 100%. But really like the style of it. Think I'm in the minority there! Lol. Thanks in advance guys.

that actually looks pretty good. the ears are a little wide maybe :)
im not sure how well papermache will hold on this. you might want to go with resin/bondo, that should hold a little better

Cheers. Appreciate that. Did the first coat of mache last night. Adhered pretty well (thank god!). I had read that duct tape wasn't the best base for mache but had no alternative. That's what happens with 2 kids and 2 on the way-no bloody money for costuming!!! Lol. 2nd coat tonight after kids in bed. As long as it holds long enough for me to fibreglass afterwards then it should be fine.

I really like your pep Arkham Asylum batman bust. When I have a computer up and running (currently only online on my mobile phone) have been contemplating gettin a pep program for it, would you recommend?

And regarding the ears I've been looking at it for a week thinking 'somethings wrong. What's wrong with it?' And you hit the nail on the head.

pep is an awesome tool

some things need to be scratchbuilt, but some are just better off pepped. it wont decrease your work time, but you usually have a more detailed base, and its easy for beginners

Did the second coat of mache last night and so far it seems to be working. Tried it on this morning to see if it still fits (read that mache shrinks when it dries.) It went on no problem. Gonna sand it down after 6 layers or so before sealing it.

Does resin shrink after its dried and how do I go about the resin process???

Just a quick update. Here is the cowl first papermached and then plastered. Hopefully it will keeep its shape and strength. Then it needs sanding and painting!!!

So this is the finished first attempt. Will try another when I have time. All painted up andi think it looks okay. Especially considering it cost exactly £6 stary to finish!!!!

you did a great job, considering replica cowls are somewhere around 300+ bucks :) its a little off in the eye part,but a very smooth finish overall, for the money nontheless. this needs more views. what did you use for filling, is it bondo, or something else?

I ended up using ordinary flexible wall filler. The kind you use for repairing cracks in plasterboard. Lol. Just used it more like a clay for the ridges and stuff and then sanded the whole thing down. Should have taken more time on the sanding as there are still visable pits and striations that the painting brought out. :-( I agree with you about the eyes, they definately needed more work.
All in all though not bad if I do say so myelf. Won't win me any awards at a cosplay event (apart from maybe the cost of it!) But for a night on the tiles in the local clubs on halloween? I reckon I'd get some amazed faces!!! Lol
Definately gonna try bondo (resin?) On the next one though as the 'flexible' wall filler has started cracking around the top of the nose. Luckily I sealed it with pva before painting so its not going anywhere, looks a bit unsightly though. Live and learn! Lol.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. And when my next one is started I'll post the full evolution of the process for everyone.

When using Foamies for the armour pieces should I resin them prior to painting or just use an acrylic based paint? Don't want to waste resin if not needed. Thanks in advance for the answers.
Ash

Hi guys. Sorry its been a while between updates. Been busy with the family and work. Just a couple of things. Have decided to make all the armour out of neoprene craft foam, that will be plasti dipped. Will also be plasti dipping the cowl for uniformity of the costume. Have made gauntlets from card board which will also be plasti dipped and have made the belt out of nylon webbing and cardboard which I intend to resin prior to painting.
Please see pics and post opinions. Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy the pics.

do you have patterns for this? or is it all by hand?
btw try a test piece and seal with water mixed with glue (flexbond if you have it) it will seal your foam and you wont need as much plasti dip. infact if you use black foamies as a base it will cost even less.

I've seen some use elmers glue. I've been using flexbond and its lasted me almost 3 years. its not to expensive and itll go a long way.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back