Comlink and Holocom builds from Star Wars Resistance and Rebels

Re: Commlink from Star Wars Rebels

Ok, got my shapeways parts in! I printed the end pieces in the "polished metallic plastic" just to give it a try. It's interesting. By no means is it a convincing metal appearance, but it does give the parts a surprising amount of heft.

Here's what the raw Shapeways print looks like:

The tolerances being geared towards FDM printing along with the polishing process mean while the fit is good, the mic and endcap don't friction fit onto the grip ends as I hoped. That will improve with filler primer and paint, and if they still don't friction fit on after that, break out the glue :)

Here's a link to get them on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pugasus

You're looking at about $25 shipped with polished white strong and flexible for the ends and black strong and flexible for the grip. Or if you go with the metallic plastic ends for extra weight, it's about $30 shipped (or since the grip is hollow, get the cheap plastic and add your own weight).

Please let me know if something doesn't work... First time I've put anything on Shapeways. BTW if anyone does order parts from them, PM me and I'll mail you a little piece of mesh to use in the mic tip. There's just enough markup in the parts to cover a stamp :)

Since the handle is hollow it would be good to add a bit of metal or a rare earth magnet inside, that would then allow you to attach it your belt (which would also has a magnet or piece of metal) seamlessly like they do in the show.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Updated!

The Rebels facebook page posted a great image featuring a closeup of this prop:

Interestingly, the one in the isometric view is a different model from the orthographic views - note one less grip ridge, and an added groove in the black part of the end piece. The isometric view is the model used in the show from what I can tell.

So, with this new information I updated my STL files. I used overall proportions from the orthographic views above and made the following additional changes to my original model: taper added to tail section below the grip, added extra groove to the tail section, changed the grip ridge shape, and added the square grid to the mic tip.

Updated files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:491072

Two versions are provided for the mic tip, both with and without the grid as this detail can be difficult for some FDM printers. You can replicate this detail using some tiled sheet styrene or metal mesh.

The Resistance show introduced two new variations on this - a new comlink and a holocom. Both include flashlight and holoprojector functions! The comlink is standard issue for civilians and First Order forces and used throughout the show, while the holocom was used in inconsistently across four episodes by Poe, Kaz, Synara, and Neeku.

The new comlink is very similar to the Rebels comlink but with different proportions and an added gold/brass control ring at the small end:
the-escape-part-1-concept-art-gallery-01_48906f0e.jpeg

The holocom is larger and was designed with both a holoprojector and flashlight in the small end. The holoprojector only was seen on that end one time, likely because the smaller comlink had already been established to have the holoprojector in the longer pointy silver end.

resistance-concept-art-gallery-6_b1172284.jpeg

Below are all the appearances I found. If I missed one let me know and I'll add it!

The standard comlink first shows up in S01e05:
S01e05.png

s01e05-2.png

And again in S01e06 where the holoprojector is first shown:
s01e06.png

The holocom and its flashlight function were introduced in s01e07:
s01e07 flashlight.png

Synara uses the standard comlink in the same episode for holographic calls:
s01e07 holocom.png

In the next episode (8) Synara uses the holocom small end for a holographic call (the only time I found that the prop is used as designed) and then later in the episode she has the standard comlink again:
S01e08 holocom.png

The holocom appears in S01e15 with the holoprojector in the long tip:
S01e15.png

The final appearance of the holocom is in the season 2 premiere where it is used as a flashlight in the hilarious "Alien" inspired sequences:
s02e01.png

Tam's standard comlink becomes a key prop throughout the rest of the show. Here it is in S02e02:
s02e02 comlink handoff.png

s02e02 comlink in hand.png

S02e02.png

S02e07 plays fast and loose with the functionality of the standard comlink as well as scene continuity with the flashlight changing from one end to the other sometimes within the same scene:
s02e07.png

S02e16:
s02e16.png

S02e17:
s02e17.png

S02e18 the comlink gains a port in the small end which is used to interface with a mouse droid:
s02e18.png

I designed printable versions of both props from Resistance. Pics and info below, and files/assembly notes are here: www.thingiverse.com/thing:4595139

I scaled them based on the concept art's hand scale reference. That gave me an outer diameter of 1.125" at the grip. This is a bit larger than the Rebels comlink from earlier in this thread which was 1" outer diamter; if I were to do another of the Rebels version I would scale it up by a factor of 1.125.
IMG_E8206.JPG

IMG_8195.JPG

They're designed to be built as either static or with flashlight/holoprojector lights! The lights are activated by twisting the silver caps.

IMG_8184.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

Here's a line-up with other comlinks. Left to right:
-Comlink made from Reade cylinder and resin hovi tip
- guabe 's fantastic Mandalorian comlink
-My Rebels comlink from earlier in this thread. It looks a bit small and should be scaled up by 1.125x for it to have the same diameter as the Resistance versions
-Resistance comlink
-Resistance holocom

IMG_E8215.JPG

On the Mando comlink, Resistance holocom, and one of the two Resistance comlinks above I used Krylon Iron Ore for the silver portions. It has a tendency to bubble up which worked well for a pitted/corroded appearance on the Mando comlink. I wanted a smoother appearance on the Resistance props and so sanded the roughness away - this left a nice color variation that looked like galvanized steel / tarnish. I followed up with a silver paint marker to add more variation as well as a muddy paint wash.

(1/8-22 edited to fix typo)

Last edited:

Updated!

The Rebels facebook page posted a great image featuring a closeup of this prop:

Interestingly, the one in the isometric view is a different model from the orthographic views - note one less grip ridge, and an added groove in the black part of the end piece. The isometric view is the model used in the show from what I can tell.

So, with this new information I updated my STL files. I used overall proportions from the orthographic views above and made the following additional changes to my original model: taper added to tail section below the grip, added extra groove to the tail section, changed the grip ridge shape, and added the square grid to the mic tip.

17082327722_091654148e.jpg

16463672903_b2126b24d2.jpg

Updated files here: Comlink from Star Wars Rebels by mooslug

Two versions are provided for the mic tip, both with and without the grid as this detail can be difficult for some FDM printers. You can replicate this detail using some tiled sheet styrene or metal mesh.
I just built one yesterday.

Great file. Thank you.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back