Constructing VERA : completed

Re: Constructing VERA : UPDATE JAN 9!!!!

sweet build so far, the machined pieces came out INCREDIBLE!!! Looks like they fit like a glove

So, yesterday Alice was complete.

SNIP
Much too heavy to carry around or even just comfortable hold and admire.

For that reason, I've decided to construct a new magazine frame out of polystyrene and add the thin metal strips and base "foot" to it. It maybe less realistic, but it will be barely noticeable when holding her and it will also make a HUGE difference.

Hey Joe:

Have you considered just giving the mag pieces back to the machinist and have him poke a series of lightening holes in the solid parts?
(Holes run through the inside to hollow material out that you couldn't see the entry points.)
A LOT less work and still sturdy compared to plastic sheet.

It looks like a good bit could come out of the "magazine well" and if the strip that runs up beside the "magazine-ammo-checking-viewing-window" is actually solid, a drill could be run through there, as well.
But this would be shop work cuz I don't mean a 5/16th (8mm) drill; I'm thinking like a 3/4 to 1 inch drill (19mm to 25mm).

"Alice" is just such an ultimate project, it seems a shame to "cheapen" her.
If you were planning to costume as Jayne and carry her a lot, I'd understand. But after you finish her, and the buzz wears off, you'll probably only handle her one or two dozen times a year.

Alice will sit or hang there, making you grin every time you look at her, but you probably won't play with her a lot.

Mike

I actually had the "drilling out the magazine" discussion with the machinist when I picked up the parts last week and he said it would not be a problem.

However, even drilling it out might not be enough. She really weighs a TON. The magwell is as thin as can be... nothing to lose there. I'm actually already done building the magazine in styrene and it came out very sturdy... saved well over a kilo in weight even though I put in a lot of support struts. The mag still has an aluminum base and three side plates on each side and seein' that lots of modern weapons use plastic components nowadays I doubt it will feel cheap. (Though if it does, I'll still have the metal mag should I change my mind.)

Another weighty piece is actually the AK receiver. Thinking back it might have been a better idea to build it around a scrapped airsoft frame. The cheap Denix metal also weighs a ton...

Hey Joe:

Have you considered just giving the mag pieces back to the machinist and have him poke a series of lightening holes in the solid parts?
(Holes run through the inside to hollow material out that you couldn't see the entry points.)
A LOT less work and still sturdy compared to plastic sheet.

It looks like a good bit could come out of the "magazine well" and if the strip that runs up beside the "magazine-ammo-checking-viewing-window" is actually solid, a drill could be run through there, as well.
But this would be shop work cuz I don't mean a 5/16th (8mm) drill; I'm thinking like a 3/4 to 1 inch drill (19mm to 25mm).

"Alice" is just such an ultimate project, it seems a shame to "cheapen" her.
If you were planning to costume as Jayne and carry her a lot, I'd understand. But after you finish her, and the buzz wears off, you'll probably only handle her one or two dozen times a year.

Alice will sit or hang there, making you grin every time you look at her, but you probably won't play with her a lot.

Mike

I actually had the "drilling out the magazine" discussion with the machinist when I picked up the parts last week and he said it would not be a problem.

However, even drilling it out might not be enough. She really weighs a TON. I'm actually already done building the magazine in styrene and it came out very sturdy... saved well over a kilo in weight even though I put in a lot of support struts.

I'm glad your solution works.
Alice is such an awesome project, I'z juz tryin' ta help.

The magwell is as thin as can be... nothing to lose there.

My mistake, I thought it was solid.

Another weighty piece is actually the AK receiver. Thinking back it might have been a better idea to build it around a scrapped airsoft frame. The cheap Denix metal also weighs a ton...

You can do that on your next one.
What was the name of the other waitress at Mel's Diner?

Mike

I'm glad your solution works.
Alice is such an awesome project, I'z juz tryin' ta help.

My mistake, I thought it was solid.

You can do that on your next one.
What was the name of the other waitress at Mel's Diner?

Mike

I know you were Mike and I appreciate it! :thumbsup

The magwell is two thin walls held together by a strip of aluminum that meets the forward handguard. (You can see raw pics of it on the site.) It had to be hollow to allow the magazine to be inserted. Would have been neat to do a removable mag, especially now that it's much lighter, but I don't think it'll happen.

ANOTHER ONE??? That would be "FLO" then! BUt seriously... umm... NO FREAKIN' WAY would Ihave the patience to wait for another set of parts.

But on that note... I'm kinda giving up on casting her in resin myself. The startup cost would be much too high a risk since I can't guarantee success. I will however give a couple of local plastics companies a call and see if they can help, though I imagine the cost would be very high per copy.

Here's an updated pic (not on the site yet). Basically all that is left to do is mount the magazine and put in place all the little black set screws. Then I just have to arrange a set of grips somehow, though I might wait and dremel them myself on the balcony in the spring. So far I am pretty happy with the colors. They're not too far off the real anodized parts. The lilac handguard/barrel grip came out especially nice considering it was a bit tricky to blend. What you see in the photo weighs about 3.9 kilos.

But what really surprised me when I first picked her up was how incredibly big she is! You never really notice that when Jayne is carrying her, being the huge lug that he is.

alice_assembly1.jpg

I broke out "Firefly, The Official Companion Vol.II".
According to the write-up on page 111,
the original Vera weighs in at a hefty 12.69 KG (28 pounds).
The book doesn't say whether or not that includes a loaded mag of twelve 12ga shells.
So Alice coming in at 6 KG seems positively featherweight compared to Vera!

And really, 6 KG (13 1/4 LBS) isn't bad for a semi-auto 12ga shotgun.
Most pistol caliber submachine guns of the WWII era weighed about 10LBS.

I'd also like to pass along that the grips are "phenolic-impregnated laminated wood".
I bet a couple of pieces of 3/8", oak sheathed plywood would work pretty well to replicate the grips on Vera.

Good Luck,
Mike

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back