Comic Style Captain America for 2015 Emerald City Comic Con (2nd build)

Nice Job Peek!
I know most people on here fashion after the movies but I am a hard core comics buff and I love to see someone tackle the true icons that made the movies possible. Wish I could see this in person when complete.

I'm a huge Comic Book nut! I started collecting in the late 80's and have been a Spidey Fan for as long as I can remember. I like to post a tone of pic's as I work so seeing it in it's completed state is no problem. In person, well only if you bring that Thing suit way over here to Washington for the Emerald City Comic Con, or maybe the big one in San Diego, I'm going to try to make it there this year. Thanks for the encouragement.

Just a note-you HAVE seen Valor's budget shield making post, have you not?

Yes I did see Valor's budget build, thank you. I didn't see it until I started digging and had other ideas. I had found a DIY video on you tube of a kid making one and started, then after reading I found VALOR...AHHHHHHHH, it was like the jack pot. That post, man one of the best of building your own.

I LOVE your gloves!! Did you sew them yourself? Would love to see some pics from the build process if you have them.

Wow Peek! Your costume is looking awesome - every piece looks spot-on! Can't wait to see the finished product at the con.

@ Iron Joe, yes I did, believe it or not only my second attempt at sewing. I have been attending classes on how to sew at Joe Ann Fabrics and I have to give credit to Marcy. She's awesome! Marcy is 83 and loves to teach sewing. My wife had wanted a sewing machine so I got her one a few years ago. It's been collecting dust in our closet so I figured why not give it a shot. Marcy has shown me many things and this was my 1st solo project. I took a new pair of gloves I got at the home depot and turned them inside out and made the pattern. Then it was just getting the deer skin leather, which is the easiest on a machine to work with and went from there. I used a Cherry Red Rit liquid dye to soak the deer skin I got from Hobby Lobby. Then I just used the pattern from the large pair of gloves that I took apart and added the extra to the end to make the gauntlets. I'll add some pics when I get home.

@ JuJuBean thank you very much. My wife has told me to enter the costume contest again this year at the ECC. Not sure if I want to, it takes up so much time at the CON but maybe. I'm excited to see your guys suits!

@ FUN4HEROES thank you sir, I'm enjoying this a lot. I really want to make the comic Cap come to life......

brackets.jpgSo the work on the brackets has begun. I found a 22 gage steel that I will be using. I was able to use some of VALORS templates, but I had to adjust them due to the size just not looking right to me. More than likely my mess up but so far so good. I will clear coat them when I am done so none of that NASTY RUST will ever show it's ugly face again. I am also painting the backside of the shield with a hammered metal that is just going to look AWESOME! NASTY RUST, HATE THAT STUFF!!!!
metal 22gage.JPGThis is just a shot of how thick it is, the metal I was using first was very thin and just wouldn't have held up. I've been cutting everything with my dremel.
sheild no flash.JPGShield flash.JPGShield completed.JPG
Pic one is my shield wet sanded, no clear coat with the flash on. Pic 2 is the same with no flash on. and Pic 3 is the shield with 6 clear coats buffed and polished! AHHHHHHHHHHH! I freaking love it!! I didn't think that it would come out this nice. All I have to do is finish the brackets on the back and it will be completed. I post the final pic's when I get it completely finished. I had to order the Captain Steven Rodgers badge for the inside center to put that final touch in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421640696.751123.jpg
I had to take this Pic! Just waiting on my Suit from Trophy Wife and then it will all be completed. Well still working on the brackets and handles for the shield. Should be finished this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421991932.667353.jpgSo I just finished with cutting and sanding my metal pieces for my brackets. I'm no metal worker but I thought I would share how I did it. My dremil has been my best friend on this project. I used small ceramic cutting wheels, went through about 22 of them, my table vice, a hand file, and needle nose pliers. As you can see I cut two initial cuts with my dremil
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992183.250166.jpg Next I cut two diagonal cuts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992264.467154.jpg
Then I used my needle nose players to break off the remaining metal pieces. I did score where I wanted the break to happen and I worked perfectly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992354.467146.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992364.817985.jpg
Then I finished it off with my hand file
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992395.000839.jpg
Now then you see what I have after sanding and attempting to make the spun look with a green scratch pad
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992460.033999.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421992473.567548.jpg
Now it's off to clear coat to keep it from rusting. I did notice that any moisture, even from my hands causes a discoloration in the metal. What do you think? I know it's not at professional as Valor's but I'm pretty proud of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Iron Joe, yes I did, believe it or not only my second attempt at sewing. I have been attending classes on how to sew at Joe Ann Fabrics and I have to give credit to Marcy. She's awesome! Marcy is 83 and loves to teach sewing. My wife had wanted a sewing machine so I got her one a few years ago. It's been collecting dust in our closet so I figured why not give it a shot. Marcy has shown me many things and this was my 1st solo project. I took a new pair of gloves I got at the home depot and turned them inside out and made the pattern. Then it was just getting the deer skin leather, which is the easiest on a machine to work with and went from there. I used a Cherry Red Rit liquid dye to soak the deer skin I got from Hobby Lobby. Then I just used the pattern from the large pair of gloves that I took apart and added the extra to the end to make the gauntlets. I'll add some pics when I get home.

