Daredevil (Netflix Series)

While I love how Netflix dumps the whole season at one time... I'm kind of bummed that I'm going to have to wait so long for S3.

I don't mind so much because I sorta treat the NF shows as seasons of the same series. They're starting to tap into the interconnectivity with the various easter eggs in DD S2. So we get Luke Cage in September and Iron Fist probably spring next year, unless JJ S2 bumps it back. And these help me with the wait in between the MCU films, which will go up to 3x a year beginning 2017. Starting next year, we'll have 5 legit content releases for the MCU a year; I don't count the ABC network efforts :lol Incredible time to be a comic book fan.

Who knows, NF may even get greedy and try to push for 3 releases a year, though not sure Marvel TV and ABC Studios are ready for that pace.

Last edited:
I forgot what it felt like to ENJOY something live action that the Punisher is in!

Bernthal killed it man.. Figuratively and very literally. Mitchell Ellison, played by Geoffrey Cantor, caught my eye as well. Ended up being a surprisingly enjoyable character! Look forward to seeing more of both of them.

Spoilers from this point.

The only thing that left me slightly disappointed was the swift death of the Colonol, who was implied to as being the Blacksmith, correct? I really hope we've not heard the last of him and his organization.. I'd love to see that thread fleshed out just a bit more..

Over all.. Season two? Absolutely loved it.. I may actually watch Jessica Jones just to fill the void until Season 3!

Last edited:
Done.
Damn hard to pace this out given the cliff hanger nature of most episodes but I guess I was helped by the new series of "Peaky Blinders". I do wish they would release this weekly next year , like "Better Call Saul".Its that good its hard to resist but even at just a couple of episodes a night I was starting to get excessive ninja fighting fatigue by the end of the series. Eventually even I sided with Franks philosophy of a beating, a headshot and move on to the next unlucky guy.
Talking of which he was arguably the best character and had alot of the best scenes this season ,even though a few acts of violence he and others were involved in was truely unbelievable for a TV show at times , even if it was spot on for his comic character. Some of it actually made "Deadpool" look tame. Anyway Jon B did an admirable job of portraying Frank,when he wore that customized body armour that matched his bruised and battered face for most of the series ,yep, I thought, you are definitely "The Punisher" .I was expecting more carnage on the roof from him, particularly when there was that lingering shot on the mini gun, but I guess four was enough to let Red and Elektra get on with the rest of it.
And despite the creeping hand ninjinitis which made the last few episodes weaker, I enjoyed this season more than the first. Some great writing and references in it to old favorites and some old movie actioners. Loved the Gibson/Russo Lethal Weapon piece with Matt and Elektra and the whole "Usual Suspects" episode at the docks amoungst others. And they integrated the character elements from the first into the second with real aplomb, making it really feel part of the whole, particularly with what happens with Fisk and Stick.
I also thought there was a really good balance of between storylines and characters, with most getting a pretty equal share of screen time. Kudos to everyone, the acting was first rate and I often needed the break from all the on screen killer action , even if it was brilliantly done most of the time.
I did like Elektra ,but as she was literally mostly the ex girlfriend from hell it was hard to warm to her. Karen Page matured rather strongly in this and watching brush her long blonde hair back from her cheek and those startlingly blue eyes often made my heart beat faster, and you didn't need to be DD to hear it and I kind of like the new career path. I'll also be curious to see what Foggy brings to this next season from his new position.
And it will be interesting to see where the storylines go from that ending. Great season, thoroughly enjoyed it ( and S2 of "Peaky Blinders" who true to their name with that ending!).

High points of season 2:

Jon Bernthal - the exchange in episode 3 is just beautiful writing and tremendous acting.
I love Frank's natural awareness of DD's probing and how DD isn't able to provoke him emotionally. The man is in complete control. He speaks when he has to and only what he wants say. Any other writer might have applied the basic "psychopath" trope - where he could be easily goaded into monologuing or provoked into rage with the mention of war or his personal tragedy. DD even tries deriding Frank's tragedy ("You lost somebody? Well, 'boo hoo.'") to no avail.

Frank also has a degree of respect for DD's motives but pities that he doesn't understand the futility of his methods.

And they didn't make Frank just a guy with bad PTSD who is mentally unhinged by the loss of his family. He's intelligent, self-aware and calculating in his personal ethic. Just brilliant.

The new mask looks so much better - fits better and looks far better.

Elektra - very solid chemistry in a complex relationship.
At the end when Matt commits to running away with her we know she's got to die, but that moment was done so well I wanted to believe they had a chance together. CC's acting was just heartbreaking.

Some criticisms:

The fighting was great but it was more of the polished, choreographed martial arts I've seen before. I miss the frantic brutality of the first season. Granted, there are times this season comes close and, in fairness, it's probably deliberate in that DD is becoming more skilled but I did enjoy season 1's action just a bit more.

The Punisher's story -
They really didn't need to nest his personal tragedy in a conspiracy involving a botched sting and his old CO as a drug mastermind. Just leave it as a personal tragedy.

Karen Page -
The season wasn't very kind to her, was it? Her sleuthing seemed the be just an excuse to keep her busy doing something compelling during the season. And I didn't like her "you are a hero" bit at the end. Kinda weak. She did have some good character moments with Matt, though. His revelation at the end really gets him off the hook for his treatment of her throughout the season.

Pacing was erratic at times, but not unlike most long comic runs. Not quite as polished as season 1 but it also covers a lot of ground.

Love it.

