Cosplay at Star Wars Disney?

Well, no, because a badge is easy to create, and with a good costume ... its a lawsuit waiting to happen. It's always 1 bad apple the spoils it for others.

I believe i just saw an article that said you arent allowed to wear the jedi robes you can buy at the store on the premises.. but im not 100% sure, and i cant find the article...

I posted it in post 44 of this topic thread.

I recall a friend of mine who went to a Halloween event for their birthday back in the 90s and was told they couldnt enter the park with their Sailor Moon costumes... so this isnt anything new.

Okay so now we need to figure out how to abide by the rules but dress in character... under cover ... Jedi are a no go.. but a white raglan shirt, a vest and some cargo pants can make you a "spacer" in the old rpg books.... thats my angle... some drivers gloves and your a freighter captain.. lol

I wonder if they can circumvent that rule, by having one of those dress up booths you see at carnivals where you can get a sepia picture of you and your family and friends dressed up in old west clothing, except in SW clothing. They would be supervised at all times and can have a corndoned off area alongside the MF for pictures during parts of the day. Either that, or have them stand in front of a green screen and almost any scene can be loaded behind them. This should satisfy everyone, and still keep the park safe while covering Disney's butt.

TazMan2000

Yes you could do that but I don't really think it tackles the cosplayer desire to enter the park in costume. After all, most of us here can either pull off a photoshop trick ourselves or with help of a friend who knows how. So why spend $20 or $25 for such an expierence? Most of the people you are going to hear complain are going to be people who want to wear their own costumes and do their own thing around the park.

Yes you could do that but I don't really think it tackles the cosplayer desire to enter the park in costume. After all, most of us here can either pull off a photoshop trick ourselves or with help of a friend who knows how. So why spend $20 or $25 for such an expierence? Most of the people you are going to hear complain are going to be people who want to wear their own costumes and do their own thing around the park.

Whatever the desire of the cosplayer is, they're not going to convince Disney of changing their policy no matter how many emails they send to Disney.
I'm just offering an idea that they can get a modified similar experience. The cosplayer can wander almost anywhere else in the city wearing their full costume and nobody will stop them (unless they are carrying weapons).
Not everyone has experience in doing Photoshop work and making it look real. I think a lot of families would pay for a photo, since it is something you can do as a family, and you don't have to spend time and get the proper lighting to do it yourself. How much will a large green screen, lighting and a special camera cost?
In a similar analogy, everyone can make popcorn at home, but that doesn't stop people from buying it at the Disney Park or at movie theaters, or anywhere else for that matter.
Families buy photos of themselves going down Splash Mountain. They don't photoshop themselves doing so.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Whatever the desire of the cosplayer is, they're not going to convince Disney of changing their policy no matter how many emails they send to Disney.
I'm just offering an idea that they can get a modified similar experience. The cosplayer can wander almost anywhere else in the city wearing their full costume and nobody will stop them (unless they are carrying weapons).
Not everyone has experience in doing Photoshop work and making it look real. I think a lot of families would pay for a photo, since it is something you can do as a family, and you don't have to spend time and get the proper lighting to do it yourself. How much will a large green screen, lighting and a special camera cost?
In a similar analogy, everyone can make popcorn at home, but that doesn't stop people from buying it at the Disney Park or at movie theaters, or anywhere else for that matter.
Families buy photos of themselves going down Splash Mountain. They don't photoshop themselves doing so.

TazMan2000

First let me make it clear that I support the Disney rules on costuming and by point in this discussion is basically to explain why those that want to wear costumes into the park might want to and for what reasons.

With that said, you can talk about popcorn, potato chips, and rasinettes till the cows come home, but that idea is not going to scratch the itch of the cosplayer. It might be a fun little activity for some people in the same way you can get your face transposed onto a Star Wars image inside the Star Tours gift shop.

