Clay Question, Help Please!

XilianX2010

Hey guys, It may be to late, but I just need to ask, but is it alright to use air-dry clay for sculpting a Predator head, then make a 2-peice mold from it? I couldn't find and oil-based clay where I live, only air-dry. I bout 20 lbs of it, but I'm able to sculpt pretty well with it, and able to keep it wet, so it won't dry out. I just didn't know if air-dry clay will affect the mold when I make a 2 peice mold. Will it work?

Thanx!
-Abby
Here's what it looks like so far:

IMG_1562.JPG

Using air dry clay is fine just dont let it dry out to much or it will start cracking after you finish put a damp towel over it.
Alot of ppl use air dry clay.sculpt is looking good.

depending on what brand of air dry clay it is you can usually add a little bit of oil (olive oil ect) to the clay when you first get it or just put a little on your hands and rub over it then remove excess. im not sure if thiss will work for you but its worked for me so far. hope this helps (if its not to late)

your sculpt is looking awsome by the way :)

Using air dry clay is fine just dont let it dry out to much or it will start cracking after you finish put a damp towel over it.
Alot of ppl use air dry clay.sculpt is looking good.

Thank you, I have been keeping it wet so it won't dry out. I keep a wet towel over it over night when Im not working on it.

depending on what brand of air dry clay it is you can usually add a little bit of oil (olive oil ect) to the clay when you first get it or just put a little on your hands and rub over it then remove excess. im not sure if thiss will work for you but its worked for me so far. hope this helps (if its not to late)

your sculpt is looking awsome by the way :)

Thanx! I bought my clay from Michaels, and we couldn't find oil-based clay. I'll try the technique you did. What's the different with Oil-based and air-dry clay? Besides one an dry out and one can't, can it be sculpted in different ways?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back