Corvo Attano's Mask (work in Progress) - From Dishonored

Adriaux

A while back, my roommate informed me that Bethesda was making a sequel to Dishonored. Having recently discovered Tested, and replaying the game, I was inspired to go off and make the assassin's mask. I started by looking at reference photos and finding my way here for ideas of what means and materials would be best to make it with. Shortly after coming to this website I found Jimskio's process for making the mask and decided to follow a similar process, but I've decided to make it a bit differently.

Jimskio's mask: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=192975&highlight=Corvo+Mask

Instead of making a Super Sculpie mask into a mold, and making a cast from that, I plan on just wiring together and painting all the Super Sculpie pieces. There have been a few problems with this, primarily that the thinner areas (jaws and areas around the eye socket) have broken a time or two and in hindsight I should have painted the pieces before wiring them together, and if you are looking to make your own mask, I'd recommend doing the mold and cast.

Anyway, this is the picture I've been primarily using and my progress so far.

latest?cb=20121120051320.png

WIN_20161010_00_02_09_Pro.jpgWIN_20161010_00_02_38_Pro.jpg

I still have a few more wires to glue, which I've been doing by bending the wire the way I want it, then turning the ends at 90 degree angles and gluing them into holes drilled into the two pieces. The wires I found are some type of landscaping staple that I found in a mystery box in the garage. They're pretty stiff so it would probably have been easier to use something else but the slightly rusted condition I found them in adds a nice aesthetic.

For the eyepieces I thought I might get either some cheapo telescope or microscope eyepieces and replacing the lens with a bit of glass or plastic so I might get a bit of visibility out of it, but I'm saving that for after its painted.

Please let me know if you have any questions about, or ideas to improve my project! I'll try to keep my progress posted.

P.S. The two wire's glued to the back are there to hopefully prevent the eye sockets from breaking again. (the other sides' eyes are sculpted a bit thicker so they don't have this issue)

Attachments

• WIN_20161010_00_02_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161010_00_02_09_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 351
  • WIN_20161010_00_02_38_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161010_00_02_38_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 281
I've spent about an hour and a half with the spray paint and Rub n' Buff tonight and painted the mask. I've also put in the small wires that appear to hold a larger wire in place on one side of the forehead. I used a matte black spray paint and ebony Rub n' Buff to try to hinder any glossy appearance.
WIN_20161014_00_05_32_Pro.jpgThis is the mask after spray painting but before Rub n' Buffing.

WIN_20161014_00_30_59_Pro.jpgThe small wires are bundles of 4 thin wires wound together and inserted into small holes either side of the large wire and twisted together behind the mask.

WIN_20161014_00_58_48_Pro.jpgThis is the same half of the mask as the previous picture, only after applying Rub n' Buff. The Rub n' Buff, when applied on the heavier side of things, dampers the inherent gloss of the spray paint, covers up any fingerprints leftover from sculpting, and gives a nice uneven aesthetic.

WIN_20161014_00_58_38_Pro.jpg This is the assassin's mask as it is now. Next I need to find and fit the eye pieces, and begin working on a hood which the mask can be attached to. I also need to make the decorative circular piece near the top of the head. There is one more jaw wire that I'm leaving out until the two halves are connected and fixed to the fabric hood, as its the wire that connects the area below the nose on one half to the end of the jaw on the other. Since these are two thin areas of the Super Sculpie, I'm going to use a more malleable wire to reduce the risk of another break.

Just before Halloween, I went ahead and connected the two halves of the mask and created a hood to attach it to. I used three strips of steel cut from an old computer case to connect the face together (second most frustrating thing I've done in my life). Then, with some help, I made a simple hood witch an adjustable button from an old hat and covered the front side of the hood with a layer of black burlap material and cut holes in the first fabric so I can see through the burlap. Using some superglue to hold the mask temporarily in place on the burlap, I then tied some of the jaw wires and the steel connecting strips to the fabric hood to hold the mask on more securely.
WIN_20161024_00_50_11_Pro.jpgThe steel strips glued to each side of the back of each side.

WIN_20161028_15_45_05_Pro.jpgPinning folds into the hood to fit it into the proper shape.

WIN_20161028_16_35_10_Pro.jpgAdjustable button sewn to the back of the hood. The top of the hood is sewn together in a similar way.

WIN_20161028_16_35_21_Pro.jpg Eyes cut into the first layer of the hood. I later made them into a slot for better peripheral vision.

WIN_20161028_20_50_24_Pro.jpgBurlap layer with folds sewn into it in the same way as the hood to fit it to shape and sewn to the hood with the mask glued and tied on.

I've also made the final wire connection from the lower jaw on one side to the upper jaw on the other. This was done after the two sides were connected by the steel strips to prevent any breaking of the two thin areas the wire joins to.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back