Last edited:
I had gotten behind on watching all my regular shows for the past two weeks, as I've spent every free moment watching season one. Last night I decided to catch back up on my Flash, Supergirl, SHIELD, and Legends of Tomorrow.

Wow, while I enjoy all those shows--going straight back to them after nothing but two weeks of Daredevil is like watching something like Platoon and then putting in a Teletubbies video.

I'm going full spoilers because the season has been released in it's entirety.

Finished it last night. Overall, it was better than the first season. Not as clear, but a more epic Rollercoaster.

The only thing that didn't work very well we're the plot payoffs. The black sun and the blacksmith ultimately left more questions than they answered.

But this season was smart in the way it used several overlapping arcs. Much like a comic book. We had four episodes about castle, then a few about electra, then the hand. But it never stopped being about frank castle.

It's amazing when you think back to beginning and realized how much actually happened in 13 episodes. And the way it tied to the first season in a very fluid nature. The kingpins cameo wasn't forced. It made sense. These aren't standalone stories. They are an ongoing tale.

If I had one criticism it's that of their lawyer business. I actually think that this show is at it's best when it balances the two sides of the show and when the three protagonists work together.

So to see that disolve right at the beginning of the season makes the show seem a bit hollow. I just want one season where we can get used to them working together to establish a status quo.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I had gotten behind on watching all my regular shows for the past two weeks, as I've spent every free moment watching season one. Last night I decided to catch back up on my Flash, Supergirl, SHIELD, and Legends of Tomorrow.

Wow, while I enjoy all those shows--going straight back to them after nothing but two weeks of Daredevil is like watching something like Platoon and then putting in a Teletubbies video.

Thats exactly how I feel,...you can get quality series like Breaking Bad, where they establish characters & flesh them out and you know their integrity,...at no point do they behave out of character,...you know how they tick.....much like the characters in Daredevil,....In series like Agents of Shield & the cheesy DC series,...bad guys can become good guys & vice versa in an episode,...you can tell that the actors approach this like a soap opera,...another series that I gave up on, that did this 'make it up as we go along' was Prison Break,....

Its all about vision.....Vince Gilligan knew the story that he was going to tell,....so he had a beginning & an end,.....WW's transformation was brilliant from a quiet man, to a killer,....but under that,...we could see his integrity......Other shows are based on pilots,.....on fulfilling the promise of that first episode,....then keeping viewing figures by doing whatever is needed at that time

The Netflix direction changes all that,.....House of Cards, Better Call Saul,.....Daredevil,....all play out like very clever movies,....extended movies,...with clear vision

J

I dont know how to use the spoiler tag so im goin school........

Spoilers below......

The Punisher. Just when he gets the tools he needs to do his craft, its the end. Oh how I wanted to see him make a masterpiece! And Yes I hope the ninjas bring back the Col to life.

I dont know how to use the spoiler tag so im goin school........

Spoilers below......

The Punisher. Just when he gets the tools he needs to do his craft, its the end. Oh how I wanted to see him make a masterpiece! And Yes I hope the ninjas bring back the Col to life.

I totally agree but I'm kind of relived they left us wanting more from Frank. Hopefully that means a 3rd season. Honestly I think this is Marvel's best work

We finished season 2 and generally loved it. Thought Daredevil’s fight with the Dogs of Hell was awesome! They took the season 1 hallway fight to another level. Nice use of the chain and Matt’s other restricted hand. The costume upgrades look great too.
Jon Bernthal brought great drama to the story. The guy is the perfect Punisher! You believe every line he speaks and empathizes with his feelings while knowing he is breaking a lot of laws with his behavior! We can imagine innocent people getting caught up in his one man war.
A minor issue with plot flow. I feel like the increasing tension dropped off after Castle is released from prison. I welcomed seeing Daredevil battle The Hand but this portion of the plot felt rushed. The Punisher’s final scenes were too short. We’ll thankfully see more of Castle in the future.
It was great seeing Fisk again. I did not expect that and enjoy watching him plan his growth into The Kingpin. Fantastic work by D’Onofrio.
Have to say I did not enjoy Electra at all. Yung looked the part but her acting is simply awful. Every line she spoke took me out of Netflix Daredevil and dragged me into the CW Arrow. That was very disappointing.

I don't know what the overall idea of where this showing is headed but the introduction of magic stuff kinda killed the mood that the first half of this season, and all the previous season, for me. I thought they were going for the Nolan-Batman atmosphere for this show, where they do comic-inspired things but in a "real-world" manner, omitting or changing things to keep to that atmosphere. The whole mysticism with the Hand and Elektra and how that tied in with Daredevil, or at least how it was handled, I don't think worked at all and really spoiled what had been established.

I didn't think it was an issue.... don't forget that mysticism is a huge part of the MCU and this will tie in with the new Iron Fist show... and this one:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=174722

Magic is a huge part of the Marvel comics, I know that, but translating it to live-action drama is a different beast all together; a beast I feel the show just couldn't tame and make work within the rules they set up early on in the show. If they couldn't sell me the idea in the first place, simply referencing it in another show certainly won't make it any better for me.

I don't understand why they are doing the ol' mask-bait-and-switch. Whenever he takes off the mask/helmet, every piece of cloth that covers up his ears and neck just magically disappears. Why do they have to do that? It bugs the crap out of me. Obviously, he has on a hood that the helmet goes over. What's the big deal with just having him remove the helmet and then pull the hood back?

But no, this maskie only covers half of his head, yet when he puts it on--boom--the whole rest of his head and neck is now covered.

Anyway, that's my only problem with it. LOVE THE SHOW!!! Just finished season 2. When's the next one start?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back