CW Flash Accurate Replica Suit Cosplay Build PIC HEAVY

123Prime1

Hey guys! This thread is about my accurate CW Flash Replica Suit build which is currently a work in progress. First off, a little backstory. Last May I completed my first Flash suit. I used one of the standard suits from aliexpress and the cowl was made by TheRocketeer. It wasn't bad for a first try, but there were many changes I wanted to make. Here are some pics of my original suit

20170301_221320.png

20170301_221031.png

The sleeves were way too baggy, the suit was extremely hot, the boots sucked, there were no stretch vents in the knees, etc. So over the summer I made some upgrades. I bought knew pants from eBay that had stretch vents. I also got new boots. I re-did my chest emblem with magnets so I had the option of choosing between a red and white background. I also took in the seams in the arms so that they weren't so baggy and removed the two layers of lining that were in the jacket to help with the heat. This was the end result.

20170301_221157.png

20170301_221231.png

20170301_221212.png

While this was a massive upgrade that I was very proud of, I still wasn't satisfied. I realized I wasn't going to achieve the accuracy I wanted to with what I had to work with. UD Replicas released their Flash suit which is REALLY awesome, but I wanted a cosplay suit, not a motorcycle suit. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a brand new suit from scratch.

The first thing I tackled was the pattern. There were many things about the pattern on my suit that I wasn't happy with. But I'm not good at pattern making so I did some research and found a video on Youtube by Tested where Adam Savage extracted the pattern of a production made Martian suit with blue tape, craft paper, and poster board. I used this method making changes to the pattern as I saw fit.

20170301_221248.png

There were many parts of the pattern that had to be completely re-vamped and made from scratch like the collar, belt, thump loops, etc. But this gave me something I could easily work with and use the original for reverence.

Next was the fabric. If you look closely on the screen used Flash suit, there are lightning bolts printed onto parts of the suit. Again, going back to YouTube, I saw a video by Ismahawk where they did a live action battle between Flash and Quicksilver and the Flash suit that was created for that video had the accurate lightning bolts. After watching the BTS video I found the company that made their suits which is In Disguise Designs. It turns out they make their own custom screen printed fabric and one of the options they had was for the CW Flash fabric which is the same stuff they used in the live action battle video. After contacting them on Facebook, they sold me five 40" by 40" tiles. The end product was absolutely stellar and I highly recommend these guys!

20170301_221303.png

So after I had the custom screen printed fabric in hand, I then sourced the vinyl from OnlineFabricStore.net The vinyl only costed about $8 a yard so it was very cost effective lol. I then got to work sewing.

20170117_184020.jpg

(My apologies if the pics come out sideways. These are from my phone and I don't know why therpf does this.)

IMG_20170119_211746_563.jpg

IMG_20170121_233239_465.jpg

IMG_20170121_233235_989.jpg

IMG_20170126_231625_845.jpg

I added headliner foam to the chest to give it that puffed out look like it has on the show.

IMG_20170124_210855_642.jpg

IMG_20170213_224337_825.jpg

IMG_20170213_232723_668.jpg

20170223_173931.jpg

20170223_183605.jpg

I am shocked by how well everything had come out thus far. Especially considering I had no prior experience sewing something of this caliber and no experience sewing gold piping.

I then proceeded to work on the collar which, as I stated before, had to be pattern from scratch

Screenshot_20170301-220210.png

The only things that are officially done that I don't have pics for are the belt and the belt buckle but I don't have pics of those yet cuz I'm too lazy lol. The things that I am currently working on are the gloves and the boots. I tried making the gloves but I wasn't happy with the pattern. Here is a pic

IMG_20170226_174058_841.jpg

Again, I had never sewn gloves before so this was a new experience and I had no idea I could sew something like this. Especially with the finger gussets.

Next are the boots. I sourced the accurate shoes used in the boots of the screen used suit for season 1. I actually found them used in my exact size on eBay for only $10. Talk about a steal lol. I made my own pattern from scratch with grocery bags, clear film, duct tape, and a sharpie. It took a couple tries but I eventually made a pattern that I was satisfied with.. The picture shown below is my first try at pattern making the boots. So if the boot seems too short, you'll know why.

20170130_182105.jpg

Here is a boot that had started the gluing process. I ripped the boot cover off the shoe because it didn't glue right, but I minus well show the pic because I think it looks pretty cool.

IMG_20170228_202231_144.jpg

My new cowl is currently being made by Jamie Arnold over at Iconic-fx. I sent him a vinyl fabric sample of my suit which he will use to color match my cowl. Here is a pic from him.

