Daredevil Red Suit Build (Netflix)

Scouser

Hi everybody. This build diary is going to serve two purposes.... 1) Keep me going no matter how discouraged I get because if I have this thread I feel accountable even though 99.9% of you don't know me. 2) Show my progress which I pray will be steady even though I have other projects I need to finish (plus work FT and college 3/4 time UGH).
I normally do not work on what I consider soft costumes, those made of fabrics and such, so this will be kinda new for me. The only saving grace I have is I do know how to operate a sewing machine since I worked in a paraloft in the military for about 8 years and helped with a few costumes through the years. So please remember I am not a pro and do not claim to be! I will however do the best I can.

With that being said... here is the foundation of my build diary.

• There are many threads with images from the show. Unless it pertains to my build, I will not be posting any.
  • A huge majority of the Netflix DD builds are the black suit right now, so I am kinda flying solo on this one at the moment. Doing countless hours of internet research to try and back up any move I make on the build.
  • It has been stated publicly that the show suit was made by the props dept. and the material was custom 3D printed. I don't have that luxury or money. I work with the common person's budget. So I am making an executive decision on my suit based on feedback from people locally. If you plan to make your own suit, feel free to use whatever material you want. A Kevlar material has been suggested in one thread. I personally don't like the way it looks up close and from a distance it looks the same as my material. Figure for the price, I have a much better deal that is locally available.
  • I will try to provide educated reasoning behind any purchased part I use in my build. I don't want to waste too much more time doing internet research when I can be building what will already take plenty of time.
  • Some crafted parts of this build I will purchase. At this time, I plan to purchase the helmet and weapon.
  • Goal finish date is July 15th (sounds like a good date and no finals due. Would love to finish well before this though!!)

With all that being said, I welcome advice and feedback. Hopefully I can do DD justice since I have been collecting the comic for about 40 years and he has been my fave, hands down since I knew what a comic was. Netflix & Marvel really inspired me to leave my comfort zone with this.

The Beginning....
P4160115.JPG

I plan to start this project Saturday since my wife is having surgery tomorrow.

The cloth/fabric I will be using is Duck Cloth (Canvas). It is heavy duty, but softens with time. The colors are black and classic burgundy. I have to make sure I state classic, because the regular is too dark red/purplish. The thread is heavy duty and generic zippers for upper body (got extra) and pants zipper for pants. There has been questions about the suit being 2 or 3 pieces. It is pretty much impossible to tell from on screen shots and I personally am again going to make a personal executive call and make it 3. My plan is for pants, shirt and vest. My personal reason for not thinking it is a one piece suit with a vest is that the suit fit very well when fighting and when just standing around, like a custom fit. I don't know about anybody else, but I have never had a coverall or any other 1 piece suit fit that well after moving all around unless it had a bit of give (a little baggy or at least a comfort fit). After doing all that fighting, his suit to me fit more like a 2 piece (shirt and pants) because the vest will hide that shirt starting some come up out of the pants some after flipping around. Again, my personally opinion and for my own comfort.

Boots- Nike SFB. I am 99% sure that is the boot in the red suit based on a few images, but this one really sealed it for me. In the red suit fight scenes you can see he is still wearing boots if you look at enough images, but when you see this one and the sole of the boot. That did it for me. Especially since in the black suit you see a different sole on the Bates boot in images. You can see the bottom of my SFB's in the image above. Added them just for that purpose.
DD22.jpg

Gloves- Pretty sure I may be alone on my thinking here, or not many have thought this far ahead. But if it is a fact that a props company made your red suit, why would they not maybe just add to the gloves you already have? After all the Ringers gloves are pretty cool as they are. Additionally, I don't see any other company making a glove with the same finger guards and tips unless they want a law suit. Take the glove add a nipple/spike to the knuckle and you have the red suit glove.
DD21.jpg Carbon Tactical top.jpg

Alrighty, there is the foundation of my build. Will start working on the pants Saturday and hope to have a good status or completion of them by Sunday night. My apologies if my build goes slower than some, like I said in the beginning. I work full-time and working on my MBA which leaves little time for any crafting and family time. So I will do the best I can during the week, but the weekends may be where I have to wait to add content.

I've been away from the RPF for YEARS. This is the show that has brought me back. I, too, am working on a Daredevil suit, and will be closely following your thread for assistance.

In the mean time, I took a TON of reference shots, so if you feel like you need more, ask and I shall upload.

I've been away from the RPF for YEARS. This is the show that has brought me back. I, too, am working on a Daredevil suit, and will be closely following your thread for assistance.

In the mean time, I took a TON of reference shots, so if you feel like you need more, ask and I shall upload.

