Clear resin

Brien

I am looking for a easy source for a clear resin to make miniatures. Something like Walmart. Anyone in the Baltimore area able to help me out? Could I use the material the use to make water on model railroads?

Hi Brien,

Check out a craft store like Michael's or Pat Catan's. Most of the larger stores will carry polyester casting resin, and also the catalyst agent required to harden it. I've never looked at Wall-Mart, but it might be worth a check in their [small] craft section to see if they carry it--but a large craft or hobby store is your best bet.

Cheers.

Walmart did carry something like that. But the stuff turned yellow after awhile.

To cast clear you need to cast it underpressure to get the air bubbles out. Also heating up the mold with a heat gun helps things out to. And one thing I'd do is clear coat what ever you are molding. I casted something I wet sanded. It was smooth as glass but it transfered the matte finsihed to the casted piece.

Jim

www.wegottafindearth.com

Originally posted by thestargateman@Jan 17 2006, 03:33 AM
Hi Brien,

Check out a craft store like Michael's or Pat Catan's. Most of the larger stores will carry polyester casting resin, and also the catalyst agent required to harden it. I've never looked at Wall-Mart, but it might be worth a check in their [small] craft section to see if they carry it--but a large craft or hobby store is your best bet.

Cheers.
[snapback]1160887[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back