Cutting a circle out of acrylic?

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a thin sheet of acrylic (1/16") that I need to cut a 3.5" circle out of. My bandsaw just cracked the sheet. Outside of having it laser cut, what are some ways I can cut this cleanly?

Using my router never occurred to me... I'll give that a try tomorrow. If that fails miserably (distinct possibility :lol) I'll take you up on that, Philip!

I just cut out a bunch of acrylic circles for an arc reactor..... i scored sheet on both sides with a small nail and it should snap right off dont know how to explain so see pic--- (u will have to drill small hole in center)

16381-dsci0699.jpg

hope it helps

i use the dremel, cut it out wider than the final circle, and then sand down the excess with the dremel sanding bit. did it for my arc reactor, worke perfectly fine

A CNC router with the right bit should work. Not as smooth as laser though.

Actually, it's a little different.

A laser produces a glass clear edge, but it's serrated because the beam is pulsed on and off quickly and the edge vaporizes, but not glass smooth.

A cnc can produce a much smoother edge, but not a glass clear one.

Many times, glass smooth isn't necessary, but if the piece needs to be glass smooth and clear, cnc cutting, then sanding and buffing is the best answer.

I recently had mine laser cut , Rebelscum is accurate in every word he said too, I loved all the small stuff cut by laser, wish I had one of those machines ,Id never leave home....lol

Try covering the area needed to cut with duct or masking tape it strengthens the area and cuts down on vibration and minimizes the chance for cracking.

Cut a couple 3.5 " circles in ply wood and sandwich the acrylic between them. It will make cutting on a saw or sander much easier.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back