Cosplay at Star Wars Disney?

There's the No Mask rule which eliminates all masks and helmets. "Soft costumes" however, are still allowed, see the link above. They aren't direct screen accurate costumes, but they don't need to be for the "in universe" look and feel.

My daughter leaves for Disney in the morning, I'll ask her to keep and eye open for guests in costume. She's going to Florida, where the SWGE isn't open yet, but there's enough SW theme stuff still there.

I personally don't see a problem with emulating a favorite character, as long as it doesn't violate the rules. No masks, no blasters or other weapons, no hard armor pieces. The exception is for SW weekends, where guests can dress up.

This is just based on reading the rules and watching a YouTube video about the things you can't do at Disney.

Just to add to some of the reasoning already stated. Another element is that Disney is very protective of their IP, especially when it might be construed as being real. Part of that is liability, or in other circumstances the money that might be involved, but it's also reputation. Think of those crummy costumed people in Times Square or Hollywood who try to make money off the tourists. Sure, probably not an issue with people trying to make money in Disney World, but if they are mistaken as cast members, it can really mess with their work of trying to make everything a high-quality, consistent experience when you have janky-looking princesses strolling through the park. You train hundreds of women to play princesses and teach them how to act, and talk, and answer weird questions, and then some random woman shows up dressed as Snow White and she's completely off-script or in-and-out of character, or acting inappropriately, and all the while guests think she's a park princess, representing Disney. It would undermine all their work.

But there are lots of other security concerns in addition to sex offenders. I just saw a YouTube video where some guys tried to get into restricted or paid-access businesses by wearing reflective work vests and carrying clipboards and walkies. They had a bit of trouble some places but were able to gain access to a zoo and a theme park. So, in addition to not paying to get in, they also weren't screened by anyone either. They just toured the park, but they could have tried to get into employee-only areas potentially. Someone wearing a very good costume could easily be mistaken as an employee by not just guests but also other employees. Probably manageable for special events, but an everyday occurrence? Huge hassle and potential problems abound.

Just to add to some of the reasoning already stated. Another element is that Disney is very protective of their IP, especially when it might be construed as being real. Part of that is liability, or in other circumstances the money that might be involved, but it's also reputation. Think of those crummy costumed people in Times Square or Hollywood who try to make money off the tourists. Sure, probably not an issue with people trying to make money in Disney World, but if they are mistaken as cast members, it can really mess with their work of trying to make everything a high-quality, consistent experience when you have janky-looking princesses strolling through the park. You train hundreds of women to play princesses and teach them how to act, and talk, and answer weird questions, and then some random woman shows up dressed as Snow White and she's completely off-script or in-and-out of character, or acting inappropriately, and all the while guests think she's a park princess, representing Disney. It would undermine all their work.

But there are lots of other security concerns in addition to sex offenders. I just saw a YouTube video where some guys tried to get into restricted or paid-access businesses by wearing reflective work vests and carrying clipboards and walkies. They had a bit of trouble some places but were able to gain access to a zoo and a theme park. So, in addition to not paying to get in, they also weren't screened by anyone either. They just toured the park, but they could have tried to get into employee-only areas potentially. Someone wearing a very good costume could easily be mistaken as an employee by not just guests but also other employees. Probably manageable for special events, but an everyday occurrence? Huge hassle and potential problems abound.

Exactly!

I read a story quite a while ago where a lady says she was groped by Winnie the Pooh, which was actually a cast member. This went to court and the defendant was asked to dress up in costume. He came in, did a small dance (in character) and then showed the judge his puffy hands . The judge immediately threw out the case. Disney is always defending itself from fraudulent claims, so having costumed adult guests being indistinguishable from cast would be a serious concern. I'm surprised they allow it at all, even on special occasions.

TazMan2000

I didn’t think this was new news. Way, way before Disney bought Star Wars I remember reading articles and watching a few videos about adults who dressed up in accurate Disney costumes (like Snow White or Aladdin) being turned away at the door and asked to return in street clothes (for all the reasons already listed).

It’s their sandbox and they make the rules. No adults in costumes. I’ve seen some videos about those Disney inspired outfits (read: not a costume) and that’s really the best way to go.

I didn’t think this was new news. Way, way before Disney bought Star Wars I remember reading articles and watching a few videos about adults who dressed up in accurate Disney costumes (like Snow White or Aladdin) being turned away at the door and asked to return in street clothes (for all the reasons already listed).

It’s their sandbox and they make the rules. No adults in costumes. I’ve seen some videos about those Disney inspired outfits (read: not a costume) and that’s really the best way to go.

I agree. Mostly I posted it because if you read other posts, some were assuming since the park was selling the costumes, those costumes would be allowed. I wanted to make sure they understood that would not be the case.

