Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Re: Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

I just pulled my 232 kit out and held it up the back end of the Viper. Sure looks close (certainly good enough for me).

Great find on the 250 suspension part.

Gene

Mr. Gene,

I may know what kit the header pipes come from. It also appears that the louvers for the Cylon Raider came from this same kit. Don't hold me to that, but it certainly looks promising.

I'll get a couple photos.

Rob.

Hey cool news!

by complete coincidence ...
talking to MoffEaton the other day he mentioned getting a car kit on it's way in the mail (for a different project) but suspected the headers in it may the ones we are looking for.

It may be the correct kit , -possibly even the same kit you guys have discovered.

He'll post if it pans out
It's just nice to get "double" affirmation

M

Yeah, I stumbled across some header pipes in a box of parts I was going through. I went, "Huh? Where'd these come from?" Oh, well, too late now. I remade those things years ago out of styrene tube. And with the rear mount the thing now has, totally irrelevant. Still.... always curious - you never know what else is lurking inside the same box and where it will come in handy............

Gene

I'm pretty sure the louvers for the Cylon were not kit parts. The canopy on that ship went through a lot of revisions on the fly - from simple scribed lines on flat window panes, to a few broad slats, to more narrow slats.

As for the header pipes, if you look at some of the vintage dragster/funny cars, you'll see that many of them offer a set of four pipes, already bent and molded together. It's just a matter of finding the right kit.

Gene

I've studied the track links up close, and don't think the Italeri T34 kits are the correct source - check out the thumbnail. There are trenches between every link, whereas the viper links border on each other without 'trenches'. Also, a small detail is missing at regular intervals. I have purchased the 4 kits in picture two so far, and none of them have the correct tracks. The Italeri version is by far the closest, if anyone wants to get a good substitute.

My two cents.

Guys,
Just a heads up. If anyone is interested, I'll be making painting templates for the new Viper kit.

This way you can have more control over the color of the stripes (in case you want to make your own color squadron), or if you want to do more weathering/chipping than you can do with the decals.

they'll cover the grey stripes on the fron of the engines as well as the red/orange stripes

Hello, I have a (MIM) kit that I had purchased & finshed several years ago. I will post some pics. The details on my kit were too soft & I replaced them with some kit parts (My Viper is not screen accurate). I remember hearing that someone had a parts run on the laser wing guns with a more accurate machined replacement. If anyone has any part replacements to upgrade this kit for sale, please pm me privately. Thanks, Jc

Last edited:

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry It has been some time since I posted to this wonderful thread.
Suffice to say life (for me) has been a little crazy.
At last I can come clean...
For some time now I have been discreetly working in Concert with Mike Salzo and Jesse M. on a new studio scale TOS Viper Kit offering.

Mike wanted to keep the project on the "QT" until he was ready to go public.
I'm happy to say he has announced the release of the new kit over on this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=49774

and in the RI Board:
http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=4035

I felt honored to get to contribute in a small way to the making of this Kit.
I t was great to get to work with Mike and Jesse who have such talent and have made some of the best "garage kit" offerings "out there" today.

I certainly encourage anyone here to continue Scratch-building their own Viper project/build-up. It is very rewarding to make such a challenging subject all on your own.
Just in case you like the convenience of a kit you may want to check out Mike's All New SS TOS VIPER PATTERN, 15 1/2 inches completely scratchbuilt new pattern.

Oh yeah, I don't make any money/commission from the sales of this kit. I just love the subject matter.

Last edited:

I should mention while working on the new kit certain promises had to be kept and I was kept "in the dark" on the source Kits of some of the greebles used to make the studio scale model.
I certainly respect the need of those I worked with to keep there word.

That being said I was free to search and try to discover the source kits on my own.. as we have all been doing together on this thread.

Anything I discovered on my own I have freely shared on this thread
I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge in kind.

One last Source kit to post. I didn't find this one on my own, someone else gave me this tip and I'd like to share it

Here's the source kit for the Rear Pipes:

The original kit used was the 1/25 Jo-Han Mickey Thompson Pinto
But you can substitute a number of other similar Jo-han kits that have the same parts tree.
Such as:
Torid Little Funny Pinto
Mustang Digger
Mickey Thompson Mustang

You can readily find these kits for sale on eBay for less than $25.00
Hope this helps
Mike

I almost forgot.

Great paint Job! Fright-Zone very nice!

PM me about some Laser cut files for the wings.

Funny how some discoveries just sort of pop up when you least expect it. This may be completely moot now, since we have the wonderful Salzo TOS Viper kit and don't really need to ID and kit parts any more. (As evidenced by the fact that I had to go back to page 10 to resurrect this thread.)

I was at one of my local electronic places this weekend, and discovered this little bugger:

attachment.php

To my amazement, what immediately popped into my mind was - "Those are the damn things from the Viper that we've never been able to ID."

I took one home and compared it to a casting that I had and, well, look at this:

attachment.php

I know I had tried a bunch of different kits - motorcycle chain links, tank tread end connectors, even electronic stuff like light sockets. Well, the industrial part was close. Turns out they are ferrite beads, used in electronics to manipulate some sort of signal. While these may not be "the ones", they certainly are close. Close enough for me to try and track down some more.......

Gene

Incredibly cool Viper! blows away the kit I had as a kid!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Whoa! Where did that Battlestar galactica Model kit come from? That is totally cool!!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back