You’re not going to hear someone say. “I wanted to take a hundred photos of myself at Galaxy’s Edge in my screen accurate, highly detailed Darth Vader costume that I spent years researching and building, but standing here for a single pose with this off the rack costume closes-pinned to fit is just as good.”

Vader would be the last costume I would wear at GE if we were allowed and I wanted to wear a costume.

But you know there is some people out there that would.

I can’t think of any costume I’d want to wear at a park. Maybe Luke’s bacta tank diaper at Typhoon Lagoon. Honestly, I have some costumes but I did them for the sake of building them. I hate wearing them. I wore some simple costumes like Luke The Empire Strikes Back fatigues and Return of the Jedi outfit for some SDCCs. I put them on for group photos and some other things, but I couldn’t wait to take them off. Same with my trooper armor. Wore it once with some other trooper friends but from now on, it’s staying on athe mannequin.

Last edited:
I would want to be as comfortable as possible to get Max enjoyment. I did a zoo event once as Vader and barely saw the animals.

Amen brother.

I’m considering doing a Star Wars Disneybound as a civilian you might see on the planet. I foresee that character wearing shorts and sensible footwear.

First let me make it clear that I support the Disney rules on costuming and by point in this discussion is basically to explain why those that want to wear costumes into the park might want to and for what reasons.

With that said, you can talk about popcorn, potato chips, and rasinettes till the cows come home, but that idea is not going to scratch the itch of the cosplayer. It might be a fun little activity for some people in the same way you can get your face transposed onto a Star Wars image inside the Star Tours gift shop.

You’re not going to hear someone say. “I wanted to take a hundred photos of myself at Galaxy’s Edge in my screen accurate, highly detailed Darth Vader costume that I spent years researching and building, but standing here for a single pose with this off the rack costume closes-pinned to fit is just as good.”

I understand why Disney made that decision, and I support their reason, as well. My point was is that no amount of vitreol on here about Disney's reasoning is going to change their mind. Their park, their rules. If you don't like it, there are millions of people in line up behind you (eventually) willing to take your spot. You must have heard the age old saying, "You can please all of the cosplayers some of the time, and some of the cosplayers all of the time, but Disney ain't gonna let you cosplayers in no matta what".
At the same time, it really would be cool seeing a whole bunch of cosplayers in Galaxy's Edge, since it would be great entertainment. 300 Darth Vaders. 600 Han Solos, 300 Leias would really add to the authenticity.:D

P.S. Please don't post any photos of you in Luke's Bacta Tank Diaper. :lol:

TazMan2000

The cast members in character costumes are in not wearing badges. They are not going to have a trooper walk around with a badge that says "Tom".

I'll repeat what has been said here already. The Park does not want anyone mistaken on their property for as an authorized employee who is not. There are several reasons for it from just inappropriate to down right illegal and/or unsafe. Disney is not doing this for the sake of pissing you off. They are trying to protect themselves and they should.

I don't think they should. You can wear Harry Potter costumes at Universal can you not?

Well, no, because a badge is easy to create, and with a good costume ... its a lawsuit waiting to happen. It's always 1 bad apple the spoils it for others.

I believe i just saw an article that said you arent allowed to wear the jedi robes you can buy at the store on the premises.. but im not 100% sure, and i cant find the article...

I think that depends on the badge.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate. I went to the Star Wars Disney park dressed as Han Solo years ago and I pull off Han Solo pretty well. I would never do it again nor would they allow it.
People trust Disney. You can't have some random guy or gal pretending to be a Disney employee.

Remember the lunatic girl whose dream was ruined because she couldn't dress like Tinkerbell? She was a s#!tshow. Crying on TV and the news covered it because it was Disney...

Attachments

• han toy.jpg
    han toy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 149
I don't think they should. You can wear Harry Potter costumes at Universal can you not?

And each place is allowed to determined what rules they want to have in order to protect themselves and their guests. Just because one park does it means it can work for another park as other factors may be involved.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back