Corvette Summer Stingray: My ultimate screen used prop

the Pawn

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I first saw Corvette Summer when I was 10 years old on HBO in 1979. That Stingray would leave a lasting impression on me over the next 30 years. The movie was a modest success for Mark Hamill who had just starred in a little known movie called Star Wars.

There were two prop cars made for the movie by Korky Kustoms out of California. Korky retained owenership of both cars after production wrapped and put them on the touring circuit for the remainder of the 1970's. I remember seeing an ad advertising the Stingrays for sale in the back of a Hot Rod magazine in the early 1980's.

One of the Stingrays was sold to an Australian collector, but that car was totaled in a transport accident in Australia where it ended up at the bottom of a river. The car was eventually salvaged and somewhat restored to resemble the movie car, but the only original parts remaining on the car were the doors.

The second car was sold to a Corvette museum in the early 1980s. The museum went out of business and the car was sold along with the vette from Death Race 2000 to Mike Yager at MidAmerica in Illinois in the early 1990's.

I was in the process of making a replica of the car, when Mike put the original car up for sale in early 2009. After Mike and I came to terms on the Stingray, I left it on display in his collection until this past fall when I finally brought it home.

Here are a few pics of my Corvette Summer Stingray: My ultimate on screen used prop! Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. I loved that car when I saw the film. Over the top 70's goodness!

-Rylo

Wow, interesting on how the incorporated the head lights on that thing. Interesting story on the other car as I didnt know that. What size engine is in that thing, 350?

OMG~!~ Dude, I wanted this car more than anything when I was a kid - actually this car and the Mach 5 were the only two vehicles (not counting Wonderbug and The Car" that actually made me peek into hot rod magazines when I was a kid. I've never understood why there has never been a model kit , hot wheel or ertle die cast produced for this baby.
Funny, I also saw the ad in Hot Rod advertising the car for sale. Congrats on the purchase - so good to know she's in safe hands.

You do realize Danny Bonaduce has driven you car?!?! lol

you have no idea what this car meant to me as a kid i spend hundreds of hours drawing this car over many years. out of all the movie cars this is my favorite. thank you for sharing this....man it brings back memories

The Stingray is converted to right-hand drive for the movie. The engine is a 350. It has a nice sound to it. MidAmerica has a soundbite of the engine sound on its website. Pretty cool.

It is difficult to see over the hood scoop. I do not drive the Stingray on the street as its now one of a kind. If Philip can get Mark Hamill to one of the comic-cons, I will put it on display.

love the movie, but i think ive got to be the one to say i never liked the look of the car :/ it might have something to do with the fact that it always bugged the crap out of me how on all the dvd backs (maybe even in the movie? i cant remember) would somehow say how he took it and restored it to original condition or something like that, where its obviously no where near original xD

that's a pretty cool prop to have in your collection though!

I do not drive the Stingray on the street as its now one of a kind.
You’ve never driven it once, even just up and down your street, just to see what it feels like? I get not making a daily-driver out of it, but man if I owned that I’d have to fire it up and at the very least, go up and down my driveway slowly with it.
I too saw the movie at about the same age you were. I was NOT into cars all that much as a kid but something about the story really gripped me, a kid setting off on his own to get the car back with no backup from anyone else. What boy wouldn’t think that was cool?
It’s so neat that not only does this car still exist today in apparently great condition, but also that it’s in the hands of a collector and not a big museum. I’m so happy for you!

The Stingray is converted to right-hand drive for the movie. The engine is a 350. It has a nice sound to it. MidAmerica has a soundbite of the engine sound on its website. Pretty cool.

It is difficult to see over the hood scoop. I do not drive the Stingray on the street as its now one of a kind. If Philip can get Mark Hamill to one of the comic-cons, I will put it on display.

drive it and enjoy it, dont let it be a trailer queen

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back