Copic Markers

ravenclawgrl

I didn't really know what topic to put this under so I chose this one. I have recently been looking at getting Copic markers but am a little overwhelmed. I have narrowed it down to either Ciao or Sketch. I know that the Ciao ones are basically the same as the sketch but cheaper, differently shaped, smaller, and less colors. What I want to know is which ones should I start my Copic collection with?

i would say to go to you local craft/hobby store and buy a single black marker in each kind. it will cost you less then 10 bucks and let you get a feel for which ones you want to invest in

The quality is generally the same between the different types so in the end your decision needs to be based on how you are going to use it and what volume of ink will you need.

Your technique will determine if you use a brush point, a pointed tip or the chiselled tip - all of them have merit but you need to try and see what works for you but I suspect that you will use them all depending on what you're doing..

The volume of ink you require will be determined by the size of your artwork and also the kind of paper you work on because some surfaces can be very absorbent which logically uses more ink.

The cheaper markers have less ink so bear that in mind when you make your decision because you might find that the more expensive models are ultimately more cost effective in the long run. Remember too that Art stores also offer refill ink containers that you can use to recharge your marker.

Good luck

Regards
MARK

The CIAO are great the skin tone set is worth the price,the brush tip especially,graffiti markers are a good choice too (posca,montana etc..).not so keen on pro markers they dry out very quickly..

I didn't really know what topic to put this under so I chose this one. I have recently been looking at getting Copic markers but am a little overwhelmed. I have narrowed it down to either Ciao or Sketch. I know that the Ciao ones are basically the same as the sketch but cheaper, differently shaped, smaller, and less colors. What I want to know is which ones should I start my Copic collection with?

They are both generally the same, if you are going to buy all the colors go for Sketch as Ciao only comes in 180 colors whereas Sketch comes in all colors available.

Also, will you be using it to illustrate? If you are, you also have to consider the type of paper you will be using. The best type of brand is Clairefontaine or manga illustration paper imo but techniques does play a role in getting results.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back