Done / Completed Domed glass case stand for Trooper Trent's floating Jedi Training Remote

zapwizard Is the base meant to show the LED ring around the base above, or more like recessed and shine through the vent holes?
Mine is 1/2 way exposed and 1/2 hidden. Wondering if I should shim up the feet of the base.
The bottom edge of the light ring should be even with the top surface, that is the same layer that he glass sits on. If needed you can put washers or anything else under it to shim it up higher.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't suggest chopping up an MR. It's got it's own place and value for what it is.
Mrwax, Zapwizard, Trent; thank you very much for your replies... Trent it seems I missed out on your replica and being away from the replica game for so long I didn't even know such an accurate replica was built by a fellow member in the first place! Are you planning to do another run? also, do you offer built and painted kits as well? mtfbwy all...

Mrwax, Zapwizard, Trent; thank you very much for your replies... Trent it seems I missed out on your replica and being away from the replica game for so long I didn't even know such an accurate replica was built by a fellow member in the first place! Are you planning to do another run? also, do you offer built and painted kits as well? mtfbwy all...
you didn't miss out on anything. It's still an open/unlimited run, I just sell out faster than I can make them so you might just have to keep checking. I'll have more kits in a few more days. I don't build completed ones anymore as I want to honor the 1-100 limited edition I did a couple of years ago. But if you don't want to build it yourself, there are a few people who do commission builds of them. But they aren't hard. They're deceptively simple to build and quite fun. Full video tutorials of each step. message me or check out the thread (search project runs for floating training remote) if you want more info.

I have enough rubber feet to build just two more units. (after goldcylon's kit below)

Your choice: $60 pre-assembled, or $40 for a kit. (US Shipping included)

Last edited:
My thanks again for making this as it really adds to Trooper Trents creation.
87B4D4C2-624A-49CB-B6E3-97BF5267F7AA.jpeg

View attachment 1283920

If you are lucky enough to own one of Trooper_trent's amazing Floating Jedi Training Remotes, then you know that it deserves some protection. After all it is not easy to dust off a spinning ball. The slightest bump can send the remote crashing into the base.

Why put a spherical device into a square plastic box? Instead put it under a cool sci-fi looking solid glass dome instead!

-----------------------

View attachment 1283921

About the stand:
I have worked hard on the design of this stand. I 3D modeled the entire thing and then prototyped four times. All with the goal of making it easy for you folks to put together. The base is made from thin layers of plywood and is very solid. I used screw-on rubber feet so they will never fall off or creep away. An internal lip ensures the glass won't fall off without requiring the base to be wider than the glass. The tapered design helps keep the base hidden and enhances the display of the remote. The included brushed aluminum label is permanently laser etched, and has a cool silver/black Star Wars look. The base has vents to allow heat to escape from the electronics. A special cutout on one side allows the cord to connect to the base.

-----------------------

View attachment 1283922

Second run of 10 units open!
Notes on the 2nd run:
  • The metal label is no longer included (Sorry I ran out of bulk material for this)
  • Only available pre-assembled
How much does it cost (US shipping included):
$60 $75

or $40 for a unassembled kit (included cut wood, screws, and feet)

Items you need to source yourself:
  • Glass display dome cloche
    • The glass dome normally costs $46 on Amazon. Order the 8x8 dome, without the base. Amazon P/N: B006XIQILS
    • The glass domes are hand-blown glass. I have ordered three of them so far. All of them were of great quality. The only variance was the position of the thicker portion of glass at the top of the dome, and a few micro-bubbles. The glass is 1/8" (3.2mm) thick.
  • Trooper Trent's Jedi Training Remote and magnetic base
  • Shipping cost if outside the U.S. (See later in thread)
  • Torx T30 bit to drive the screws into the base.
What you are getting from me:
  • A stand made from layers of high quality birch plywood, and painted flat-black to match the magnetic base.
  • A pre-assembled and painted stand. (Sorry kits are no longer offered)
  • 4x Self-tapping screws to hold the magnetic base to the stand.
  • The stand has four rubber feet, held using screws to ensure the feet never fall off.
  • Shipping via USPS flat rate medium box inside the U.S.
Dimensions:
If placing the remote on a shelf ensure you have enough space overhead to remove the glass. As Trooper_trent recommends: Powering the remote on an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is a good idea.
  • Diameter: 8 inches (20.3cm)
  • Height including glass: 9 inches (23cm)
  • Minimum height required to remove the glass. This requires tilting the glass while lifting: 12 inches (30.5cm)
  • Minimum height require to remove glass straight up: 16 inches (40.6cm)
-----------------------

