CLONE WARS weekly discussion thread

Even a quick touch of Vader's music after the kill. Juxtaposed with Anakin's lighthearted charm, it was a pretty nice touch.

The OWK love story aaaaallllmost got too schmaltzy for me, but they didn't quite step over the line, and I always enjoy seeing more layers to my favorite character. It's nice to see that there's more there than a one dimensional stern teacher figure. When he was talking to Anakin and he said something to the effect of "Yoda doesn't even mention the remorse" I actually found it kind of touching.

Man, that ship was stupid looking though!

I kind of like it the way they handle things. I prefer that their use of force powers is more in line with the movies than the video games. You never really see too many particular agile uses of force powers in the movies like you do in the games. I think people forget that. Look at the Yoda/X-Wing scene in ESB...sure, he moves an x-wing, but it takes incredible effort and concentration and afterward, Yoda is fairly spent. The Jedi have an affinity for the force, but they are not super-heroes either.

Ok, you don't see much force-play in the OT, but of the 4 force users, 2 are beyond geriatric, one's middle-aged with sever respitory problems (and probably has arthritis is whatever joints he has left) and the last one's too feeble minded to understand his powers.

But go to the PT and they're throwin people and objects, left and right. Bouncing off walls and running down hallways at 90mph. They have pretty good use of the force there. And TCW cartoon doesn't take place much after that. And this is when Obi and Annikin are in their prime. Yet none of them seem to remember that they have any force powers.

-Fred

Ok, you don't see much force-play in the OT, but of the 4 force users, 2 are beyond geriatric, one's middle-aged with sever respitory problems (and probably has arthritis is whatever joints he has left) and the last one's too feeble minded to understand his powers.

But go to the PT and they're throwin people and objects, left and right. Bouncing off walls and running down hallways at 90mph. They have pretty good use of the force there. And TCW cartoon doesn't take place much after that. And this is when Obi and Annikin are in their prime. Yet none of them seem to remember that they have any force powers.

-Fred

Well, sometimes they do. They certainly make a LOT of use of force jumps. Those guys make some preposterous leaps and falls. And in the Toydaria episode, Yoda's practically a Kryptonian ninja.

So why not just cut off the hand? Much less death and the chance to interrogate a prisoner.

That's exactly what I was thinking - Obi-wan is a notorious arm-lopper, why not free this guy's arm from his body. Or, force grab the stupid detonator away from him - again, poor use of force powers.

-Fred

That's exactly what I was thinking - Obi-wan is a notorious arm-lopper, why not free this guy's arm from his body. Or, force grab the stupid detonator away from him - again, poor use of force powers.

-Fred

Maybe that's why Jedi aren't supposed have :love kind of feelings -> it messes with their Jedi logic.

I'm enjoying a back story on obi-wan and I think Satine a great character despite being a pacifist. The love confessions were a touch too obvious and unoriginal, but still better than Anakin and Padme.

And yeah, that ship was ridiculously shaped. :lol

-Fred

That's exactly what I thought. I kept thinking that maybe they decided that they couldn't risk him hitting the button before they Force yanked it, but if you really yanked with the Force he wouldn't have time. Oh well. The Anakin bit at the end was funny though.

cayman shen said:
Man, that ship was stupid looking though!

I always go over and watch the show with my nephew and my mom walked into the room and said that ship looked stupid. :lol Just look at the clearance issues for that thing. You could only land it, heck even fly it, in certain areas.

Well after seeing what they did to the Mandalorians I have decided I am no longer going to watch this show. They basically erased some of the best of the modern SW universe. I tried to get into it, even tried to watch it a second time, but nope I can get the rape of one of the best story lines in the modern star wars universe.

For me it just a separate and fun cartoon from the SW saga. I don't take it that seriously . It is a great cartoon with all the rest of the dull lineup on cartoon network.

