Cleaning/Restoring a Graflex

neurosean

Looked high and low and really came up with some good general ideas for cleaning and restoring, but was hoping to get some of the experts opinions on restoring a graflex clamp piece.

To my admittedly untrained eye, the large black patch near the top appears to be the nickel worn down to the base and then oxidation. I used some Brasso and it cleaned some of it but its still pretty visible. I used a pen with a polishing/sanding brush to clean a little more off but still pretty visible.

I have a repro clamp on its way so I am trying to figure out if there are some experimental things I could try to get this to look fairly clean/pristine. My goal is to do a static crystal chamber reveal ESB,

Anyone done any sort of repainting on the graflexes? Since this is going to be an ESB, the mylar tape is going across the middle but the top and bottom will be the metal. I thought maybe a very light coating of a nickel colored spray paint would be enought to let the patch blend in a little more with the surrounding metal as opposed to the black of the oxidation.

Worst case scenario I have a custom build I want to do that calls for a black clamp, so I could just use it for that, but do hate to do that to an original. I just really want the Luke ESB to be pretty screen accurate, but a cleaned well taken care of version.

20150530_120045953_iOS.jpg20150530_120106252_iOS.jpg

Duck for cover! You're inciting the wrath of Chaim!

its great as is... Character and all... But I too know the desire for a pristine version

Believe me I appreciate the weathered used look as much as the next person, in fact my Roman's weathered Obi-Wan is one of my favorites. I just really want this to be an idealized ESB. One could argue that using a vintage graflex for a pristine idealized version is a bit oxymoronic, but to me I like to think if given the chance and equipment that the "real" lightsabers would have been cared for, polished, fixed up, and generally well used but clean. So why not use the real lightsaber base and idealize it as much as is possible,

Duck for cover! You're inciting the wrath of Chaim!

its great as is... Character and all... But I too know the desire for a pristine version

I am in the process of replating some Graflex parts in nickel. The results have not been what I want just yet. As for the pitting, I don't know that anything can be done to smooth that out that won't also leave marks of its own. As for cleaning, you can try a white vinegar/water bath to remove some stuff, or also electro-cleaning...both of which require an attentive watchful eye. Too much of either of these can cause corrosion/damage of their own.

I would probably stay away from any metallic spray paints, but I also don't have a ton of experience with those either.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back