Circle cutter for styrene?

MGC

Sr Member
Hopefully this is the right area for this...

I need to do a buildup that involes a lot concentric circles with different reliefs, and I've decided to use styrene for the build. What's the best way of cutting out perfect circles with styrene? I'll be doing loads of them so doing it by hand and sanding it down doesn't really appeal... I've heard of circle cutting tools but there seem to be different types and I'm not sure what's best suited to the job, so I thought I'd turn it over to you guys.

UK-based links would be appreciated!

Olfa makes an assortment of cutters.
If the styrene is thin enough all you really need to do is scribe, flex and snap.
You can use a regular compass with 2 metal tips for this or you can even tape a exacto knife to the compass leg.

Have them laser cut... Or have them die cut... Short of that you will be doing a lot of hand sanding...

Hi Frinky,
If you want pieces laser cut for a good price, I use a company called Zap Creatives! They are in the UK, and I've always had good experiences with them. I've had loads of pieces of perspex cut from 3-10mm thickness.
I usually send them my designs as Corel Draw files, get a quote for each piece and away you go. They accept Paypal.
Zap! Creatives | Laser Cutting | Acrylic Printing

Good luck.

Tie one end of a string to a suction cup. Tie the other end to a blade.

It won't be perfect, but it will be close. And cheap.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lot to think on!

Hi Frinky,
If you want pieces laser cut for a good price, I use a company called Zap Creatives! They are in the UK, and I've always had good experiences with them. I've had loads of pieces of perspex cut from 3-10mm thickness.
I usually send them my designs as Corel Draw files, get a quote for each piece and away you go. They accept Paypal.
Zap! Creatives | Laser Cutting | Acrylic Printing

Good luck.

Ooh, that's quite interesting. I think if I was going that route I'd probaby just use a router and get it out of MDF but that's certianly worth looking into, thanks. Pity I've not got corel (is it available for mac?) and have no idea how to use illustrator. Sure they can do me just the circles with the correct measurements, though. That's really cool, thanks for that link, I will have to give it some thought. What are their prices like? I'm still at the costing phase for my client.

Olfa makes an assortment of cutters.
If the styrene is thin enough all you really need to do is scribe, flex and snap.
You can use a regular compass with 2 metal tips for this or you can even tape a exacto knife to the compass leg.

Like one of these?

Olfa Circle Cutter

Figured snap'n'score would be the way to go with it.

Prices, uh it depends on the cut and complexity I think, but if you just wanted discs cut, it should probably work out fairly cheap, would depend on how many and size etc.
Send them an e-mail with the number of discs and diameters and tell them you can send your own styrene sheet, will probably workout a bit cheaper.
Good luck.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back