Cosplay at Star Wars Disney?

mikid

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Percthere website, no costumes unless your under 14, any insight, was looking forward to dressing up when we go in July, but maybe not?.....

I think the approved costuming Legions (Rebel Legion and 501st Legion) have been invited to big events, but that's it.
I'd also think that Disney would have strict requirements on where and how you would appear then.

The issue is (especially in the case of people here) that fans would be wearing as good or better outfits than the employees. That, in general, probably isn't a concern. The concern is customers won't be able to tell who is and isn't an employee. You have to worry about the guy in the top notch costume getting hurt or groped (ask the Capt Jack employees) or pissing off other customers, etc.

It sounds like them being mean, but it's really safety and being able to tell who's an attendee and who's an employee.

The concern is customers won't be able to tell who is and isn't an employee. You have to worry about the guy in the top notch costume getting hurt or groped...

You are correct: The customers might not know who is an employee and who isn't. But I do not think Disney is so concerned about the "guy (or girl) in the top notch costume getting hurt or groped" as much as the "guy or girl in the top notch hurting or groping someone". Disney is not about to take blame for sexual assault by a non employee.

Imagine a beautiful teen age girl is going to get a hug from someone, who she thinks is a Disney employee, and he hugs her and gropes on her, she freaks out and before you know it he disappears. Her family turns around and sues Disney as they and other bystanders claim it was a Disney employee in character, and Disney cannot dispute it as they have no proof that it wasn't. The court will have to take into account that Disney is just saying "It wasn't our employee" yet the person suing has a list of people willing to testify that they witnessed the employee do it.

It can cause so many unwanted issues that Disney just had to make a policy that nobody over a certain age can dress in costume.

Having trooped the Star Wars Weekends parades multiple years as 501st at MGM/Hollywood Studios when they were still happening and also wearing both my Snowtrooper costume and my deadmau5 during Not So Scary, it's really a combination of things. As mentioned above, I feel it really comes down to liability concerns.

When I was able to wear my Snowtrooper in the park AFTER the SWWs parade that day, we were given express permission from a disney exec that day. The only rule was we couldn't wear our helmets as we walked around, but were allowed to for photos- and to not "make a line of people." So essentially, picture and go. Most employees didn't mind it, some liked it, but it was usually only an issue with upper management who didn't get the memo.

My deadmau5 didn't cause an issue either (and I wore the head quite literally the whole time in Magic Kingdom) and got a lot of praise from the employees. Of course, as I mentioned above, is I got a nasty word from a disney exec while waiting for the parade in front of the castle. Ultimately, I wasn't breaking any of their rules (at the time adults were allowed to wear masks) so she backed off, but not without giving me grief- literally the ONLY one to do so.

So, they changed their policies. I don't know if it still is allowed, but they don't mind if you wear a soft costume that doesn't obstruct your face, but even that could have changed.

Honestly, especially for it applying to Not So Scary Halloween party, I feel it's a rather stupid policy, but that's my opinion. You're all forced to go through security. I can understand disallowing giant or obstructive costumes that can impact people negatively, but simple costumes should be allowed, regardless of age.

Honestly, especially for it applying to Not So Scary Halloween party, I feel it's a rather stupid policy, but that's my opinion. You're all forced to go through security. I can understand disallowing giant or obstructive costumes that can impact people negatively, but simple costumes should be allowed, regardless of age.
They had to start doing that, for reasons outlined above... but also for the safety issues. First, some masks can obstruct views and cause accidents. People may trip, or push someone down and trample them. Secondly, we have entered into an era where people do stupid things, and while security checks can eliminate guns and stuff, people can still do bad things.... like theft, or molestation, etc. So they need to make sure there is no anonymity. They have cameras everywhere at Disney, but that will do no good if the person's face is covered on video. Plus, what better way for a sexual predator to get close to little kids, as dressing as a popular character, with a mask to hide their identity? The choice may sound stupid, but we are in new times... movie theaters banning helmets and fake weapons and Disney stopping people from wearing masks. I cannot blame them and I sure wouldn't call it stupid.

They had to start doing that, for reasons outlined above... but also for the safety issues. First, some masks can obstruct views and cause accidents. People may trip, or push someone down and trample them. Secondly, we have entered into an era where people do stupid things, and while security checks can eliminate guns and stuff, people can still do bad things.... like theft, or molestation, etc. So they need to make sure there is no anonymity. They have cameras everywhere at Disney, but that will do no good if the person's face is covered on video. Plus, what better way for a sexual predator to get close to little kids, as dressing as a popular character, with a mask to hide their identity? The choice may sound stupid, but we are in new times... movie theaters banning helmets and fake weapons and Disney stopping people from wearing masks. I cannot blame them and I sure wouldn't call it stupid.

All of the things you've mentioned aren't new to the world, it's not new with humanity now and will likely never change unless we all die from a zombie apocalypse. I don't like it anymore than the next normal and sane individual, and they're everywhere, even park employees: 35 Disney Employees Arrested On Child Sex Charges In Less Than 10 Years | HuffPost

Pretty sure you'll still be able to wear a costume (no mask, weapons, etc) to a Halloween event or a Star Wars Nite/Galactic Nights event at Disney which would include Galaxy's Edge.

I'm counting on it.

Pretty sure you'll still be able to wear a costume (no mask, weapons, etc) to a Halloween event or a Star Wars Nite/Galactic Nights event at Disney which would include Galaxy's Edge.

I'm counting on it.

Looking it up again, they have a part that says the rules can change for special events, however, when we were looking at going last year to Not So Scary, the rules were essentially unchanged at the time.

Disney is planning on building a SW themed hotel at Disney World where your whole family will be given costumes to make it a totally immersive experience. That certainly goes against their usual policy.

TazMan2000

Disney is planning on building a SW themed hotel at Disney World where your whole family will be given costumes to make it a totally immersive experience. That certainly goes against their usual policy.

TazMan2000
I’ve not seen any rules that apply to anything outside of the theme park. Which costume policy for hotels are you speaking of?

I’ve not seen any rules that apply to anything outside of the theme park. Which costume policy for hotels are you speaking of?

I think the assumption is that, presumably, if you're staying at the immersive SW hotel and they give you a costume to wear they would not make you remove that costume to enter Galaxy's Edge.

They don't outright say it, but infer that the immersive experience will allow costumed guests staying at the hotel access to Galaxy's Edge while still costumed. There may be rules for leaving the area and going into the Hollywood studios area. I'm assuming that Disney doesn't want the guests to be confused with cast members, so the costumes will probably be simple, and probably ridiculous, akin to a SW costume you can pick up at a bargain store or some kind of vest and hat with ears. Nothing that a regular guest would want to pose with.

Star Wars Hotel - Wikipedia

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back