Crema's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Crema

Well, this is first time to post a thread in here for me. Please forgive me for making stupid mistakes on posting things*(Yes, mostly about pics).

This year, I decided to do the Pyro from Team Fortress 2. Of course, girls play video games too...!

For me, this is the second big project for making costume. The first one was the Evie from Vindictus (Mabinogi Heroes). It was decent costume with the fairly accurate details. But the one thing that bothered me was the fact that*I forgot to reinforce the pink foam structure for the death scythe. As a result, it just broken into pieces from the strong wind... (It was cold Christmas day and for that con, the costume players had to stay mostly*outside of the building...) So I had to fix it with the box tapes. It was UGLY.

So for this costume, I used Bondo to reinforce my Axtinguisher, the weapon that I chose to wield, but the neighborhood kid just came when I was gone for the school (I am currently in the boarding school), and... Yes. THAT KID just played with it like it was a real axe and it just broke into two parts... that's why it's not included in the picture, but I might fix it if I have time for that. This time, with the fiberglass (by the way, I never used the fiberglass before. It is a bit expensive for the students to buy...)

Well, enough for the blah blahs,*
I started this project from last year. It was a long term project because I am currently a high school student and also in the boarding school, so I had not much chances to get enough supplies, as well as the access for the power tools (this problem kinda resolved by being in the crew for the play. YAY SANDERS!!). Because of that, I found a way to get enough supplies from using the recycle trashes as a base structures. It was pretty easy because I live in dormitory, "the fountain of all the trash"..... (eh, it might be a too much exaggeration), I could get the perfect shaped bottles or boxes from the recycle bins. I just needed to buy some putty to modify it a bit. I used some soda cans for the napalm grenades, small plastic bottles for Hydrogen (I assume..) tank, empty tissue roll and 3 liter bottles(I bought them from a dollar shop) for the main gas tank.... etc. They are all attachable on harness with the magnets in them. It made me easier to wear it and move with them on. For coloring them, I used spray paint (both lacquer and enamel) on the sanded surface, mostly 3~4 layers to prevent them from chipping. If still had airbrushes, it might be easier to find the perfect hue of colors, but I lost one, so I had to buy tons of gray sprays to find the most satisfying hue of gray. Why the colors of their caps are not accurate??
For the jumpsuit, I bought some thick furniture fabric and made it into actual jumpsuit right away (I just measured my body size briefly..). That made it little bit uncomfortable to wear, but came out quite decent. I sprayed the matte black spray and brushed some charcoal powder*for the ash effect. Thank you Protowilson ( http://protowilson.tumblr.com/ ) for this tip!!*
Making the mask was not that hard. I had to buy the Russian GP-5 mask and saw the filter connector off, and put the screen accurate, wait, no, Game Accurate filters and knob made from bottle caps, tuna can, and hair mask container.
Actually, the mask is too small for me right now (I bought small size, and it is too small for me that I can not even open my mouth and every time I try to put it on, I accidentally peel off some black plasti-dip that is sprayed on because it was originally white), so I ordered medium black one, and I am hoping that will arrive before halloween. (It says it will take about 2~3 weeks... oooh...)

It is mostly done right now. I might make Lollichop as a weapon due to my Axtinguisher just broken, and also because I recently bought inflatable Balloonicorn. Balloonicorn will not float even if I fill it with helium gas, but I might use some thick wire to hold it like it is floating. It will not be that hard.

Here's some progress pictures that I have right now. (I lost most of the progress pics because my USB just broken...) One picture that has overall look is a bit old pic. I changed some details, mostly harness, of the costume, so it will look different from it.

Ps. I am currently considering making (or buy and modding) any hat for this costume. Any ideas??

Attachments

• tumblr_mipll4JL2L1rq9krgo1_500.png
    tumblr_mipll4JL2L1rq9krgo1_500.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4214.JPG
    IMG_4214.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Sorry for not updating...!
There was quite a lot of progression on the costume. I made Lollichop, boots top, bigger gas mask, air tank details, and modified harness!
I made an ai file for the air tank details. Then printed out on the glossy photo paper and glued it on.
For the Lollichop, I used the foam for the wreath, wooden stick, and some cardboards. Painted with the acrylics for the exact effect as the game model. Currently rounding off the corners with the masking tape.
Here's some pics! (The final pics will be on the better quality...)

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 122
  • re2.jpg
    re2.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
Here's my proof picture! (It was a bad idea to use a silver marker in the strong sunlight....)

Attachments

• pyro-1.jpg
    pyro-1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 243
Some photos with Lightroom'ing'!
Enjoy!

Attachments

• pyroed-1.jpg
    pyroed-1.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 144
  • pyroed-2.jpg
    pyroed-2.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 130
  • pyroed-3.jpg
    pyroed-3.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 122
  • pyroed-4.jpg
    pyroed-4.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 116
  • pyroed-5.jpg
    pyroed-5.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 117
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back