CW Flash Fabric ID Thread

The Prop Lord

To my surprise, I have not seen very many CW's Flash threads on the RPF even with the increased hype of the show.

I plan on going to the Dragon Con as DC's Fastest Man Alive.

The RPF member, TheRocketeer, makes (or rather, made) fantastic replicas of the cowl. Since his run is over, I'll be making my own.

The shoes have been ID'd and the information is in other threads.

For this particular thread, I would like to discuss the different fabrics that were possibly used.

It's obvious that Leather was used in many sections of the suit. However, I cannot figure out what the rest of the fabric is made from. I've never had the opportunity to see the costume in person so I am limited to pics around the web and the brilliant advice from members on The RPF.

Here are a few shots from around the web:

8.jpg9.jpg10.png

Observation suggests the use of some sort of Mesh fabric. What kind? Well, that's the thing. Is it a mesh like the Dark Knight with an underlying fabric beneath it? Or is it a mesh material with the "back" already woven into it. Perhaps mesh is lying on top of leather, giving it a change in color?

One type of weave I have found was a Knit Mesh. You can find this type of fabric on sports clothing, shoes, and backpacks. However, some are not "open" like the Dark Knight's mesh. Some are a "closed" weave.

Here's an example of what I found. You only have to purchase 500 yards at a time. :wacko
100_polyester_mesh_knitted_netting_fabric.jpg

This image suggests the fabric has a "shimmering" back, which resembles what has presumably been used for The Flash. It would also appear that the same material is also used for the Reverse Flash's costume (with the inclusion of Leather, of course.)

I'm not a professional seamstress. I don't know the names of fancy types of fabric. All I know is what I'm told or what I research. This is why I need help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've always thougt that the fabric was screen printed, like Star Lord's jacket was. It does seem to have texture which I think is the ink.

Wes

I don't think it's a printed fabric. I believe the muscle highlights and shadows have been air-brushed on top of some sort of textile fabric. The more I research different fabrics, the more I am led to believe it is a Jersey Knit Mesh, or a Spacer Mesh "pressed" onto another fabric and treated to stay together. or something completely different entirely.

Last edited:
I disagree. Looking at the pictures you posted, on Flash's left side, in the shadows, I can see how you would be led to believe that mesh was possible. If you look at his right side, in th sunlight, the pattern is raised. I honestly believe they took a page from the Star Lord jacket book and applied it to the Flash suit.

Are you saying that the lighter sections are what is raised, instead of the brick "cement"?
(research)
Wow... I believe you are right!

Last edited:
I don't think it's a printed fabric. I believe the muscle highlights and shadows have been air-brushed on top of some sort of textile fabric. The more I research different fabrics, the more I am led to believe it is a Jersey Knit Mesh, or a Spacer Mesh "pressed" onto another fabric and treated to stay together. or something completely different entirely.
I agree with this most likely being a jersey mesh. It's a lot thinner than any spacer mesh I've seen, and it's difficult to find spacer mesh in a color other than black. But yeah I agree with you 99% on the jersey knit

The raised pattern on the fabric is just really small lightning bolts. They are printed similar to the MOS suit chain mail.
Screen shot 2015-02-15 at 7.49.30 PM.png

The suits are seriously starting to show some wear.
Screen shot 2015-02-15 at 7.55.43 PM.png

Last edited:
I've never done any screen printing, but I wonder if something like Dragon Skin or Vytaflex could be used in place of traditional inks.

I played around with Illustrator last night and made the lightning bolt pattern. I'll post it when I get home. I think it's pretty accurate, but I doubt it's 100% perfect. It's definitely not the right scale, but it's something to go on.

Last edited:
Flash_Lightning_Pattern.jpg
This is on a 8.5" x 11" file. Definitely not 100% accurate or scale, but at least I know I can do it on Illustrator.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back