Constantine: Lighter Project *UPDATE 04-09-2009 - Pics of brass parts are up*

Hey Tim,

Is that your hand I recognize in the photos of the latest Constantine Zippo eBay auction? The one with the healthy Buy-It-Now price?

I don't blame you. :D

Marc,
We could help you with this----

<div class='quotetop'>(LeMarchand @ Sep 12 2005, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1075631[/snapback]</div>
Hi Folks

Back from my holiday and got straight back to work. Hinges are being taken care of as well as the screws, which i hope are the right ones. I have no doubts the machining will be no problem, but the etching, my, oh my.......

I have written emails to about 6 engravers/etchers over here and all say they can't do it. Still waiting to hear back from another etcher, who is supposed to do difficult stuff, hope they can help me out.

I'll keep you all posted.

cheers,

Marc
[/b]

I think the idealiezed version idea is fine except for the lettering. I think the letters in the cross should be more liek the original. That's not from wear, it looks like that's how it was made. The scratches and such you can keep out, but I think the letters should be as close to the original as possible. You may want to thicken some of them up too. A few are much too thin.

YES. great to hear about the progress, man I'm SOOO looking forward to this

And yeah the idealized sounds like the better way to go

In the limited sparetime i have at the moment (i am moving to another country in a month) i am trying to merge my blueprint with the .AI illustrator floral tracings to make one machinable file, but it is giving me headaches, so i have asked someone for help on this.

Cheers,

MArc

Only just recently watched this movie and now I stumpled onto this topic. All I can say is WOW... that's one awesome project. Will be sure to keep a track of this topic in the future, as I'm very interested in the Constantine Lighter.

Keep up the good work, all of you. :thumbsup

He peeps :)

Right now i am stressed off my t*ts and up to my nose in packing paper and moving boxes for the international moves to the UK.

I have decided that for the lighter, i am going to try a different approach.

The master is going to be milled resin, the coins are going to be milled out of resin also. the engravings will be done on magnesium sheet. This will be build up into a master and send to a foundry for lost wax brass casting. I know a very good foundry in the UK who can do it. I will have the coins cast as well and these will be goldplated.

When i get the stuff back from the foundry, i can clean up the parts, assemble the lighters and presto.

I don't know for sure when i can start the ball rolling. Having the master made and do the cating is going to take a couple of thousand dollars to have done. And since i don't like taking money upfront for a not yet finished new product i need to get the funds first myself.

I am epecting a large sum of money in the coming months, so as soon as that is in, we are good to go.

Sorry for the long time it is taking, but since Mike and Me have already invested some serious money and time in this, we want to do this right.

Marc

Cool. Thanks for the update on the new approach. Any chance of getting an estimate on what these lighters will be sold for when they are finished? I need to see if I'll be able to afford one of these beauties. You can send it by pm if you don't want to post it here now.

Keep up the great work. .)

Let me know if I can help (with Illustrator files or something)
I wanna be part of this project (if it is still possible ;) )

thanks for the offer, but all the work is done (blueprint and illustrator files) and the waiting is just for the money to finance the production phase. I have someone who can do the magnesium engraving and the resin milling

Once i have the money i can pay for the magnesium engraving and the resin milled body and coins, build a master to make wax casts and then commission the foundry to cast the parts.

When the parts are in, i can clean them up, send the coins for plating, assemble the lighters and attach the coins.

Marc

man alive. I am gonna go nuts with aniticipation for this bad boy. So amchining isnt the way to go huh? Well let us know when you are good to go with this and we will be here.

Marc, why not have it machined out of wax to begin with -- you could even have the engraving done on wax instead of magnesium.

Because the wax will be vurnerable and etching magnesium will give sharper lines.

I talked to the project to a good friend who has experience with magnesium engraving and resin milling, and he said this would give a very good result.

Cheers,

Marc

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back