IMG_20170210_210729_359.jpg

And that's my Flash suit so far! I still gotta work on the gloves, boots, and pants. I should receive the cowl next week. I want to give a huge shout out to SMP Designs for his tread on his CW Flash suit as that helped guide and motivate me a lot on this project. I don't know if I will be able to update this thread regularly so if you want to keep up to date on my progress be sure to follow me on instagram: @Equinox_cosplay where I post regularly on my page and in my stories on the progress of the suit. I hope you guys enjoyed this first part of my thread and got to pick at my brain a little bit. I've been giving it some thought and I hope to open up commissions for this suit sometime soon so be out on the lookout for that if you're interested. Not making any promises, but I would love to do that in the future. Anyways, thanks for reading :)

Keep on' creating,
Thomas

Last edited:
Really nice build you have here, Prime! It has come together in a great way. Looking forward to seeing the whole suit assembled!

Hey, man. I was wondering exactly what kind of shoes it was that Grant used? I mean, I could figure it out but I don't feel like looking through every shoe company I know to find a matching sole. And you already know XD But of course, I understand if you would rather keep that to yourself. Just thought I'd ask either way. On a side note, your suit looks great!

Hey, man. I was wondering exactly what kind of shoes it was that Grant used? I mean, I could figure it out but I don't feel like looking through every shoe company I know to find a matching sole. And you already know XD But of course, I understand if you would rather keep that to yourself. Just thought I'd ask either way. On a side note, your suit looks great!
Never mind, I found them. I guess impatience is more powerful than laziness :lol

Oh yeah XD It's the New Balance MR10. What Coleen Atwood did was take the shoes Grant did his training in and made the boots right over them. Then made the soles black for the show.

Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply, been busy with school work. They actually aren't the MR10's as they aren't the correct shape or sole color. In season one they used the New Balance Minimus MX20BK3 which are now discontinued. Since season 2 started they used the New Balance Minimus 20v5 which are currently available :)

Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply, been busy with school work. They actually aren't the MR10's as they aren't the correct shape or sole color. In season one they used the New Balance Minimus MX20BK3 which are now discontinued. Since season 2 started they used the New Balance Minimus 20v5 which are currently available :)

Awesome! thank you!

Anyway, I can have you do this for me?

In the future? Yeah. I have been giving it a lot of thought and I would love to open up commissions. I'm already making a pair of boots for a client. After I finish my personal suit and I have a system down pact where I can effectively and efficiently make suits for people then I would be happy to open up commissions :)

Hey guys! First off, my apologies for the lack of updates. I've been very per-occupied as of late. I know I said I would show off my cowl from Iconic-fx when I got it two weeks ago, but I forgot so I'm doing it now lol. The cowl is pretty awesome. I only have a 22.5" head and it fits perfectly. My original Rocketeer cowl def needed some padding to fit my head but this new one doesn't need any padding at all so it's great for guys like me who have smaller heads.

20170318_131502.jpg

20170318_131507.jpg

20170318_131511.jpg

(Again, therpf likes to format photos from my phone sideways :facepalm)

Flash cowls or any other cowls with necks in general usually have really huge necks. That's fine most of the time but the CW Flash has a very slim neck so what I do to the neck piece is add Velcro and overlap the pieces to make the neck piece slimmer. I don't actually recommend you do this because it can be extremely uncomfortable and I never wear the neck piece for an extreme amount of time. So unless you are a trained idiot like I am, don't do this lol.

20170318_131529.jpg

20170318_131535.jpg

20170318_131551.jpg

I removed the ear bolts because they were a little small and inaccurate in my opinion so I'm going to cast my own and also cast my own belt bolts. On the side, I'm also making a client's Reverse Flash boots. I'm also going to make their belt and modify their suit. The dude is going to be meet Grant Gustin and Mark Hamil in his suit, so I'm going to do my best to make it perfect lol. Here's a pic of his raw duct tape boot pattern. I have to make a new pattern every time I make a custom pair of boots because they are custom made to their specific measurements. It's also the new updated shoe the show has been using since Season 2 so these will be the most accurate boots I have made yet.

received_1275853985868713.jpeg

I hope to open up commission for Flash boots first on my etsy page as an introduction to the possibility of commissioning suits for people. I'm having a ton of fun making this custom pair for the client and I would love to do it for other people.

And that's it right now! I haven't really been working on the suit but I hope to make more progress and in the coming weeks. I'm mostly going to be working on this client's Reverse Flash suit for the next week so if you want progress pics of that, let me know and I'll post pics here :)

Attachments

• 20170318_131320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 376
  • 20170318_131406.jpg
    20170318_131406.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 538
Very impressive work! I've been looking into a Flash suit but every review had baggy arms and really baggy, non tapered pants. However your costume is the first that is slim cut like it should be. How difficult was it to take in the arms and legs?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back