Chrometrooper Chrome Trooper build.

Stony Props

cptph1.jpg

I haven't been big on building any Star Wars weapons or costumes in the past do to the overwhelming amount of great builders already working the **** out of that subject matter. However after seeing the new Star Wars trailer 4 days ago I figured I'd put together this chrometrooper character that briefly showed up.

I commissioned Jacob Morin one of my lead modelers over at Stony Props to see what he could come up with for a model based on the 1second glance we had on video.
He threw this together for me in record time. The model is now sliced up and on the printer. Sculpting over should begin in the next day or 2.

3d1.PNG3d2.PNG

Some of the components are not being shown on this version of the model, but they are completed and in production.

Thanks for looking.
Jim McCrea / Stony Props

Last edited:
GET HYPE! We're working on the blaster over at JJ Armory Inc (with the tactical stock as an additional accessory) so I'll be following this build super closely :)

Here's a 24 hours later update.
I got home from work today at about 5:30 and the 3D printer just finished up.

The next stage was gluing the parts together and lining up the detail correctly (3D parts off a makerbot rep 2 tend to warp slightly & it's critical to re-alien everything correctly).
Heat guns help straighten things out.

tr1.jpg tr2.jpgtr3.jpg

The next 2 hours or so I was able to start the ruff sanding along with re-detailing in some of the basic lines. I was only able to get started on one side for now. I hear the Star Wars guys can be real sticklers on details so I'll do my best to keep this one to being as accurate as I can based on few released images so far.

tr4.jpgtr5.jpg

I don't post much on this site so I don't know many of the builders here & with that being said I don't expect many people to know me.
I mostly have been building w/in the Halo theme & haven't had much of a reason to branch out, so this builds a bit out of my comfort zone. However, I figured what the hell, it's just another helmet & I should be able to pull this off with all the same build techniques & tricks that I'm used to using. Beside I really like the Star Wars franchise & I was impressed with the images of this character in the new trailer.
Thanks for looking
Jim McCrea / Stony Props

About 24 to 30 hours run time. It's a low-res print so it went fast. I sculpt over the top of most of the print so it makes no sense for me to print them in a higher resolution.

Day 2 on the helmet. Sanding Sanding Sanding..........& more sanding.
The foundation is working itself out slowly but surely. I add primmer on areas periodically to help me identify the bad spots so that they can be re-worked little by little one spot at a time.
The devil will be in the details but without a clean foundation all the finishing in the world wont save the build.

Any constructive criticisms or suggestions are welcome. I'd like this one to turn out great & with your input I may have a shot at getting it right.

trd21.jpgtrd22.jpg
trd23.jpgtrd24.jpg
trd25.jpgtrd26.jpg

How are you doing the chrome? Alclad, vac metalizing or actual chroming? Paint would be a pain to do as I can't imagine the amount of scratches that will occur.

A great suggestion that resulted from some other fan-helmets of the EP7 trooper (and as someone who's painted one) is to mold and cast the "duckbill" piece separately. It makes finishing 1000% easier.

My thoughts as well on the duckbill, It's good to hear you suggest that as well it helps me solidify that thought. I'm also thinking the same for the other 2 inserts by the corners of the mouth.

I really thought your first renders were way off...

I thought your printed parts looked off...

But WOW!!! I see what you did there!

After the added sculpting and "duck bill" it really looks great.

that really captures the feel of what we see in the trailer shot.

GREAT work thus far! God only knows what the under chin area and rear area actually look like...

Can we get a front on shot angled like the pics from the trailer?

Day 2 on the helmet. Sanding Sanding Sanding..........& more sanding.
The foundation is working itself out slowly but surely. I add primmer on areas periodically to help me identify the bad spots so that they can be re-worked little by little one spot at a time.
The devil will be in the details but without a clean foundation all the finishing in the world wont save the build.

Any constructive criticisms or suggestions are welcome. I'd like this one to turn out great & with your input I may have a shot at getting it right.

Last edited:
Chroming has always been challenge for me & helmets. I may try several ways including Alclad & a newer one that came out that is supposed to be better along with the plastic chroming 3 stage spray applications that are popping up.

Jim, this is looking incredible. Color me officially excited. Any chance you'd be willing to do a trade for one of our blasters for one of these bad boys? ;)

My thoughts as well on the duckbill, It's good to hear you suggest that as well it helps me solidify that thought. I'm also thinking the same for the other 2 inserts by the corners of the mouth.

This looks fantastic so far. A couple of possibly dumb questions... In the attached art, it looks like the lenses are set into a contoured bezel underneath the duck bill, will you be incorporating that? Also what are your thoughts about making the texture pattern around the mouth as part of the master, vs. attached after casting (assuming the goal is to cast this)?

bE5El8k.png

This looks fantastic so far. A couple of possibly dumb questions... In the attached art, it looks like the lenses are set into a contoured bezel underneath the duck bill, will you be incorporating that? Also what are your thoughts about making the texture pattern around the mouth as part of the master, vs. attached after casting (assuming the goal is to cast this)?

View attachment 469083

I'Il sculpt out the hex details. The visors will be made to be cut out and I'll make vac formed lenses for it. They should be shaped as pictured.

I3D printed out the little pieces that go in the corners of the mouth area. I wasn't happy with the shape so I made a quick clay mold of the 3D printed ones. Pulled out 2 quick copies from casting resin & then re-shaped & contoured them to fit. Most of my other efforts have been addressing the little flaws and cleaning up the lines. I have lots of clean-up yet to do but this is moving along quickly. (the site wont let me load more photos, I'll try again later).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back