Custom comic style Magneto costume w/ lightup gauntlets- Cardboard build

Wearenotlinear

So this is my first time building something out of cardboard like this.
I got the idea from this guy on youtube: Dali DIY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMHOaqKjuw
He makes tons of cowls and helmets from cardboard and provides templates and reference pics on his blog.
However, I don't have a printer (3D or plain old 2D) so I decided to free hand it using my measurements.

I wanted the comic book colors of red and purple but with the worn and textured look of the Days of Future Past helmet.
I started with two cereal boxes (Golden puffs and Frosted Mini Wheats, not that the brand is very important).
I traced out my shapes, cut it out and taped it together with packing tape.
plans.jpg cut.jpgtape.jpg

Then I took some thicker cardboard and drew a template for how I wanted the details to look. This is the more customized part. I stuck to the comic book style but added my own flare so to speak.
cut2.jpgtape2.jpg

Then I taped those in place.

I mixed wood glue with water and brushed the whole thing. Let it set for a few minutes, then took layers of single ply toilet paper and wood glue-water mixture and basically papier-mached the whole thing.

It looked like this after:

cover2.jpgcover.jpg

Once that dried I was ready to paint.
I used up all my red paint on the back spider of my spidey costume, so I mixed colors til I found one I liked: Cordial Wine puffy paint mixed with Orange puffy paint. It has a nice darkness to it, but still very red. I used a brush.

paint red.jpg

I did the same for the purple, didn't have any purple, so I mixed Cordial Wine puff paint with Navy Blue. Came out a nice dark purple.
Using the puff paint gave the finished look a nice sheen and a sturdy vinyl feel. With the cardboard beneath and the layers of glue and paper, it's fairly sturdy but still flexible enough to get on and off.
paint purple.jpg

I more or less finished the whole thing in two days, a total of 6 hours of work from start to finish.
Here it is finished, with the purple line added to the bottom rim of the helmet.
Finished.jpghelmet 2.jpghelmet 3.jpghelmet 1.jpg
me and helmet.jpg

I just need to paint the inside black and I'll be done. Oh! almost forgot, and I plan on adding a gem or something to the middle area above the brow, but I won't be doing the wings like in the comics.

I'm probably going to do the whole costume, so as I finished pieces I'll add them here. Thinking of rigging some electro-magnets and lights in the gloves for fun times! :)

Let me know what you all think. I like the way it turned out.

Last edited:
Re: Magneto's helmet Comic style but inspired by DOFP - Cardboard build w/ pics

It looks damn good for a speed build.

I would love to see someone start one of these as a base and really take their time with it.

It looks damn good for a speed build.

I would love to see someone start one of these as a base and really take their time with it.
Thanks! I thought it turned out pretty good for my first run at it.
I'm thinking about smoothing it out a bit and spending some time making it look a little better. If I do, ill post pics here. I'm currently designing and conceiving a custom Magneto suit to go with It. I'll be taking more time on the suit. Should be fun!

Okay. I smoothed out the top a bit and decided to add the wings.
IMAG0699.jpgIMAG0701.jpgIMAG0700.jpg
I'm currently designing the whole suit. I'm swapping the purple cape for a red one and ill be building a whole support structure to give the cape the lift and look from the comics. The armor will be foam. Same with the gauntlets. The gloves will have lights and electeo magnets and i will be installing a fan on the back beneath the cape to give it a constant billowing effect. I'm excited. Depending on how it all comes together, I may redo the helmet. For now, I am satisfied.

Just got back from the electronics store and started working on the lights for the gauntlets.
I'm using ultrabright white LEDs and plastic storage cases for the housings. Three housings, three leds each. I'm putting a push button switch in the palm of the left glove and running both to a 18v, two 9v battery pack. Just finished the first light assembly and battery pack assembly.
I sanded the plastic case to diffuse the light a little bit. It only sort of did the trick.
IMAG0702.jpg

Here is the circuit for each
IMAG0705.jpg

Five more to go, then I build the gauntlets. They'll plug into wires ran through the sleeves so they can be easily put on and taken off.

Finished the lights and switch for the left guantlet. Looking pretty cool.
IMAG0711.jpg

Okay! Got the frame of the left gauntlet done today and picked up some batting gloves from the thrift store that look pretty cool.
Some of the wires came undone during test fit so I'll have to address that, but here it Is in all its cardboard glory.
IMAG0712.jpgIMAG0713.jpgIMAG0714.jpg

All painted up with the glove attached. Button is in the palm of the glove.
IMAG0718.jpgIMAG0719.jpg

Started work on the shoulders and chest piece... Cardboard and knit fabric.
Here it is unpainted and unfinished
IMAG0724.jpg
And here is my mannequin head looking quite Magneto if you ask me.

IMAG0725.jpg

I went with dioxazine purple, its nice and deep and looks blue to me under yellower lights.
Hope you like how its coming along. Feel free to give any suggestions or comments.
More updates as I finish pieces.

Got some more done today.
Worked on the stomach armor (using a beer 12 pack case as the base and a thicker box for the pieces)
IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

And here is everything I've got built so far
IMAG0733.jpg

Need to add some chest armor/pecs and the crotch armor, then ill be working on the cape. I built a frame to give the shoulders the right lift. More pics soon

Last edited:
Scored some awesome red pleather pants at the thrift store today ($4) and a zip up burgundy thermal for under the armor. Worked on the cape a bit this morning and, here it is so far.
IMAG0751.jpg

Been working on the boots. Just finished them last night.
Here's a few photos to show the progress

Knee pad pieces.

11021120_793034360773238_3187491135185191310_n.jpg11025821_793034417439899_1525514577068912449_n.jpg

Shoes made from cereal boxes and an ankle of the same purple fabric used for the neck piece.
I glued an old pair of sandals to them for the sole and to hold em in place.
10407208_793034544106553_6568039798198005602_n.jpg1507035_793034627439878_3137163443045010761_n.jpg10646838_793034794106528_4083031140191882830_n.jpg

And finished product:
10423970_794036644006343_5644648137356392597_n.jpg10393691_794036380673036_4137138704596631939_n.jpg10291791_794036587339682_3353190031289124958_n.jpg

Trying one on:
10462469_793034894106518_152156.jpg

Whole costume pics to come soon. Just need to finish the wiring for the right gauntlet and put it together.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back