Damage and denting effects in Plastics?

Kojack

Hey there everyone! I was trying to search to see if there was a thread on this already, but I couldn't seem to come across one!

I just made a new mold of a rockteer helmet I've come across and I've got a few ideas for a few fun versions of this popular prop. My idea is to do a "barn find" style Rocketeer helmet... What if we found his helmet almost 75 years later in an old attic or something? That's kind of the look I'm going for, adding in the bullet graze for accuracy but then general damage from years of perhaps being kicked around?

My helmets are slush casted urethane, and I was wondering if you guys had some links to tips and tricks on how to give it a few physical damage effects? I want to do a crease like in the movie from the bullet, but I was thinking of smashing in one of the top vents like it took a hit from a fall, perhaps some scratches and knicks... I really want it to look OLD and beaten. Any good tips?

I just made a new mold of a rockteer helmet I've come across

Just to clarify - were you the original creator of the helemt or did you make a mold of someone else's work?

It sounds like you have already answered how I would weather it up - roll it around, use some sandpaper to rough it up, etc

Actually it's a long story.. but I was working at a place in North Hollywood and one of folks leaving left a ton of things and gave them to the shop because he was way, way behind on rent. I found a fiberglass jacket and inside was the helmet and what was left of the silicone. it was falling apart really bad, and was unusable, and the cast in there had a huge amount of damage including a bunch of welding missing, dents, and all the details were missing. It's like they kicked it around then shoved it back in the jacket to try and keep the silicone in place. I re-sculpted all the damaged parts, bodyshopped it to make it glossy, and made the fin from screen shots of the movie out of acrylic and bondo, and resulpted the area with the fin. That's how I came across it, since I see what you're hinting at, lol.

I was hoping for more interesting suggestions, like slashes or perhaps heavy dents into it... I don't know if heating it up and pressing something into it will make the effect... I really want it to have some real damage and weathering.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back