couple of interesting things about avp-r

jasp

possible reason for requim in the title and the size differnance in the ship at the end of AVP to the begining of AVP-r
requiem=the word "Requiem" means a song or mourning for the dead. When added to the title of the new Alien/Aliens vs. Predator film, I'm not quite sure what about this word is supposed to be descriptive of the events that are unfolding. We have a lone Predator covering up the deaths of his comrades due to the infestation of the Alien Xenomorph species. Sort of a damage control, as it were. I guess it could be related to the events taking motion due to the fallen Predators in the films opening.

size differance =Compare the predators ship and crew from the end of AVP and start of AVP: Requiem. The end of the first movie shows the huge ship on the ice with a huge amount of predators. The size of the ship and crew seams to have been downsized in the beginning of the second movie. [You are correct, but in the extended DVD release (Ultimate Combat) a missing scene showing the smaller ship leaving the much larger Predator ship, that was in the first AVP movie, is restored explaining the size difference.]
might have already been covered,i know the ship size has don't know about the requiem

They show a little ship breaking off and heading back to earth. It was the ship containing the same preds that just left earth. Why I wonder?

They show a little ship breaking off and heading back to earth. It was the ship containing the same preds that just left earth. Why I wonder?

....em... How could it have contained any Preds who didn't go to Earth ? The entire ship had just left the planet....hence ALL the Preds on the ship would have been to Earth.

The more confusing question is why were all the Alien remains ( and of course the hiding Hybrid ) all skinned and treated on a scout-ship and not the mothership ?

I would still like to know if the blue liquid that Wolf was using to dispose of evidence and etc. was the same blue liquid in P2 in the med kit scene to help melt down the debris to cauterize his wound.

Dropped his wallet....lol

Dunno. AVP:R left me confused as well. I assumed the Requiem was for the fallen Dachunde-based character, not the death and catastrophe being unleashed on Earth because they messed up.

The lone senior dispatched to clean up the mess wasn't really here for the sake of saving mankind and Earth. He seemed to kill indiscriminately, both intentionally and accidentally (ie humans defending themselves against xeno, the blonde that gets impaled to the wall by the giant shurikan looking disc, the deputy that tries to flee after seeing him destroy the corpses of the little boy and his father, etc) If he was really here for just the "clean-up," he wouldn't have been hunting people at all. None of those kills were very honorable and if anything, seemed painfully sloppy for a senior. So does that suggest that when a situation goes pear-shaped, the honor code gets chucked to the wayside?

What I also didn't get was why the pred never at some point realized his efforts were in vain. For every xeno he takes out, he looks up and five others scamper away. It was a completely uncontrolled environment, which gave the xeno reproductive ability far greater then they're already capable of. Why not call for back up? Turn the larger ship around, declare open season for xeno, and let the seniors/elite on board take care of it? If they wanted a fast, quiet clean up, wouldn't that have been a better option? Or was it just treated as one of the pyramid hive-cleansings from AVP where they try to succeed, but if they fail...oh well.

I'm not sure what I honestly think about the movie. Lots of questions, neat gizmos, a realistic look at what a xeno infestation would do on Earth, and a graphic reminder that both species are actually pretty horrible.

The Honor Code doesn't exist, this stuff belongs to the comics,novels, videogames etc

only the movies are canon, and in the movies the honor code doesn't exist, there is only a small glimpse of the honor element in the Thomas bros audio commentary, and they just talk about "the idea of some rules"

The preds hunt for sport and kill for pleasure, the original pred just killed armed humans, and it was cloacked all the time, at one point the wristcomp is damaged, by Dutch, and at that moment the pred continues the hunt uncloacked, forced to be.

