Clay???

Hobby Lobby sells it too for the same price but they often have a 40% off any regular item coupon... you can walk in with two people get two 4.5lb blocks of van aken clay for $15ish total (dont want to do the exact math) lol...

That's a good deal!

Yeah!!! judging by your epic falconer... id say the clay is good quality too! I'll be getting some soon I need to mark an armature to work off of for the bio

Yeah!!! judging by your epic falconer... id say the clay is good quality too! I'll be getting some soon I need to mark an armature to work off of for the bio

LOL...thanks. I think I only around 11 lbs of clay. I'd get more to have some extra, that and if it's inexpensive I'd go for more. I'm going to use WED clay for Falconers chest/back armor and his boots. I figure 100 lbs for $50 isn't bad.

I can take some pics of my armature if you want, it's made off of xdmray's gen 1 half mask. I think xdmray has some pics up of his somewhere.

Yeah man! Daman took some pics of his for me, if you have them that would be cool but you really don't have to go out of your way for it I have that mask too so it should be epic :)

Yeah man! Daman took some pics of his for me, if you have them that would be cool but you really don't have to go out of your way for it I have that mask too so it should be epic :)

IMG_20110314_212055.jpg

All I did was put saran wrap over the half mask and tape down the edges so that it was flat to the mask. I just put two layers of plaster bandages on the exterior and waited till they dried. I then put two more layers on the inside. Once they dried, I spray expandable foam on the inside to make the armature firm.

Thought this thread deserved a revive. Plus I had a clay related question. Working on a project and trying to smooth it out. I tried a paint brush and rubbing alcohol but it didn't seem to work very well. What else can I use? What works best?

Ack, I forgot to mention that. I'm using the Van Akin non sulfur clay mentioned in this thread. I just need to find a better product to smooth the clay with. The rubbing alcohol isn't working so good.

Yea for some reason the 91% doesn't really do anything but the 99% will, also get some lighter fluid I'm not sure exactly how it will react with van aken but with chavant it works wonders.

-Chris

i never have any problems with odorless white spirits. plus it doesn't smell like alcohol or lighter fluid.
you can get it at walmart too.

I echo what xdmray mentioned, I use white spirits too and I have Van Aken Plastina clay. Just takes time to smoothin it out. It takes me a while.

Has anyone had a chance to try this clay? It's called Modeling Clay. The description says "This economical, non-toxic, oil-based modeling clay never crumbles or hardens. It becomes more pliable as it is warmed by the hands." Would this work for the modeling of the predator head or would I be better off buying the Van Akin Plastalina Modeling Clay? It's half the price of the Van Akin.

Heres the link for the regular modeling clay. BTW, can both of these be used with silicone moldings? Or what would you wanna use to make the mold?
http://www.dickblick.com/products/modeling-clay/

There are a couple members who I think have mentioned using it. If I remember correctly it's pretty good. Likely better than what I've bought via hobby lobby etc. Hopefully, others will chime in as well.

all of these pprofessional clays can be purchased form an effects supply like Frend's, Burman, Nigel's, MPFX, FX Warehouse, Monster Makers, Tiranti, Mouldlife, Form Effects, and more

Okay, I'm kinda sorta thinking about upgrading to a better clay for future sculpts. I've been using the hobby lobby brand van akin. The main thing I like about it is you can rip into the package and get started immediately. It warms up quickly in your hands and can be pushed around easily. However, it just seems okay at smoothing out properly and retaining details.

I've heard good things about chavant and monster clay but I can't decide on which. I'd rather not heat and reheat clay all the time. What would have a quick working time but still retain details and smooth out nicely?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back