Do you have any good side shots of the helmet?

IMPORTANT DISCOVERY! I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but his suit is actually a single-piece bodysuit underneath, with a vest on the torso. This is the only explanation for the seams I'm looking at in my screen grabs.

IMPORTANT DISCOVERY! I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but his suit is actually a single-piece bodysuit underneath, with a vest on the torso. This is the only explanation for the seams I'm looking at in my screen grabs.

Yep, it is a body suit. I was told this over the weekend and I wanted nothing more than to show some progress on my build for the weekend. I discovered that making a body suit, coverall, or anything 1 piece is going to be the death of me.

I spent Saturday afternoon cutting patterns and some material. I am having a very hard time with the shoulder areas. I think I have most of the measurements for the red/black of the shoulders that is seen under the vest, but I messed up in the areas against the sleeve.

As much as I want to make it a body suit, I am thinking I may make it 2 pieces still like my original idea. The vest covers the waist area, so nobody would really see it. I have a 3-day weekend coming up. If I don't have at least half the undersuit (top or bottom) done by that time I am going to crawl in a corner and cry..... Well, maybe not, but I will then resort to something I know how to work with.

On another note... here are a few ear images to add. Lighten the dark one up and you should get some pretty good details.
DD12.jpgDD16.jpg

Thanks for the side shots! Also, out of curiosity, how do you plan on doing the mask? I've never done anything like that, so I'm looking at my options.

I think I may have come up with an idea for how to do the mask. This is either going to go very well, or hilariously terribly. I'm going to test my idea first, then if/when it pans out, I'll upload pictures and detail my method. If it flops, well... thankfully the experiment won't be too costly, lol.

As I stated in my initial post, I plan to buy the helmet unless something changes between now and than. Way my finances have gone the last month, that could play a role in that choice. If I do make my own mask/helmet I have a head cast of myself thankfully. Honestly, I am less worried about the mask than I am the suit if I have to make it. Each of the black lines through the mask appears to be the same material as in the suit. If that is the case and based off some theories I have I think I can produce that pretty close to show model. Done enough mask and armors to feel confident in that part. Just figure timing may be an issue. The red panels can be done several ways, especially with all the different build methods out there now. The mask part over the eyes has options too. Could even be the same method as the red panels. If you look at the helmet, because that is what I think it is... you can see that the jaw area looks like it has for lack of better words a jaw cover/protector. I think that the body suit or maybe even a hood even is worn under the mask to give the full effect, but that the helmet is just that, a slip on helmet. Sorry if that did not make a ton of sense. I hate trying to type what is in my head. Hard enough to say it, but typing it requires more skill lol.

On a different yet related note.... if the pattern actually shows up on my doorstep this week. Anybody looking to make a body suit may want to check out Kwik Sew Pattern 2335. I found 1 site that claims to still have a pattern they can send me but there was I think 1 other one with a digital download. Not sure how that works with a pattern....but they advertise it. It is an out of print pattern, but if I can get it in than this suit build has really taken a turn for the better.
Now that I want to wait for the body suit I may move to another part I have to fabricate to see if I can get that out of the way before I start on the cloth parts again.

UPDATE: Just got a call back from Seattle Fabrics. They do not have the pattern. So that leaves the download pattern if I want to try it....or a costume pattern. Will figure it out Thursday I guess since that is my shopping day.

Last edited:
I think you're right about the hood under the helmet. There's definitely a balaclava covering the neck, and there seem to be two separate pieces of fabric covering the jaw area (I think they are actually attached to the helmet itself, but I could be wrong). For me, the trickiest part about doing the helmet will probably be getting the lenses into the eyes. With the way the fabric looks under the helmet pieces, I may have an idea for that, as well, if my fabrication method works.

Eh. I've done Star Wars armor, after the hassle of putting on and maintaining that, I think I'll be fine with a body suit. However, I'm really interested to see the direction you take with yours. Good luck! :)

Well, just found out something new to help me decide against a body suit. Charlie Cox said his suit had 3 zippers, was tight fitting and took 4 people 45 minutes to put on. Not my kinda suit lol. So guess I am still against the body suit idea.
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/You-Can-t-Imagine-How-Tight-Daredevil-Costume-69703.html
Ha ha! Nope! One zipper down the front. One zipper on each side of the armor vest.
If I can't get into it in under 7 minutes I don't want it. :)

Well I'm sure we can figure out an easier way to pull off the suit without needing 5 people to help get in and out of it, that's part of the fun with these boards :) Although I did need 2 people to help me get in and out of my last batsuit. But it only took 5-6 minutes.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back