Creating DV Rotj Lightsaber Parts

Hi all,
I'd definitely like to dive into these! Especially after such enthusiasm [emoji2]
And I would definitely want to add some DV saber parts to my webshop! cboath: if you don't mind I'll give it a go and create some CAD files based on the images in this thread and Sym-Cha's parts as reference. Maybe I can include the front D-ring assembly and the sleeve. How about that sleeve. What is it? And how is that box attached? I can see a metal sleeve and internal tube in NeoRutty's image. Maybe someone can tell me how it's assembled. And do you think the parts should be in aluminium? And painted or only machined like the Ob1kenny part?

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got them in a CAD program already :) No need to re-invent the wheel so to speak. I can kick out drawings, or you can if you really want to do it suppose :)

The d-ring assembly isn't part of the shroud. It's attach to the top half of the graflex. The shroud itself has i think 1 screw hole in it. That's it.

The clamp, i think, is metal. It's hard to say. Looks like they took a 1 1/2" pipe/tube and slit it down the side and slid it over the halves to me. The box, i believe is either a screen door latch or some british fuse. The attachment, i think, is pulling the two cylindrical pieces out and then a screw goes in each chamber to attach it to the hilt itself. I think i even modeled it that way, too. I'd have to look.

Either way, just let me know how you'd like to proceed.

I modeled this today:

Capture.PNG

Shapeways seems to imply it's printable for about $50 in stainless steel. Surprised me. Not Vader saber related, but still :)

What really is the shroud? It just looks like the base of a Heiland/MPP reflector with the end cut off. In Chaim's close-up it looks like there was a hole where the rod went through that was filled in.

I'm crazy, right (it wouldn't surprise anybody--woohoo!)

What the shroud is originally made of I do not know ... I do know that you would have to alter a 1 step MPP cut shroud quite a bit to get the result of the DV ROTJ Graflex shroud :

Chaim

Did you just cut one up? Hahaha neat

And yea, this doesn't look anything like an MPP or Heiland shroud. It's two pieces, the main ring and the extension beneath it. Nobody has any idea what it is.

Nor do we have any idea what's inside this saber! There are some sort of pipes jammed inside, and we're not even 100% sure the back half is a graflex tube lol. I have some reference photos, I'll post them.

Attachments

• LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_ls.jpg
    LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_ls.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 79
  • LFA_RVROTJ_controlbox.jpg
    LFA_RVROTJ_controlbox.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 82
  • LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_back.jpg
    LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_back.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 71
  • LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_rs.jpg
    LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_rs.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Ha,ha,ha ... alas that MPP shroud arrived already being cut from Kurtyboy some time ago with other MPP parts I could put to good use after the MPP tube was used by him for an accurate Boba Fett Blaster :) Thanks for those pictures ... somehow I've always felt as if the top G R A F L E X part was covered in chrome foil ... just as the clamp from OB1 ANH, because it's to shiny for a real G R A F L E X flashgun ... so when looking at those pictures I always see a seamline somehow ... anyhow it would also help to cover any mistakes and revealing of brass underlayer when drilling those additional holes for those hex screws :wacko

Chaim

Last edited:
Alas, it's never that easy, is it?

You know what it is? It's two indistinguishable pieces of random crap glued together so that no one could ever make another one. They did it on purpose just to make us crazy. And they succeeded.

Oh boy - there are two large circular depressions beneath the skin on the side of the activator box. AND there is a large gap beneath it. I also see little "production" circular marks on both sections of the emitter shroud.

The BOTTOM of the control box is a separate piece by the way. You can see it here on the Barbican, to the right of an Icons replica. Maybe it will give some clues.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 1.15.29 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 1.15.29 AM.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 128
Alas, it's never that easy, is it?

You know what it is? It's two indistinguishable pieces of random crap glued together so that no one could ever make another one. They did it on purpose just to make us crazy. And they succeeded.
Either that or those parts were borrowed from the second death star whilst under construction? I mean who would stop DV delving into a few parts bins.
Oi you in the black cloak those are imperial parts what do you think you're doeeegghhhhhhhh crump. :lol

While I already have a full one of Kenny parts, a work in progress, a scratch built, and some weird one made up of inaccurate parts on a solid aluminium bar, I would STILL get a kit, and put it on a parks or something... I love this saber.

I guess I don't have an electronics one... maybe that will be the plan for this run (should it happen)

Of course I also will get a single shroud so I can finish off my incomplete.

BTW... this site has a run down of the parts being put together on Kenny's version:

http://www.elvistrooper.com/dvrotj/

Oh boy - there are two large circular depressions beneath the skin on the side of the activator box. AND there is a large gap beneath it. I also see little "production" circular marks on both sections of the emitter shroud.

The BOTTOM of the control box is a separate piece by the way. You can see it here on the Barbican, to the right of an Icons replica. Maybe it will give some clues.

any chance there's a larger version of it?

Yeah, the control box most definitely looks like a plastic piece, consisting out of two parts, which probably snap together. All details indicate that it's plastic. The warping on the side wall look like sink marks. Perhaps it was a fuse holder or an electronic connector or something similar. And the circular dents in the shroud might indicate demoulding pins from injection moulded plastic parts. Although the direction of demoulding doesn't make sense. But it could also be holes which are filled before the shroud was painted.

Something else: are all those hex screws in the front screwed into a base parts which holds the blade pin and at the same time connecting the front with the back? Might make sense.

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

When you talk control box, you're talking the door latch bit by the shroud, correct?

I think the barbican and the ROTJ are different in that regard. They're not remotely similar.

I don't think anyone knows for certain, but it's believed something is in there (wooden dowel?) for everything to screw into and hold it together. The hex screws were supposedly off the shelf items.

The clamp control is also different between them. The barbican's looks to be the same thing as the MPP, or close to it.

My thoughts exactly - my findings haven't been close enough - anyone live across the pond and seen something like this?

I have seen this type of switch once when I lived in a rundown Victorian in disrepair in Cincinnati. I have no clue when (what decade, or century) they were installed and haven't lived there for over 15 years.

So...the control box is absolutely not a light switch bud, that was some silly idea I had a while back lol I have a feeling (like Roy) that it's plastic and something from the electronics field.

I absolutely do not think the Barbican and this monstrosity are the same! :lol

The ROTJ has a ball-catch beneath the shroud. the greeblie beneath the shroud of the Barbican is the same piece sitting underneath the button on the ROTJ. it would appear they're part of the same unit. The piece on the barbican has been cut short (like the ball catch) to fit in place. I would assume the other end is identical.

Attachments

• barbicanbutton.jpg
    barbicanbutton.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 97
  • LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_ls.jpg
    LFA_DVROTJ_emitter_ls.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 100
Indeed that black piece on the Barbican is plastic of some kind and is exactly the same kind of part that was used on the DV ROTJ G R A F L E X on the underside of the controlbox albeit upside down ... there's no mistake there ... however what is was as a 'real world' part I have no idea whatsoever :wacko

Chaim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back