Then in Predator 2, the new pred was still cloacked when it killed the columbians, the Jamaicans, and the thugs and casual people in the subway, and Lambert, and King Willie, but it couldn't use the cloack against the Feds, (radioactive dust) and when Harrigan came, the pred automatically tried to cloack, but the sprinklers prevented it.The pred spared the hooker,the kid, and Leona because they were all unarmed ( the fetus was an unarmed life form ) this is why Leona is armed, but "spared"

Wolf came to clean the mess, to delete traces of the crashed ship, and aliens presence, because the humans must not learn about aliens, or pred tech.As time goes on the aliens spread too fast and Wolf finally changed the (failed )mission objective, the cleaning turned into a good old hunt, this is why Wolf stopped to use the blue vial (used as a weapon in the hospital),and this is why Wolf dropped the last weapons and stuffs (shuriken , helmet) against the Predalien, since the Predalien was the main foe and the strongest enemy, since it killed 4 preds in the ship and many humans.Besides the Predalien owned Wolf in the sewers, and in the hospital.

That's kinda my point. Your post gives few examples of even a suggested idea that outlines what prey is suitable for hunting and what isn't. The debate, to me anyway, results because it's inconsistently applied, both in the movies and beyond, making it hard to conclude one way or the other.

If you just consider the Predator movies, I think there *is* an implied reserve, as it were. May not be a formal code of conduct, or honor code, but it still throws out the notion that indiscriminate killing is not employed, even in the name of sport. I'm not saying that because there's a reserve in place, there's likewise any consideration for the prey. I have no doubt the reasoning is selfish in nature, such as the trophy that defended itself is a far jucier story then one that didn't. And they have no problem utilizing their advanced technology for the upper hand, but any kind of hunting is seldom a truly fair match anyway. The conundrum is that both concepts exist simultaneously and side by side.

But the armed vs. unarmed idea is a consistent example in P1 and P2. The AVP movies and extended universe both blur and uphold those lines as well, making it impossible for me to say with certainty there is or isn't some kind of check-or-balance in place. And since AVP was based on the book, the franchise does seem to acknowledge the extended universe material, at least to some capacity. And if one *does* consider the extended universe, if there is no outline of acceptable behavior, why the need for arbitrators? Some kind of social standard has to be applied to define a bad blood's behavior as unacceptable.

What I also didn't get was why the pred never at some point realized his efforts were in vain. For every xeno he takes out, he looks up and five others scamper away. It was a completely uncontrolled environment, which gave the xeno reproductive ability far greater then they're already capable of. Why not call for back up? Turn the larger ship around, declare open season for xeno, and let the seniors/elite on board take care of it? If they wanted a fast, quiet clean up, wouldn't that have been a better option? Or was it just treated as one of the pyramid hive-cleansings from AVP where they try to succeed, but if they fail...oh well.

that movie would have been terrible. predators just kick ass with a bad story, almost no plot, no... oh wait.... they did it anyways.

The one good thing about the movie is that I didn't look at the clock.

....em... How could it have contained any Preds who didn't go to Earth ? The entire ship had just left the planet....hence ALL the Preds on the ship would have been to Earth.

The more confusing question is why were all the Alien remains ( and of course the hiding Hybrid ) all skinned and treated on a scout-ship and not the mothership ?

THE PREDS WORK LIKE THIS. THEY SEND A SCOUT SHIP WITH A FEW PREDS. ELDER STAYS ON THE MOTHER SHIP BECAUSE HE IS THE ELDER. THEIR WHERE ONLY A FEW HUNTERS AND WARRIORS AND A FEW YOUNG BLOODS ON THE DISPATCH SHIP BECAUSE THEY ARE IN CHARGE OF CLEANING OUT THE MESS. IF THE ENTIRE SHIP WENT AND DIED ALL THE PREDATORS WOULD HAVE DIED BECAUSE THEY LIVE OFF THEIR OWN RESOURCES. AND THE REASON FOR THE XENO CARCASSES IS THE SAME WHY A DETECTIVE TAKES A CASE FILE WITH HIM OR A DOCTOR TAKES A MEDICAL FILE. ITS FOR EXAMINATION OF THE ENEMY.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back