CLONE WARS weekly discussion thread

They said something like "He's not a Mandolorian; he's a common bounty hunter." I took that to mean they were looking down their noses at him as a poor example of their race. As if the comment meant "he's not a REAL Mandolorian because he doesn't reflect Mando values." Not "he's literally not one of us." Or did I miss something?

Wasn't Jango sort of adopted into the Mandalorian culture?

Sounds like Vikings, or Norse, more properly. Blond men who go on a rampage, then come home to the farm and blonde wives. The women had lots of rights, and could divorce, or own their own land, while Christian women had little or none.

Sometimes they took slaves, and sometimes there were kids, and sometimes they took the kids into their families, or 'fostered' them.

But they really didn't want their daughters marrying one of those black [haired] guys.

I picked up on this Norse-type thing too. Even Mandalore looks like it was designed by IKEA to further push the scandinavian kick.

Overall a fun enough installment, and not to overthink it, but I found it silly that Kenobi got overpowered by 2 regular guys when he's beaten far more serious opponents. Why wouldn't he have just used the Force to push them away? It's a bad inconsistency in the writing.

As much as I enjoy this show, why the hell do the jedi never use their force powers?

Like last week - Ashoka could have force-grabbed the chick who was running away with her lightsaber. Or pushed her and knocked her over. Or anything, really. What's the point of having the force if you have no idea of how or when to use it?

In this last episode, Obi could have force-grabbed the governor while he was flying around with the jetpack. Or grabbed the guy before he jumped off the railing (and fell 4' to his death :unsure). Or used the force to redirect the missiles back at the death watch guys.

I'm seriously disappointed at the way force powers are being handled in the series. I get it, you can't have them use the force to solve everything, because there'd be no story. But there are times when, as a writer, you have to say "ok, if I were in a real-life situation like this, would I use such-and-such force power to solve this problem?".

This is almost like the jedi are just a group of guys in robes and oddly-placed armor. No diiferent than the average joe - except they carry a flashlight.

-Fred

Well there is the point that Yoda stated in I believe AOTC that the Jedi's ability to use the force is being eroded by the rise of the dark side-to paraphrase.

I agree that the Force is used inconsistently, and sometimes it's a slight problem for me...but to be fair it's also wildly inconsistent in the movies too. I think it's been clear that in times of extreme stress the Jedi can't always call on the force as reliably. Again, not consistently, but it's been like that in enough cases that I think the argument is warranted.

Why didn't Dooku just use the force to blow up or turn off the lightsabers that were held to his neck? Why didn't Vader just choke Luke unconscious and dump him in the carbonite? Why didn't Obi-wan just mindscrew some Geonosians into letting him free when he was captured? Why didn't Yoda break his fall in the senate chamber? Why didn't Obi-wan just use the force to run Maul through with Qui-gon's lightsaber by making it just leap off the floor and spear the guy? On and on. The force is inconsistent, as it has to be for there to be any menace at all. If anything, I wish the powers were consistently weaker so that we knew the hero couldn't always just jump 2000 feet to safety, that there's a risk this crap might not work.

When Anakin showed up I laughed out loud. That scene was great.

As humorous a touch as that was, taken in context of the line that preceded it, it was meant to foreshadow the "cold blooded killer" Anakin would become.

But a good episode overall. And that character was voiced by Greg Proops, right? I think I recognised the voice..

As humorous a touch as that was, taken in context of the line that preceded it, it was meant to foreshadow the "cold blooded killer" Anakin would become.

But a good episode overall. And that character was voiced by Greg Proops, right? I think I recognised the voice..

Yes, he did the same last week too. Nice to hear him do some more Star Wars!

I'm seriously disappointed at the way force powers are being handled in the series. I get it, you can't have them use the force to solve everything, because there'd be no story. But there are times when, as a writer, you have to say "ok, if I were in a real-life situation like this, would I use such-and-such force power to solve this problem?".

This is almost like the jedi are just a group of guys in robes and oddly-placed armor. No diiferent than the average joe - except they carry a flashlight.

-Fred

I kind of like it the way they handle things. I prefer that their use of force powers is more in line with the movies than the video games. You never really see too many particular agile uses of force powers in the movies like you do in the games. I think people forget that. Look at the Yoda/X-Wing scene in ESB...sure, he moves an x-wing, but it takes incredible effort and concentration and afterward, Yoda is fairly spent. The Jedi have an affinity for the force, but they are not super-heroes either.

That's why I laughed when the blue lightsaber popped out of his chest right after he said the line. Nicely done.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back