Christopher Nolan's OPPENHEIMER

Matt Damon was great as well.

matt damon GIF

I can’t help myself…. :)

Saw it with my parents. As expected, my Mom definitely didn't like the sexual stuff, but I told her it could have been much more graphic. She agreed.
Our biggest issue, was how that first hour really cuts back and forth so much, it was a bit hard to follow.
I really think the movie could easily be cut down to 2 hours and still be basically the same.
I was really more interested in the atomic bomb creation more than his personal life. They could have touched on that, but more focus on the science parts.
It was intense leading up to the actual test, which I liked.
Josh, from Nickelodeon's Drake and John got to push the button. Thought that was kinda funny.

Saw it with my parents. As expected, my Mom definitely didn't like the sexual stuff, but I told her it could have been much more graphic. She agreed.
Our biggest issue, was how that first hour really cuts back and forth so much, it was a bit hard to follow.
I really think the movie could easily be cut down to 2 hours and still be basically the same.
I was really more interested in the atomic bomb creation more than his personal life. They could have touched on that, but more focus on the science parts.
Josh, from Nickelodeon's Drake and John got to push the button. Thought that was kinda funny.
Did he get all shaky and nervous? Like maybe someone had sweet talked him into doing something sketchy? Like every episode of Drake and Josh ever made? If so, he was born for this role, this moment in time.

Not a movie I'd watch with my dear mother due to the rather explicit scenes. I remember watching The Pacific and there are a few scenes, one being full frontal male nudity and another explicit sex scene that I didn't think even fit. But neither does one want to be sitting there watching with their mother.

I do agree that they could have probably taken about 25-35 minutes out and it would still have been a very good film. I've sat through shorter movies, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Doom for example, and that seemed twice as long. Even got up for a bathroom break without worrying about missing something. With Oppenheimer, I didn't move.

I will say that seeing this movie a few days after Indiana Jones, the overuse of CGI in the latter really hit home. With period films such as these two; in Oppenheimer I felt like I was in the 40's/ 50's thanks to everything being period sourced and used. Where as with the latest Indy movie, I felt as if I was in a poor-mans Marvel Movie. It's really distracting from the story and one would think after thirty years of CGI, it would be getting better, not regressing.

One thing perhaps some may be missing is a major theme in this movie; the old axiom of failing to learn from history which we are repeating. So as to not violate any forum rules, I'll leave it at that with the point being made for those who've seen the movie. For those who've not, it will be rather obvious. That part of the movie is, despite knowing the outcome, is still very compelling and relevant to the goings on with our current government and world affairs.

Shawn

Not a movie I'd watch with my dear mother due to the rather explicit scenes. I remember watching The Pacific and there are a few scenes, one being full frontal male nudity and another explicit sex scene that I didn't think even fit. But neither does one want to be sitting there watching with their mother.

I do agree that they could have probably taken about 25-35 minutes out and it would still have been a very good film. I've sat through shorter movies, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Doom for example, and that seemed twice as long. Even got up for a bathroom break without worrying about missing something. With Oppenheimer, I didn't move.

I will say that seeing this movie a few days after Indiana Jones, the overuse of CGI in the latter really hit home. With period films such as these two; in Oppenheimer I felt like I was in the 40's/ 50's thanks to everything being period sourced and used. Where as with the latest Indy movie, I felt as if I was in a poor-mans Marvel Movie. It's really distracting from the story and one would think after thirty years of CGI, it would be getting better, not regressing.

One thing perhaps some may be missing is a major theme in this movie; the old axiom of failing to learn from history which we are repeating. So as to not violate any forum rules, I'll leave it at that with the point being made for those who've seen the movie. For those who've not, it will be rather obvious. That part of the movie is, despite knowing the outcome, is still very compelling and relevant to the goings on with our current government and world affairs.

Shawn
I actually planned to go alone, but I had mentioned it to my parents. My Mom had saw that it said some sexual parts, so she thought maybe I could just see it with my Dad, but he insisted she also go.
I told her just to close her eyes.
During that first scene, she leans over and is like, guess this is where I'm suppose to close my eyes.

As for the actual nuke scene, I really thought they did good at the suspense building up to it, and knowing it was all real non-nuke footage was cool, but, after watching tons of real nuclear test footage, I do think it was missing that ball of fire with its shockwave. I know they hit the actors with a bit of a shockwave, but thats the more safe part, not like out in the desert.
It was alright.
I'd probably never care to watch this again, but to at least get the history part of it. I'm sure some of it was Hollywooded up a bit.

This movie is a serious dud IMHO.

It's basically 3 hours of OP not getting his security clearance, then defending why he should get it back and then not getting it back. His personal issues as a womaniser, clashing with the military and trying to get the world to agree to an nuclear arms agreement feature but it's all so pedestrian and the reason why is because his story is average at best. Yes he lead the program, but what's so thrilling about that...??...Nothing in particular.

The story is an interesting documentary, but it's hardy high drama. I think it's seriously overrated.

The worst part is the first test of the bomb is just so uninspiring...loud music and some balls of fire. Nothing like the real thing at all.
Now having a few days to really think on everything. While I can appreciate the director trying to do everything practical and stay away from CGI, but something was missing from that nuke test. So looking on youtube of all the tests they did in the late 40s and 50s, one of the biggest things is that huge fireball that quickly engulfs everything. It just looks different than a gas made ball of fire. Theres also the shock wave, that blows up and then sucks back in a way thats really hard to reproduce with practical effects.
These youtube videos of the real thing are just amazing to watch. Maybe transfer this footage to IMAX and I'll just go watch that....lol.
Unless you've read the book or know a bit of his story, going and watching it without knowing much, other than just watching the trailer and read a few things last week, I went in knowing almost nothing, so therefore I was pretty lost. The cutting back and forth, color, black and white, this year, that year.....It was really hard to follow.

Now having a few days to really think on everything. While I can appreciate the director trying to do everything practical and stay away from CGI, but something was missing from that nuke test. So looking on youtube of all the tests they did in the late 40s and 50s, one of the biggest things is that huge fireball that quickly engulfs everything. It just looks different than a gas made ball of fire. Theres also the shock wave, that blows up and then sucks back in a way thats really hard to reproduce with practical effects.
These youtube videos of the real thing are just amazing to watch. Maybe transfer this footage to IMAX and I'll just go watch that....lol.
Unless you've read the book or know a bit of his story, going and watching it without knowing much, other than just watching the trailer and read a few things last week, I went in knowing almost nothing, so therefore I was pretty lost. The cutting back and forth, color, black and white, this year, that year.....It was really hard to follow.

I have to agree. The explosion wasn't accurate as to movies and photographs of the Trinity site. I think the point of the movie was how Oppenheimer was treated afterwards and not the explosion per se, but certainly it wouldn't have taken away from that idea, if the explosion was more accurate. Since I used to see a lot of real explosions when in the Air Force and my training in EOD, I find that Hollywood just never gets it right anyway, so I tend not to complain about that part of special effects or else I'll have an issue with just about every movie.

TazMan2000

Nice.
Imagine a hallway with nine 35mm projectors going at once. Thats how it was at the theater I worked at. Nine on each side, and two more for the bigger theaters up front. 22 total.
I even have this sound I recorded as well in 2002, although not with a great mic.

Mine theater was IMAX digital, and sitting around the middle, I could totally see the pixels. After a while you get used to it and into the movie, they mostly disappear, but every now and then, I could still see it in the edges.
IMAX on actual film would be nice to watch, but theres just hardly any theaters like that anymore.

And look, you got to watch it with Senator Palpatine himself.....lol.
Palpatine.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back