I enjoyed the last episode, and I enjoy how they're portraying Death Watch. I have to say, however, that security on Coruscant sucks. I mean, two guys standing at the door of the galactic senate turn their heads and anyone can walk in? I have to be herded through a one lane corridor to a metal detector just to get into my podunk county courthouse...

Well after seeing what they did to the Mandalorians I have decided I am no longer going to watch this show. They basically erased some of the best of the modern SW universe. I tried to get into it, even tried to watch it a second time, but nope I can get the rape of one of the best story lines in the modern star wars universe.

George doesn't care. I liked the history of the three major players, the Sith, The Jedi and the Mandalorians. That was pretty much torn up with these last three episodes. While it sucks, since that bit of EU was growing on me, it still does not detract from the fact that The Clone Wars is a good show.

I don't know much about the EU Mandalorian story, so all I have to go on is the cartoon at this point... I thought last night's episode was really good for several reasons.

- It further showed the manipulation of the individual worlds of the republic by the chancellor. He is so good at dividing people against each other in order to gain support of public opinion to grab more power. Satine sees right through it and wasn't swayed to give up the sovereignty of her planet in order to be 'protected'. I loved the dialogue of her explaining this principle.

- It demonstrated that when backed into a corner, Palpatine will do whatever it takes to continue faith in the very process that he is undermining! Instead of just going forward and occupying Mandalore despite the evidence, he actually backed down and went along with the senate's vote. He out smarted everyone by allowing Satine to win and pretending to be supportive of her, just as he did of Padme. So, even though they aren't concerned about the murders and attempts on her life, instead of taking the stance that the Republic is broken, Satine now thinks it is still somehow working, so long as you can get the right evidence and not die getting it.

- Obi-wan's loyalty to the Republic can be swayed by his friendship with Satine - even though he started out asking her to turn herself in, he was going to allow her not to turn herself in if she chose it - he wasn't going to turn her in. And Satine is not completely the pacifist she claims when it comes to losing someone she has admitted to loving - Despite criticizing him for using his lightsaber, she threw it to 'Obi' rather than see him killed. Ultimately, they both do come around to being loyal to the Republic, so long as both of them are safe in it. Again, a tribute to Palpatine's brilliant manipulation to keep people believing in him - until it's too late.

I hope there are more episodes with Mandalore and Satine, but I think the entire Saga is about demonstrating how blind those with good intentions and loyalty to good principles can be to the evil manipulators among them who only pretend to believe in the principles.

Becoming a revolutionary or rebel just isn't something this generation can do - which is why it was left to the next in the original movies.

There are a lot of fans who are trying to get the Clone Wars canon separate from the EU canon. I doubt Lucas will do it though. They, meaning Filoni and Lucas, are basically stomping through the EU changing things at will. Yeah Lucas can do that, but he's basically giving the finger to fans who've paid money to get the books for so long. I think most fans will ignore the Clone Wars and accept Karen Traviss' Mandalorians as canon.

I think most fans will ignore the Clone Wars and accept Karen Traviss' Mandalorians as canon.

It's not like fans actually have a choice unless they just start ignoring future stuff too. The SW Universe will continue moving forward and future writers will make everything fit back together as best they can.

SVS, you should not let that detract from the good stories on this show. I am a fan of Travis' work, but you have to know going in that EU will change whenever Lucas says so. He has made it clear that if it appears on screen, it is canon. He bends that rule as he sees fit though. *cough*Holidayspecial*cough*

And that's why I've ignored the EU since the original trilogy of Han Solo books and "Spinter of the Minds Eye". Luke marries Mara Jade? Han was an Imperial? Bleh... I can watch the show with no expectations regarding what's in the EU, and judge it on it's own merit. "There is no conflict."

Anyone else notice how they are also making the Mandolorian Jetpacks sputter when they ignite? Still trying to make Jango just taking it from Mace work. First adding the Jetpack sputtering to the Imax and eventual DVD release, and now making all of the Mandos Jetpacks sputter. Kinda funny.

Still love the show though. The first of this story arc was my favorite, he last two weren't nearly as good I thought.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back