View attachment 1283923

Shipping:
I will be shipping these via a USPS flat rate (medium box). If you are outside the US; I will calculate actual shipping cost via either USPS or UPS. I don't control these costs so please take that into account when ordering. Note: I won't fudge any customs paperwork on your behalf. The box will ship from 78620, Texas, USA. You should be able to estimate your costs based on that information and the flat rate box size. If you are outside the USA: Please PM me with your shipping address so I can calculate the shipping cost. If you order more than one kit: Subtract $13.80 from your total, as I can ship multiple units in the same box.

Payment and time frame:
Payment will be accepted via Paypal. Please list as "goods and services" on Paypal. This gives me your address, as well as allowing me to send you a tracking number for the shipment. Please mention your RPF handle as comment. I am requesting prepayment. I will try to build and ship each kit within a week of the order.

First run details:
This group buy will be open until May 10th 2020. Payment will be due by May 15th. The quantity items will then be ordered, and the parts laser cut. I estimate shipment around May 23rd.

Interested, but not committed:
You may post that you are interested without committing, and I will send you a request near the end of the run. If you do commit, but then don't produce payment by the date above your name will be listed below.

Label options:
Labels are not available on the 2nd run.

----------------------
Signups:

Pre-assembled commitment:

#1 Trooper_trent. -Label 4, You get the one I built in the video for free!. Thanks for making this awesome prop design!
#2 & #3 2x PhantomPickle -Paid, Labels 2 & 4, Shipped
#4 & #5 2x the Pawn -Paid, Labels 2 & 4, Shipped
#6 1x Mpops89[/USER -Paid, Label 2, Shipped
#7 1x VicForce -Paid, Label 2, Shipped
#8 1x [USER=158397]Saranac
- Paid, Label 2, Shipped
#9 1x JediJohn182, Label 1 -Paid, Shipped
#10 1x Studio Kitbash, Label 2 _Paid, Shipped
#11 & #12 Airasys, 1 Pre-assembled, 1 Kit. Labels 2 & 4 -Paid, Shipped
#13 enaswede, Label 3 -Paid, Shipped
#14 ventuoguy - Paid (need to know what label), Shipped
#15 Pfockerchief Paid -Label 2, Shipped
#17 therooster - Paid, Label 4 (sorry labels were already etched), Shipped
#17 fonzie22 - Paid, Label 4, Shipped
#18 mrwax - Paid, Label 4, Shipped
#19 eanwood - Paid, Label 4, Shipped
#20 markpoon - Paid, Label 4, Shipped
#21 Punisher96 - Paid, Label 4, Shipped

Second run of ten units
#22 jamiemp -Paid, Shipped
#23 shull24 -Paid, Shipped
#24 kitjunky -Paid, Shipped
#25 jedimax -Paid, Shipped
#26 DarthWilder, Paid, Shipped
#27 SloppyGhost, Paid, Shipped
#28 NoSloppy, Paid, Shipped
#29 uglyguitarguy, Paid, Shipped
#30 goldcylon, Paid, Shipped
#31 Leonidas280, Paid, Shipped
#32 pnag, Paid, Shipped
Are you gonna do another run soon?

djcbooks81 & FLOORINGJEDI
I have added you two to a list of 12 slots that will need to be filled before I do a run. This is the tipping point at which it uses up most of the hardware minimum order. It was much easier to make these all at once than to make them one at a time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back