Not directed at your post, I missed this whole Thread until today. After reading the entire Thread, I was just surprised to hear that anyone thought they could wear a SW costume to the park (outside of special events).

I know I read the rules about 3 weeks ago for Disneyland and the rule was no masks over 14. Now, it is no costumes above 14. And yet, they were implying that they would be selling costumes to families in Galaxy's Edge... this prompted me to put together a Solo costume.

As to the no guns or even toy guns... I totally get that. No helmets... I understand as well. Those are easy standards. If I wear a solo shirt and a vest and pants with Correlian blood stripes and boots, does that constitute a costume? What about a holster belt without the holster? It will be a highly subjective standard base on who is checking the door.

The Euro park always gets someone trying to go in as a Smurf, I bet there would be quite a few wanting to get into the Edge as Kirk as well.

I know I read the rules about 3 weeks ago for Disneyland and the rule was no masks over 14. Now, it is no costumes above 14. And yet, they were implying that they would be selling costumes to families in Galaxy's Edge... this prompted me to put together a Solo costume.

As to the no guns or even toy guns... I totally get that. No helmets... I understand as well. Those are easy standards. If I wear a solo shirt and a vest and pants with Correlian blood stripes and boots, does that constitute a costume? What about a holster belt without the holster? It will be a highly subjective standard base on who is checking the door.

If you go back to the start of this thread, you can see the no costume rule for over 14 has always been in place. Not sure what you were reading. You might have been reading the special event rules like for the Halloween nights where adults can wear costumes but no helmets or masks.

I’d say your probably not going to be able to wear a whole or partial holster rig. You might be able to get by with solo shirt, pants, and vest but If you wear boots, it might really make it stand out as a costume. That’s IMHO.

Last edited:
Yeah, it might have been special event rules. I swear I looked it up several weeks ago because I wanted to be sure. Maybe I navigated to the wrong place.

Why not just give the employees badges or tags or something then?

Why not just give the employees badges or tags or something then?
The cast members all wear name tags. They've done so for years. Its for safety, snd legal reasons.

Kids can wear full on costumes in Disney my nieces went in Disney store Rey constumes but before Galaxy's Edge opened. The kylo and troopers would single them out and have fun with them ... i don't know about adults tho.

I'm not sure why people would want to cosplay at Galaxy's edge. We are not the attraction the park is. I'd rather worry about the park that I would be willing to pay a lot to get in then my own costume possibly getting stolen or damaged.

The cast members all wear name tags. They've done so for years. Its for safety, snd legal reasons.

Kids can wear full on costumes in Disney my nieces went in Disney store Rey constumes but before Galaxy's Edge opened. The kylo and troopers would single them out and have fun with them ... i don't know about adults tho.

Then the issue of mistaking someone for an employee is fixed.

The cast members in character costumes are in not wearing badges. They are not going to have a trooper walk around with a badge that says "Tom".

I'll repeat what has been said here already. The Park does not want anyone mistaken on their property for as an authorized employee who is not. There are several reasons for it from just inappropriate to down right illegal and/or unsafe. Disney is not doing this for the sake of pissing you off. They are trying to protect themselves and they should.

I'm not sure why people would want to cosplay at Galaxy's edge. We are not the attraction the park is. I'd rather worry about the park that I would be willing to pay a lot to get in then my own costume possibly getting stolen or damaged.

The only thing I can think of that would be interesting is for photos. I could see it might be cool if you had a Han Solo costume and you got a picture in front of the falcon or inside the replica set designs of the ride. Thins like that. And I think there are just people who like any opportunity to wear a costume.

I'm like you. Especially as someone who frequents WDW and most visits are hot. I just want to be comfortable and carry the bare minimum when I am in the parks.

The only thing I can think of that would be interesting is for photos. I could see it might be cool if you had a Han Solo costume and you got a picture in front of the falcon or inside the replica set designs of the ride. Thins like that. And I think there are just people who like any opportunity to wear a costume.

I'm like you. Especially as someone who frequents WDW and most visits are hot. I just want to be comfortable and carry the bare minimum when I am in the parks.

Funny part is my comment comes from a cosplayer who would make any event or gathering costume related somehow!

I wonder if they can circumvent that rule, by having one of those dress up booths you see at carnivals where you can get a sepia picture of you and your family and friends dressed up in old west clothing, except in SW clothing. They would be supervised at all times and can have a corndoned off area alongside the MF for pictures during parts of the day. Either that, or have them stand in front of a green screen and almost any scene can be loaded behind them. This should satisfy everyone, and still keep the park safe while covering Disney's butt.

TazMan2000

Well, no, because a badge is easy to create, and with a good costume ... its a lawsuit waiting to happen. It's always 1 bad apple the spoils it for others.

I believe i just saw an article that said you arent allowed to wear the jedi robes you can buy at the store on the premises.. but im not 100% sure, and i cant find the article...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back