Cross threaded AS V2 pommel

So I have a problem. Was trying to start work on my 2nd run AS V2 lightsaber that I bought from the Junkyard and found out the pommel has cross threaded itself. If that wasn’t bad enough, it now won’t budge in either direction! I’m completely stumped and have no idea what to do.
Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on what to do?
IMG_2797.JPG

It went on with force, and it will come off with force. Perhaps try to warm/heat gently beforehand and get a good grip.

You may need to rethread afterwards.

More pictures of the saber... there isn’t a starkiller that has a threaded pommel

The pommels on AS hilts have been a really tight fit for me, to the point that many have to be twisted in, and only after some material has been removed from the inner lip on the pommel. If you haven't removed enough material, or any, it can get stuck like this when trying to insert it. I wonder if getting stuck while twisting it in is what he means?

I would put it pommel-end-down in a bowl of ice, and pour some ice water down into the inside of the pommel to see if the slight shrinkage that results will allow you to pop it out with a mallet (or if it's not an AS, and truly is threaded, to unscrew it).

I did have to sand the pommel down a bit for it fit in the saber. But there's no threads in that end... unless your talking about the the little retaining allen screw thing being cross threaded. If that baby's still in there, it won't budge.
IMG_1496.JPG

Funny I’ve never had a single issue?

Like the pervious poster said, try sanding it by hand with some sand paper that should break it up

Agreed, I have never heard of a threaded pommel version of the AS V2. In general I feel as though all the AS V2's have the tiniest bit of play at most connection points to avoid issues like this. I would need to see more pictures of the saber to see what we are working with before I offer any advice.

Liquid penetrant will help. Also boil water pour it in a cup and put the end into it for a minute or two. Get some work gloves with good grip to protect yourself from the heat and start twisting it off back and forth.

TazMan2000

So I have a problem. Was trying to start work on my 2nd run AS V2 lightsaber that I bought from the Junkyard and found out the pommel has cross threaded itself. If that wasn’t bad enough, it now won’t budge in either direction! I’m completely stumped and have no idea what to do.
Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on what to do?View attachment 1079029

The first runs of Starkiller’s V2’s were designed to have a gap between the booster and the pommel area, so if you are trying to force that gap closed, I recommend not doing so.

Try shooting WD40 into the joint, generously, and letting it sit for a while. Then, take two wrags and wrap one on either end of the saber and twist in opposite directions with all the force that you can muster. Avoid using hammers, pliers, plumbers helpers, etc. if you can.

If that fails, if you haven’t mounted the emitter, you can run a metal rod down the neck of the saber until it makes contact with the pommel and strike the top of the rod, sticking out of the top of the saber, with a mallet until the pommel pops off.

There were no threaded pommels on any of my runs.

What were you trying to do with the build?

I bought it already assembled from the Junkyard and full disclaimer this is the first saber I’ve ever worked on. Was only trying to take it apart so I could tidy up what the original seller said needed to be done. I didn’t even know if it was threaded or not, just twisted and felt like it was.

Got a screenshot of the conversation with the original seller/owner.
IMG_2804.JPG

If you are interested, you can mail it back to me and I'll fix it up for you. The only thing is, I'm not sure when exactly I'll get a chance to get into the shop and fix everything, so I'd ask for a few weeks grace period with it to complete the work.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you my address.

Wicked customer service right there

If you are interested, you can mail it back to me and I'll fix it up for you. The only thing is, I'm not sure when exactly I'll get a chance to get into the shop and fix everything, so I'd ask for a few weeks grace period with it to complete the work.

DUDE!!! That's what I call awesome!!! :D (y)

Yeah I think I might take you up on that. I’ll shoot you a pm. You’re a legend mate!

There were no threaded pommels on any of my runs.

What were you trying to do with the build?

Hi I have a similar issue with my saber do you do repairs? I’m interested in your services

What is happening with these pommels?

They are not threaded, so if they're a little too thick, a little sandpaper around the pommel insert section or around the inner surface of the booster will make them fit perfectly.

The receased groove should line up with the grub screw in the booster.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back