@ JuJuBean thank you very much. My wife has told me to enter the costume contest again this year at the ECC. Not sure if I want to, it takes up so much time at the CON but maybe. I'm excited to see your guys suits!

@ FUN4HEROES thank you sir, I'm enjoying this a lot. I really want to make the comic Cap come to life......

Jo Ann fabrics does sewing classes? Do they provide the machines?

The mask you linked is great, thanks for sharing that one. Love the gloves.
You bet man, I found that mask on ebay for cheep and bought it just in case I screw mine up. Trophy Wife hooked me up with a spare to practice on with left over scrap from my suit.

brackets 1.jpgbracketscloseup.JPG
OK so still working on the shield brackets, AHHHHHH! I used a small block of wood and a small rubber hammer to recess where the screws are going that I JB Welded into place. They sit flush now and will bind to the back of the shield much better than on my test fit. I also learned that just putting a clear coat over the metal doesn't stick to well without primer so I had to strip the clear coat off and I am now using a metallic paint on them. It looks very nice I must say. I'll post more pic's tomorrow when I get them finished up. I did make relief cuts as you can see on the edges of my base brackets, this is also to help them set flush and doesn't require another piece, or loop as I have seen on other shields.

After talking to Trophy Wife, who sewed my suit for me, I found that the standard print from Gun Head designs was a bit too small for someone who is 5'11" tall. So not having the feet and hands sewn was a big help. She's awesome!! Just an FYI if ordering from Gun Head, still an awesome print just check the sizing, I'm sure they can fix you up no problems.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422247191.960334.jpgIMG_3974.JPG
il_570xN_451212170_7pa7.jpg
Almost done. Working on the riveting now then I have to paint the inside of the shield, soooooo close. Working graveyard shifts is killing me. As you can see I just placed them on the back of the shield. I have to sand more on the back before I paint it as well, finger prints show up so easily. That small spot in the center is the hole I covered up with JB Weld + its where I am putting the Vibranium Shield Tag.....

Yes I see they are backwards, now...bwahaa ha ha ha

Last edited:
So I figured I'd show off a bit. Been not only working hard on getting my Captain America Suit done, but putting myself in Captain America Shape. Before Photos are 12 weeks ago today. I'm pretty proud of myself I must say. Not bad for an older guy at 41. No laughing.......
4460_1060688278531_1168266_n.jpg4460_1060687958523_3312558_n.jpg4460_1060688398534_1324279_n.jpg4460_1060687638515_5100164_n.jpg
231lbs to 187lbs. Thank you P90X and Shakeology....

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422329306.858583.jpg
And they're done! Finally. Here are all the paints I have been using as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422329407.240797.jpg
And the final coat of paint on the inside of the shield
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422329473.591580.jpg
I'll post more pictures once it's all put together.

captamericaCOLORSM.jpg3364434-3106405183-Capta.jpg
So while I am at the Con, I'm going to need something to carry the essentials, IE: Cell phone/Camera, money/wallet. So I have a few ideas, either I can make the duty belt, which I really don't want to do, or I can make a magnetic pouch that I attach to the back of my shield. The two pictures above are with the duty belt and without? Thoughts? Stay true to the Comic Cap, or give it a bit of my own personality.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back